[NH] Re: CSS, XHTML, XML, etc.

  • lmhamilton@juno.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 12, 2000
      On Sat, 12 Feb 2000 13:06:13 -0600 (CST) UserHtMlX@... (Eutopia Ali
      Manning) writes:
      > Is html and javascript, tha only thing, that can be used on WebTV.

      I do not know about WebTV, I have never seen one. I would guess that it
      should do whatever the version of IE it supports can do. I am sure
      Microsoft has information on it somewhere on their site. If any one finds
      it, let the group know.

      Larry Hamilton, Jr. lmhamilton@...
      http://www.HamiltonGenSociety.org/
      My Web Site: http://notlimaH.tripod.com

      Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
    • lmhamilton@juno.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 12, 2000
        Lloyd,

        On Sat, 12 Feb 2000 10:07:42 -0600 Lloyd <lloyd2@...> writes:
        > I am not (yet) into HTML so I don't know if my idea will work or
        > not. I have a clip for �. I just stuck it on my clipboard. I will send
        it
        > just in case you can use it. That way you treat the � as a character
        just
        > like any other letter. I get it from ALT+0169.
        >
        > H="�"
        > �
        >
        > I am sure you are way beyond where I am so you have probably all
        > ready ruled this out. But just in case............
        >
        > Lloyd

        Thanks, it was late when I wrote the post, after a long week. I got to
        thinking today that I might have to use the ALT code to find it. I just
        had not taken the time to look up the ALT code.

        Here is the result of my quick test on it: (I just unzipped NotePro 4.8
        Beta 31)

        I tried ^!Find � and ^!Find ALT+0169, I also tried the same, but with ""
        around the search string, both returned serach string not found in
        document, and I manually placed the cursor at 1:1. I also checked help
        and verified my recollection that there is no preset variable for the
        copyright symbol. Is there some trick to finding it that I am
        overlooking?

        I developed a clip to find the string(s) that precede it and to then move
        the selection over to include it, and then replace it by inserting the
        new text.

        Even though I have a way to accomplish my task, I still want to know why
        it will not work, and if there is another way to select just that
        character without a clip that moves the selection around.

        TIA,

        Larry Hamilton, Jr. lmhamilton@...
        http://www.HamiltonGenSociety.org/
        My Web Site: http://notlimaH.tripod.com

        Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
      • melchior prisi
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 12, 2000
          lmhamilton@... wrote:

          > I tried ^!Find © and ^!Find ALT+0169,
          > (...)both returned serach string not found

          this:

          ^!find © IST

          works.

          IST means:
          I: Ignores character case
          S: Silent search.
          T: Does not search for whole words only (search string can be found
          within longer words).

          greetings
          Melchior

          --
          http://www.alphazwirbel.net/orp/orp.htm
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 12, 2000
            Hi Larry,

            > I have the copyright symbol in most pages, and it is the c in a
            > circle, not "©". When I copied and pasted the copyright
            > symbol into a clip, it is not finding the symbol.

            Sorry for the late reply - we are pressing hard to get the 4.8
            version released. Here is a down and dirty, no mercy Clip that
            will replace all the characters for you. Be careful with it - it
            does *all* open documents in NoteTab and then saves them if you
            put in the ;^!Save All line. Just reverse the characters if you
            were meaning the other way around. I have a Clip called, Eric's
            Blah, Blah, Blah that removes all the HTML special code. Ask me
            if I care if some browsers can't read it? <vbg>

            H=Global © !!!
            ^!Replace "©" >> "©" TGWAS
            ;^!Save All

            http://www.sureword.com/notetab

            The NoteTab and Html List...
            mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 12, 2000
              Hi All,

              Would one of you HTMLperts be kind enough to give me a glossary
              type definition for the HTML file types that NoteTab supports? I
              realize that is very broad. What's worse, it needs to be written
              in a way that somebody new to computers can understand it. If
              you can start it off and keep it to the length below that would
              be great. If you feel that it is too brad to do it that way,
              then make a separate definition for each, maybe the HTML types in
              one, then ASP and anything else like that under their own
              headers, but do please, keep it basic, simple, and as short as
              possible. Also, please do it as soon as possible - like
              yesterday. <bg> I realize that is a tall order, but thought one
              of you could know it out in no time at all. Those are about all
              I lack now for a 125 word glossary that have been proofed a few
              times now - wouldn't hurt if anybody else wants to read it? :)
              Danke!

              HTML
              HTML is an acronym for...

              to about here.

              TIA

              http://www.sureword.com/notetab

              The NoteTab and Html List...
              mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
            • Lloyd
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 12, 2000
                Hi Larry,

                >I tried ^!Find © and ^!Find ALT+0169, I also tried the same, but with ""
                >around the search string, both returned serach string not found in
                >document, and I manually placed the cursor at 1:1. I also checked help
                >and verified my recollection that there is no preset variable for the
                >copyright symbol. Is there some trick to finding it that I am
                >overlooking?

                I don't remember what you are running but if it is a pc with windows,
                change your keyboard to United States - International in the Control Panel
                and when you hit the right ALT and c at the same time, you get ©. The ALT+C
                gives you ¢.

                Lloyd
              • lmhamilton@juno.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 12, 2000
                  Melchior,

                  On Sat, 12 Feb 2000 23:46:12 +0100 melchior prisi <mprisi@...>
                  writes:
                  > ^!find � IST
                  >
                  > works.
                  >
                  > IST means:
                  > I: Ignores character case
                  > S: Silent search.
                  > T: Does not search for whole words only (search string can be found
                  > within longer words).

                  Thanks, I forgot about the 'T' tag, the 'I' had no effect in this case,
                  (Are there upper and lowercase copyright symbols? <grin>).

                  I used ^!Find "�" TS and it worked.

                  Too many late nights.... Gee... you don't suppose that Eric and Jody know
                  anything about late nights?

                  THANKS!

                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 12, 2000
                    Jody,

                    On Sat, 12 Feb 2000 17:04:18 -0600 Jody <KJB1611@...> writes:
                    > H=Global � !!!
                    > ^!Replace "�" >> "©" TGWAS
                    > ;^!Save All

                    Thanks! As I mentioned to Melchior, I forgot about the 'T' in Find and
                    Replace clips.

                    The above clip will help in another clip I need to update. It is for a
                    text file that is updated several times a month and has lots of "&" in it
                    that need to be changed to "&" before it is converted to HTML, so
                    that any "&whatever;" are not changed to "&&whatever;"

                    Trying to write clips to update my HTML pages, taught me about YAVNF (Yet
                    Another Valuable NoteTab Feature) [maybe Eric can add that to the e-mail
                    acronym clip <grin>], that will come in handy in other areas as well.

                    THANKS!

                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 12, 2000
                      Hi Larry,

                      >> ^!Replace "©" >> "©" TGWAS

                      >The above clip will help in another clip I need to update. It is for a
                      >text file that is updated several times a month and has lots of "&" in it
                      >that need to be changed to "&" before it is converted to HTML, so
                      >that any "&whatever;" are not changed to "&&whatever;"

                      ^!Replace "&" "&" WAS

                      ;)

                      Thanks for the defs - I'll post them.:)

                      Bye for now,
                      Jody Adair
                      Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

                      http://www.sureword.com/sojourner
                      http://www.sureword.com/kjb1611
                      http://www.sureword.com/notetab
                    • Colby Glass
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 27, 2000
                        lmhamilto-@... wrote:
                        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html/?start=291
                        >I want an easy way to replace all the
                        > symbols in 100 plus documents (small by some standards, but still too
                        > much for manual editing). I can look for the other information around
                        it,
                        > and do a replace of the information around it, but that makes for more
                        > effort? Any one else have that problem?

                        Hi, Larry. I had the same problem. I am webmaster of a huge indexing
                        site--over 600 pages of html. I periodically need to change something.
                        I find that the best utility is "Search and Replace 98". It is freeware
                        and you can find it at Tucows. Good luck... colby
                      • lmhamilton@juno.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 27, 2000
                          Hi colby,

                          On Sun, 27 Feb 2000 08:09:09 -0800 "Colby Glass" <colby46@...>
                          writes:
                          > lmhamilto-@... wrote:
                          > original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html/?start=291
                          >> Any one else have that problem?
                          > Hi, Larry. I had the same problem. I am webmaster of a huge indexing
                          > site--over 600 pages of html. I periodically need to change
                          > something. I find that the best utility is "Search and Replace 98". It
                          is
                          > freeware and you can find it at Tucows. Good luck... colby

                          If I remember correctly, my problem was incorrect syntax with the search
                          & replace operation in my clip. I excluded the option for the item I was
                          searching for being within another string, and not separated by spaces.
                          It has been a long day, I am not sure that last sentence was clear.
                          Anyway, thanks for sharing about the freeware. I will keep that in the
                          back of my mind if it turns out that I need it.