[NH] CSS, XHTML, XML, etc.

  • lmhamilton@juno.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 11, 2000
      I really like all of the new functionality that Eric has put in version
      4.8, with the ability to change the case of HTML tags for upper, lower,
      and XHTML.

      I also appreciate the various freeware and shareware programs that he has
      given NoteTab a way to share information (CSE Validator, Tidy - Of
      course!, and TopStyle).

      I personally do not like the direction of the HTML 4 and XHTML specs for
      lowercase tags. I prefer upper case for easier readability when quickly
      scanning a document. I am adjusting, as I am sure most of us will (right
      Jody? <grin>).

      I do like that on some larger, more complicated HTML pages, that style
      sheets have reduced the size by about 1/3. That was enough to make some
      sites that no longer fit on a floppy (without zipping) fit again.

      I have not developed any major clips yet, just some short ones to work on
      one document at a time as I tweak my style sheet documents and a few
      pages for testing. I was surprised at how many pieces of code, templates,
      and data files I have put together that had to be changed so that
      generating a brand new page would not need to be edited for coding
      corrections. I am planning on developing some clips to speed that up, but
      have found a few problems.

      I have the copyright symbol in most pages, and it is the c in a circle,
      not "©". When I copied and pasted the copyright symbol into a clip,
      it is not finding the symbol. I want an easy way to replace all the
      symbols in 100 plus documents (small by some standards, but still too
      much for manual editing). I can look for the other information around it,
      and do a replace of the information around it, but that makes for more
      effort? Any one else have that problem?

      A related issue is using "&" as an "&", and the HTML 4 specs say it
      should be "&" . I have not felt ambitious enough to write a clip that
      will find "&" and make sure it is not already part of control code, it
      could be "©", etc. Any one else come up with such a clip?

      I also remember a post, maybe on the clips list, that someone mentioned
      they had a clip for the CSE Validator Lite. If so, would you care to
      share the clip?

      Well, that about wraps up my current NoteTabbing experiences/needs.

      TIA,

      Larry Hamilton, Jr. lmhamilton@...
      http://www.HamiltonGenSociety.org/
      My Web Site: http://notlimaH.tripod.com

      Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
    • Lloyd
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 12, 2000
        Hi Larry,

        >I have the copyright symbol in most pages, and it is the c in a circle,
        >not "©". When I copied and pasted the copyright symbol into a clip,
        >it is not finding the symbol. I want an easy way to replace all the
        >symbols in 100 plus documents (small by some standards, but still too
        >much for manual editing). I can look for the other information around it,
        >and do a replace of the information around it, but that makes for more
        >effort? Any one else have that problem?

        I am not (yet) into HTML so I don't know if my idea will work or not. I
        have a clip for ©. I just stuck it on my clipboard. I will send it just in
        case you can use it. That way you treat the © as a character just like any
        other letter. I get it from ALT+0169.

        H="©"
        ©

        I am sure you are way beyond where I am so you have probably all ready
        ruled this out. But just in case............

        Lloyd
      • Eutopia Ali Manning
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 12, 2000
          I Love HTML This my offline gram course for HTML.
        • lmhamilton@juno.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 12, 2000
            On Sat, 12 Feb 2000 13:06:13 -0600 (CST) UserHtMlX@... (Eutopia Ali
            Manning) writes:
            > Is html and javascript, tha only thing, that can be used on WebTV.

            I do not know about WebTV, I have never seen one. I would guess that it
            should do whatever the version of IE it supports can do. I am sure
            Microsoft has information on it somewhere on their site. If any one finds
            it, let the group know.

            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 12, 2000
              Lloyd,

              On Sat, 12 Feb 2000 10:07:42 -0600 Lloyd <lloyd2@...> writes:
              > I am not (yet) into HTML so I don't know if my idea will work or
              > not. I have a clip for �. I just stuck it on my clipboard. I will send
              it
              > just in case you can use it. That way you treat the � as a character
              just
              > like any other letter. I get it from ALT+0169.
              >
              > H="�"
              > �
              >
              > I am sure you are way beyond where I am so you have probably all
              > ready ruled this out. But just in case............
              >
              > Lloyd

              Thanks, it was late when I wrote the post, after a long week. I got to
              thinking today that I might have to use the ALT code to find it. I just
              had not taken the time to look up the ALT code.

              Here is the result of my quick test on it: (I just unzipped NotePro 4.8
              Beta 31)

              I tried ^!Find � and ^!Find ALT+0169, I also tried the same, but with ""
              around the search string, both returned serach string not found in
              document, and I manually placed the cursor at 1:1. I also checked help
              and verified my recollection that there is no preset variable for the
              copyright symbol. Is there some trick to finding it that I am
              overlooking?

              I developed a clip to find the string(s) that precede it and to then move
              the selection over to include it, and then replace it by inserting the
              new text.

              Even though I have a way to accomplish my task, I still want to know why
              it will not work, and if there is another way to select just that
              character without a clip that moves the selection around.

              TIA,

              Larry Hamilton, Jr. lmhamilton@...
              http://www.HamiltonGenSociety.org/
              My Web Site: http://notlimaH.tripod.com

              Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
              http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
            • melchior prisi
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 12, 2000
                lmhamilton@... wrote:

                > I tried ^!Find © and ^!Find ALT+0169,
                > (...)both returned serach string not found

                this:

                ^!find © IST

                works.

                IST means:
                I: Ignores character case
                S: Silent search.
                T: Does not search for whole words only (search string can be found
                within longer words).

                greetings
                Melchior

                --
                http://www.alphazwirbel.net/orp/orp.htm
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 12, 2000
                  Hi Larry,

                  > I have the copyright symbol in most pages, and it is the c in a
                  > circle, not "©". When I copied and pasted the copyright
                  > symbol into a clip, it is not finding the symbol.

                  Sorry for the late reply - we are pressing hard to get the 4.8
                  version released. Here is a down and dirty, no mercy Clip that
                  will replace all the characters for you. Be careful with it - it
                  does *all* open documents in NoteTab and then saves them if you
                  put in the ;^!Save All line. Just reverse the characters if you
                  were meaning the other way around. I have a Clip called, Eric's
                  Blah, Blah, Blah that removes all the HTML special code. Ask me
                  if I care if some browsers can't read it? <vbg>

                  H=Global © !!!
                  ^!Replace "©" >> "©" TGWAS
                  ;^!Save All

                  http://www.sureword.com/notetab

                  The NoteTab and Html List...
                  mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 12, 2000
                    Hi All,

                    Would one of you HTMLperts be kind enough to give me a glossary
                    type definition for the HTML file types that NoteTab supports? I
                    realize that is very broad. What's worse, it needs to be written
                    in a way that somebody new to computers can understand it. If
                    you can start it off and keep it to the length below that would
                    be great. If you feel that it is too brad to do it that way,
                    then make a separate definition for each, maybe the HTML types in
                    one, then ASP and anything else like that under their own
                    headers, but do please, keep it basic, simple, and as short as
                    possible. Also, please do it as soon as possible - like
                    yesterday. <bg> I realize that is a tall order, but thought one
                    of you could know it out in no time at all. Those are about all
                    I lack now for a 125 word glossary that have been proofed a few
                    times now - wouldn't hurt if anybody else wants to read it? :)
                    Danke!

                    HTML
                    HTML is an acronym for...

                    to about here.

                    TIA

                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 12, 2000
                      Hi Larry,

                      >I tried ^!Find © and ^!Find ALT+0169, I also tried the same, but with ""
                      >around the search string, both returned serach string not found in
                      >document, and I manually placed the cursor at 1:1. I also checked help
                      >and verified my recollection that there is no preset variable for the
                      >copyright symbol. Is there some trick to finding it that I am
                      >overlooking?

                      I don't remember what you are running but if it is a pc with windows,
                      change your keyboard to United States - International in the Control Panel
                      and when you hit the right ALT and c at the same time, you get ©. The ALT+C
                      gives you ¢.

                      Lloyd
                    • lmhamilton@juno.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 12, 2000
                        Melchior,

                        On Sat, 12 Feb 2000 23:46:12 +0100 melchior prisi <mprisi@...>
                        writes:
                        > ^!find � IST
                        >
                        > works.
                        >
                        > IST means:
                        > I: Ignores character case
                        > S: Silent search.
                        > T: Does not search for whole words only (search string can be found
                        > within longer words).

                        Thanks, I forgot about the 'T' tag, the 'I' had no effect in this case,
                        (Are there upper and lowercase copyright symbols? <grin>).

                        I used ^!Find "�" TS and it worked.

                        Too many late nights.... Gee... you don't suppose that Eric and Jody know
                        anything about late nights?

                        THANKS!

                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 12, 2000
                          Jody,

                          On Sat, 12 Feb 2000 17:04:18 -0600 Jody <KJB1611@...> writes:
                          > H=Global � !!!
                          > ^!Replace "�" >> "©" TGWAS
                          > ;^!Save All

                          Thanks! As I mentioned to Melchior, I forgot about the 'T' in Find and
                          Replace clips.

                          The above clip will help in another clip I need to update. It is for a
                          text file that is updated several times a month and has lots of "&" in it
                          that need to be changed to "&" before it is converted to HTML, so
                          that any "&whatever;" are not changed to "&&whatever;"

                          Trying to write clips to update my HTML pages, taught me about YAVNF (Yet
                          Another Valuable NoteTab Feature) [maybe Eric can add that to the e-mail
                          acronym clip <grin>], that will come in handy in other areas as well.

                          THANKS!

                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 12, 2000
                            Hi Larry,

                            >> ^!Replace "©" >> "©" TGWAS

                            >The above clip will help in another clip I need to update. It is for a
                            >text file that is updated several times a month and has lots of "&" in it
                            >that need to be changed to "&" before it is converted to HTML, so
                            >that any "&whatever;" are not changed to "&&whatever;"

                            ^!Replace "&" "&" WAS

                            ;)

                            Thanks for the defs - I'll post them.:)

                            Bye for now,
                            Jody Adair
                            Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

                            http://www.sureword.com/sojourner
                            http://www.sureword.com/kjb1611
                            http://www.sureword.com/notetab
                          • Colby Glass
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 27, 2000
                              lmhamilto-@... wrote:
                              original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html/?start=291
                              >I want an easy way to replace all the
                              > symbols in 100 plus documents (small by some standards, but still too
                              > much for manual editing). I can look for the other information around
                              it,
                              > and do a replace of the information around it, but that makes for more
                              > effort? Any one else have that problem?

                              Hi, Larry. I had the same problem. I am webmaster of a huge indexing
                              site--over 600 pages of html. I periodically need to change something.
                              I find that the best utility is "Search and Replace 98". It is freeware
                              and you can find it at Tucows. Good luck... colby
                            • lmhamilton@juno.com
                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 27, 2000
                                Hi colby,

                                On Sun, 27 Feb 2000 08:09:09 -0800 "Colby Glass" <colby46@...>
                                writes:
                                > lmhamilto-@... wrote:
                                > original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html/?start=291
                                >> Any one else have that problem?
                                > Hi, Larry. I had the same problem. I am webmaster of a huge indexing
                                > site--over 600 pages of html. I periodically need to change
                                > something. I find that the best utility is "Search and Replace 98". It
                                is
                                > freeware and you can find it at Tucows. Good luck... colby

                                If I remember correctly, my problem was incorrect syntax with the search
                                & replace operation in my clip. I excluded the option for the item I was
                                searching for being within another string, and not separated by spaces.
                                It has been a long day, I am not sure that last sentence was clear.
                                Anyway, thanks for sharing about the freeware. I will keep that in the
                                back of my mind if it turns out that I need it.