Re: [NH] Re: web pages and Netscape

  • Lloyd
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 20, 2002
      Hi Ian,

      You keep talking about Georgia font. As I have never seen it, where can I
      find a copy?

      Lloyd
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      >What I don't want is to go from Georgia to Arial, because Arial is a
      >very modern-looking font, and I don't want a modern look. That's what
      >I mean. If you're designing the site to look good with serif fonts,
      >you'll want nothing but serif fonts in there. There's other pages
      >where I use Arial (my other favorite), and allow it to degrade to
      >Helvetica or sans-serif, if necessary, because those two fonts fit the
      >look of the site.
    • thefrankwmx
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 20, 2002
        one of the challenges with using CSS is not only the cross-browser
        issue but also the variety of platforms ( OS ) the same version of a
        particular browser may be loaded on.

        some browsers behave differently on a Mac than Windows even though it
        is the same version number.

        a good (IMHO) discussion of CSS:

        -----

        http://two.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/css-discuss
        css-discuss-request@...

        css-discuss-admin@...

        -----

        regards,

        tf

        http://thefrank.com
      • Ian Rastall
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 21, 2002
          On Sat, 20 Jul 2002 14:46:12 -0400, "Alec Burgess" <burale@...>
          wrote:

          >As a novice HTML user, I'm finding this thread
          >fascinating but wonder if you could leave the name of the
          >person you are primarily responding to in the header.

          You're asking me to change my settings? There is nothing more sacred
          to a computer geek. But, uh, no problem. Hope this looks better.

          Ian
          --
          That oughta be like hittin' fungoes
          with a corked bat. (Nathaniel Ward)

          http://www.aspipes.org/
        • Ian Rastall
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 21, 2002
            On Sat, 20 Jul 2002 17:00:32 -0500, Lloyd <lloyd2@...>
            wrote:

            >You keep talking about Georgia font. As I have never seen it, where can I
            >find a copy?

            It's a True Type font. It comes with things like Microsoft Word. I
            suppose you could find it on the web if you Googled for "true type
            font georgia". You'd be able to download it. But chances are, if you
            use Windows, or at least a Microsoft product, you already have it.

            Georgia is a very classical font. If you've ever seen Microsoft
            Reader, it uses something similar, but even more classical, called
            Berling Antigua. Very rounded and traditional.

            Ian

            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 21, 2002
              At 16:13 2002.07.21, Ian Rastall wrote:
              >On Sat, 20 Jul 2002 17:00:32 -0500, Lloyd <lloyd2@...>
              >wrote:
              >
              > >You keep talking about Georgia font. As I have never seen it, where can I
              > >find a copy?
              >
              > You'd be able to download it. But chances are, if you
              >use Windows, or at least a Microsoft product, you already have it.

              If you really don't have it it's here:
              http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fontpack/default.htm

              Fungoes, huh? <G>

              Lotta
            • Lloyd
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 22, 2002
                Hi Ian,

                Thank you. I do have Word but I guess Office 97 is just too old for it. I
                downloaded it and it is very clean looking.

                Thank you again.

                Lloyd
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                >On Sat, 20 Jul 2002 17:00:32 -0500, Lloyd <lloyd2@...>
                >wrote:
                >
                > >You keep talking about Georgia font. As I have never seen it, where can I
                > >find a copy?
                >
                >It's a True Type font. It comes with things like Microsoft Word. I
                >suppose you could find it on the web if you Googled for "true type
                >font georgia". You'd be able to download it. But chances are, if you
                >use Windows, or at least a Microsoft product, you already have it.
              • Alec Burgess
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 22, 2002
                  > Thank you. I do have Word but I guess Office 97 is just
                  too old for it. I
                  > downloaded it and it is very clean looking.

                  I've got Word97 (it shows Georgina TT) and as far as I
                  know I never specifically downloaded ANY fonts. I got an
                  SP1 update to MS-Office 97 sometime ago. Maybe it came
                  with that?

                  Regards ... Alec