Re: [NH] How things work (Lindows antz)

  • Rudolf Horbas
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 31, 2002
      Hi Alec,

      > In Lindows newsletter they have this URL: http://www.lindows.com/mseula which leads to a page that appears to ants crawling across an MSFT eula. Out of curiosity I saved the whole thing as an .MHT file to see if I could figure out how the crawling ants are done. Is it just some image file containing multiple images?
      >
      > Maybe one of the wizards here could have a look at the source and point me to which bit is drawing the ants?

      I'm not a wizard, but I can see that this is is a Flash Movie
      (http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/)
      HTML only serves as a wrapper for the flash file here ...

      Greetings,
      Germany/Munich/Rudi
    • Ed Brown
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 31, 2002
        Even more amazing was how you could move the magnifying lens around and it
        would continually magnify the ants.
        Ed

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 31, 2002
          Shockwave ....
          http://images.lindows.com/MSLicense.swf

          --
          Don Passenger
          mailto:dpasseng@...
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 31, 2002
            Thanks Don!

            If you actually read the EULA underneath its pretty funny
            too.

            So presumably, if I fooled around with the code below
            long enough I could use the following to embed my own
            magnifying glass (and ants) in an HTML page that I write?

            Neat.
            -------
            <P align=center>
            <OBJECT

            codeBase=http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cab
            s/flash/swflash.cab#version=5,0,0,0
            height=300 width=400

            classid=clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000><PARAM
            NAME="movie"
            VALUE="http://images.lindows.com/MSLicense.swf"><PARAM
            NAME="quality" VALUE="high"><PARAM NAME="bgcolor"
            VALUE="#FFFFFF">
            <EMBED
            src="http://images.lindows.com/MSLicense.swf"
            quality=high bgcolor=#FFFFFF
            WIDTH=400 HEIGHT=300

            TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash"

            PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download
            /index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></EMBED>
            </OBJECT></P>
            -------
            Regards ... Alec
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 31, 2002
              If you steal the swf and put it on your server
              and then put this code in a web page, you would
              have ants.

              However, this would be stealing. In order to
              make your own ants, you would need Macromedia
              Flash or Director...

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 31, 2002
              • Adam Weston
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 1 2:56 PM
                  Considering where it comes from, I would guess one of the following to be
                  true:

                  1) The flash file is open source

                  or

                  2) They would grant permission to use it if you asked.

                  : Adam Weston :
                  : adam_weston@... :