Re: [NH] Search Engine Criteria

  • jaydrake@inthecastle.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 29, 2002
      Hmm... It can also be noted that some search engines (GOOGLE!) determine placing using popularity and relevance. For instance, if 10 generic sites link to you that are indexed with Google they count as a vote for your site. Any site linking to you which has similar keywords and content give you more than 1 vote. (truth be told, this could quite likely be somewhere in the area of a 100:1 ratio where you get 100 for a relevant site and only 1 for any old site out there.) Other than that, good ideas are to utilize your meta keywords throughout your site, but use them well. Don't just sprinkle them out there. Use them in well constructed sentences and such. The engines *are* smart enough to figure out when you're just spamming them with keywords.

      Jason

      well each search engine is different ... start with that
      second, your pages refer back to his anyway, so the better you get listed,
      the more traffic will find it's way back to him
      third, many will spider your pages, but the fact that he is notetab.com
      usually keeps him near the top if his page and domain name match topically
      the search term.

      --
      Don Passenger
      mailto:dpasseng@...
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 29, 2002
        Jody:

        > Do the search engines search all the web pages at a
        site to give
        > a rating if only the index page is listed on the search
        engines?

        There is a search engine called Kartoo
        http://www.kartoo.com/ which gives a graphical
        representation of how search terms are organized. It
        allows you to simultaneously search with a number of
        different engines and / or focus on specific ones.

        The "size" of the button gives (I think) a measure of how
        "important" a particular site is re a particular search
        term.

        I've uploaded a screenshot of the results of searching
        for
        just keyword "Notetab" to:

        th_Kartoo.jpg

        use Lotta's "UrlRun.exe" if the above link gets broken
        ;--)
        (you'll have to "join")

        It won't help you make the results come out the way you
        want - someone else will have to weigh in on that, but it
        seems to be a nice way to find out what other searchers
        are probably finding in their own searches.

        FWIW:
        Search "Notetab" top 3 are:

        www.notetab.com ( AllTheWeb Altavista Yahoo ToileQuebec )
        www.fookes.com ( AllTheWeb Altavista ToileQuebec )
        www.notetab.net ( AllTheWeb Altavista ToileQuebec )

        Search "Mailbag Assistant" top 3 are:
        www.fookes.com ( AllTheWeb Altavista ToileQuebec )
        www.quality-shareware.com ( Altavista ToileQuebec )
        www.sharewarejunkies.com ( AllTheWeb Altavista
        ToileQuebec )

        Search "Mailbag Assistant MBA" top 3 are:
        www.tr1be.com ( AllTheWeb Altavista ToileQuebec )
        www.fookes.com ( AllTheWeb Altavista ToileQuebec )
        www.washington.edu ( Altavista ToileQuebec )

        Regards ... Alec