[NH] Re: CSS, XHTML, XML, etc.

  • lmhamilton@juno.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 12, 2000
      Lloyd,

      On Sat, 12 Feb 2000 10:07:42 -0600 Lloyd <lloyd2@...> writes:
      > I am not (yet) into HTML so I don't know if my idea will work or
      > not. I have a clip for �. I just stuck it on my clipboard. I will send
      it
      > just in case you can use it. That way you treat the � as a character
      just
      > like any other letter. I get it from ALT+0169.
      >
      > H="�"
      > �
      >
      > I am sure you are way beyond where I am so you have probably all
      > ready ruled this out. But just in case............
      >
      > Lloyd

      Thanks, it was late when I wrote the post, after a long week. I got to
      thinking today that I might have to use the ALT code to find it. I just
      had not taken the time to look up the ALT code.

      Here is the result of my quick test on it: (I just unzipped NotePro 4.8
      Beta 31)

      I tried ^!Find � and ^!Find ALT+0169, I also tried the same, but with ""
      around the search string, both returned serach string not found in
      document, and I manually placed the cursor at 1:1. I also checked help
      and verified my recollection that there is no preset variable for the
      copyright symbol. Is there some trick to finding it that I am
      overlooking?

      I developed a clip to find the string(s) that precede it and to then move
      the selection over to include it, and then replace it by inserting the
      new text.

      Even though I have a way to accomplish my task, I still want to know why
      it will not work, and if there is another way to select just that
      character without a clip that moves the selection around.

      TIA,

      Larry Hamilton, Jr. lmhamilton@...
      http://www.HamiltonGenSociety.org/
      My Web Site: http://notlimaH.tripod.com

      Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
    • melchior prisi
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 12, 2000
        lmhamilton@... wrote:

        > I tried ^!Find © and ^!Find ALT+0169,
        > (...)both returned serach string not found

        this:

        ^!find © IST

        works.

        IST means:
        I: Ignores character case
        S: Silent search.
        T: Does not search for whole words only (search string can be found
        within longer words).

        greetings
        Melchior

        --
        http://www.alphazwirbel.net/orp/orp.htm
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 12, 2000
          Hi Larry,

          > I have the copyright symbol in most pages, and it is the c in a
          > circle, not "©". When I copied and pasted the copyright
          > symbol into a clip, it is not finding the symbol.

          Sorry for the late reply - we are pressing hard to get the 4.8
          version released. Here is a down and dirty, no mercy Clip that
          will replace all the characters for you. Be careful with it - it
          does *all* open documents in NoteTab and then saves them if you
          put in the ;^!Save All line. Just reverse the characters if you
          were meaning the other way around. I have a Clip called, Eric's
          Blah, Blah, Blah that removes all the HTML special code. Ask me
          if I care if some browsers can't read it? <vbg>

          H=Global © !!!
          ^!Replace "©" >> "©" TGWAS
          ;^!Save All

          http://www.sureword.com/notetab

          The NoteTab and Html List...
          mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 12, 2000
            Hi All,

            Would one of you HTMLperts be kind enough to give me a glossary
            type definition for the HTML file types that NoteTab supports? I
            realize that is very broad. What's worse, it needs to be written
            in a way that somebody new to computers can understand it. If
            you can start it off and keep it to the length below that would
            be great. If you feel that it is too brad to do it that way,
            then make a separate definition for each, maybe the HTML types in
            one, then ASP and anything else like that under their own
            headers, but do please, keep it basic, simple, and as short as
            possible. Also, please do it as soon as possible - like
            yesterday. <bg> I realize that is a tall order, but thought one
            of you could know it out in no time at all. Those are about all
            I lack now for a 125 word glossary that have been proofed a few
            times now - wouldn't hurt if anybody else wants to read it? :)
            Danke!

            HTML
            HTML is an acronym for...

            to about here.

            TIA

            http://www.sureword.com/notetab

            The NoteTab and Html List...
            mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
          • Lloyd
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 12, 2000
              Hi Larry,

              >I tried ^!Find © and ^!Find ALT+0169, I also tried the same, but with ""
              >around the search string, both returned serach string not found in
              >document, and I manually placed the cursor at 1:1. I also checked help
              >and verified my recollection that there is no preset variable for the
              >copyright symbol. Is there some trick to finding it that I am
              >overlooking?

              I don't remember what you are running but if it is a pc with windows,
              change your keyboard to United States - International in the Control Panel
              and when you hit the right ALT and c at the same time, you get ©. The ALT+C
              gives you ¢.

              Lloyd
            • lmhamilton@juno.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 12, 2000
                Melchior,

                On Sat, 12 Feb 2000 23:46:12 +0100 melchior prisi <mprisi@...>
                writes:
                > ^!find � IST
                >
                > works.
                >
                > IST means:
                > I: Ignores character case
                > S: Silent search.
                > T: Does not search for whole words only (search string can be found
                > within longer words).

                Thanks, I forgot about the 'T' tag, the 'I' had no effect in this case,
                (Are there upper and lowercase copyright symbols? <grin>).

                I used ^!Find "�" TS and it worked.

                Too many late nights.... Gee... you don't suppose that Eric and Jody know
                anything about late nights?

                THANKS!

                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 12, 2000
                  Jody,

                  On Sat, 12 Feb 2000 17:04:18 -0600 Jody <KJB1611@...> writes:
                  > H=Global � !!!
                  > ^!Replace "�" >> "©" TGWAS
                  > ;^!Save All

                  Thanks! As I mentioned to Melchior, I forgot about the 'T' in Find and
                  Replace clips.

                  The above clip will help in another clip I need to update. It is for a
                  text file that is updated several times a month and has lots of "&" in it
                  that need to be changed to "&" before it is converted to HTML, so
                  that any "&whatever;" are not changed to "&&whatever;"

                  Trying to write clips to update my HTML pages, taught me about YAVNF (Yet
                  Another Valuable NoteTab Feature) [maybe Eric can add that to the e-mail
                  acronym clip <grin>], that will come in handy in other areas as well.

                  THANKS!

                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 12, 2000
                    Hi Larry,

                    >> ^!Replace "©" >> "©" TGWAS

                    >The above clip will help in another clip I need to update. It is for a
                    >text file that is updated several times a month and has lots of "&" in it
                    >that need to be changed to "&" before it is converted to HTML, so
                    >that any "&whatever;" are not changed to "&&whatever;"

                    ^!Replace "&" "&" WAS

                    ;)

                    Thanks for the defs - I'll post them.:)

                    Bye for now,
                    Jody Adair
                    Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

                    http://www.sureword.com/sojourner
                    http://www.sureword.com/kjb1611
                    http://www.sureword.com/notetab
                  • Colby Glass
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 27, 2000
                      lmhamilto-@... wrote:
                      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html/?start=291
                      >I want an easy way to replace all the
                      > symbols in 100 plus documents (small by some standards, but still too
                      > much for manual editing). I can look for the other information around
                      it,
                      > and do a replace of the information around it, but that makes for more
                      > effort? Any one else have that problem?

                      Hi, Larry. I had the same problem. I am webmaster of a huge indexing
                      site--over 600 pages of html. I periodically need to change something.
                      I find that the best utility is "Search and Replace 98". It is freeware
                      and you can find it at Tucows. Good luck... colby
                    • lmhamilton@juno.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 27, 2000
                        Hi colby,

                        On Sun, 27 Feb 2000 08:09:09 -0800 "Colby Glass" <colby46@...>
                        writes:
                        > lmhamilto-@... wrote:
                        > original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html/?start=291
                        >> Any one else have that problem?
                        > Hi, Larry. I had the same problem. I am webmaster of a huge indexing
                        > site--over 600 pages of html. I periodically need to change
                        > something. I find that the best utility is "Search and Replace 98". It
                        is
                        > freeware and you can find it at Tucows. Good luck... colby

                        If I remember correctly, my problem was incorrect syntax with the search
                        & replace operation in my clip. I excluded the option for the item I was
                        searching for being within another string, and not separated by spaces.
                        It has been a long day, I am not sure that last sentence was clear.
                        Anyway, thanks for sharing about the freeware. I will keep that in the
                        back of my mind if it turns out that I need it.