Re: [NH] Re: web pages and Netscape

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 19, 2002
      > john041650 wrote:
      >
      > --- In ntb-html@y..., "Fay" <feigh@i...> wrote:
      >
      > hrs has said I could send a style sheet and find out why it looks
      >

      > Hello Fay,
      >
      > I hope I am not stealing Harvey's thunder here, but I have a few
      > extra minutes today and thought I'd quickly analyze your stylesheet.
      > Below is the final result.
      > Regards,
      >
      > John

      Hey John,

      Don't worry, the reason I joined all these lists is, I was pretty sure I
      would learn something. With your version of the stylesheet I have yet
      another resource to draw from.

      hrs
    • Fay
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 19, 2002
        Thanks, John. The corrected style sheet should be up by tomorrow night.
        I have to change bits on each page first; takes a while.
        Every bit of help is appreciated.
        Fay
      • Fay
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 19, 2002
          Being relatively dumb, didn't see the corrected sheet at the bottom of the
          letter.
          Thanks v much indeed. I'll look through and c/f what I've done.
          Thank you.
        • Fay
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 19, 2002
            John,
            Please, why the alternative font-family?
            Is it that some browser would have access only to one font family?
            I know you must be right, but I need to understand the why of it.
            Thanks,
            Fay.
          • Larry Hamilton
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 19, 2002
              Fay,

              The fonts are controlled by what font is on the computer viewing the web
              page.

              If a user does not have the comic font, which you want them to use, sinc
              eyou designed it that way, you can specify a fallback choice to try and keep
              the look of the page like you intend it to be.

              Larry Hamilton
              lmh@...
              http://notlimah.tripod.com/
              http://jillhamilton-momteam.shorturl.com/
              > Please, why the alternative font-family?
              > Is it that some browser would have access only to one font family?
              > I know you must be right, but I need to understand the why of it.
              > Thanks,
              > Fay.
            • Fay
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 19, 2002
                But as the last bit of font-family it went "sans-serif, serif;" (or the
                other way around if the first choice was a serif font) . I'm still puzzled.
                The validator that Lotta sent me too liked it, but it seems strange to me.
                Fay.
              • Ian Rastall
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 19, 2002
                  On Sat, 20 Jul 2002 10:27:36 +1000, you wrote:

                  >But as the last bit of font-family it went "sans-serif, serif;" (or the
                  >other way around if the first choice was a serif font) . I'm still puzzled.
                  >The validator that Lotta sent me too liked it, but it seems strange to me.

                  I would never write it that way. Arial is a type of sans-serif font, I
                  believe. So you would offer alternatives in sans-serif. A typical one
                  would be:

                  p {font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif;}

                  The one I normally do is:

                  p {font-family: georgia, "times new roman", serif;}

                  I guess the point of going from sans-serif to serif, is in case
                  someone's computer doesn't have sans-serif. But that's pretty
                  unlikely. These days if you specify a Georgia font, chances are very
                  good the browser will have it. The only real problem, is that people
                  on Linux won't have access to the MS-specific fonts. But, of course,
                  they'll have serif and sans-serif, and I believe they all have Arial.
                  In the end, three choices is more than enough.

                  Ian
                  --
                  That oughta be like hittin' fungoes
                  with a corked bat. (Nathaniel Ward)

                  http://www.aspipes.org/
                • john041650
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 20, 2002
                    --- In ntb-html@y..., "Fay" <feigh@i...> wrote:
                    > John,
                    > Please, why the alternative font-family?
                    > Is it that some browser would have access only to one font family?
                    > I know you must be right, but I need to understand the why of it.
                    > Thanks,
                    > Fay.

                    Hello Fay,

                    As Larry said, it doesn't matter what font you design a web page in, the page will be displayed in a font that is in the computer of whoever is looking at your web page. This is why generic fonts are recommended for html pages.

                    The idea of a font-family "list" is to make sure a decent font is used to display the web page no matter who is looking at it.. Below is font-family I normally use.

                    Font-family: Verdana, Arial, Georgia, Helvetica, Times, "Times New Roman", sans-serif, serif;

                    The way it works is like this.. The computer of whoever is looking at my web page, first tries to display the page in the Verdana font.. If their computer does not have the Verdana font, then it goes to the next one in the font-family list, which in the above list is Arial. If Arial is not in their machine it goes to the next font in the list.. And so it goes.. The very last fonts in a font-family list should be generic serif fonts, fonts that are in almost every machine.

                    By the way, font names that have spaces in them should be enclosed in double quotes (" ") that was one of the problems in your original stylesheet..

                    Have a nice day,

                    John :)
                  • Ian Rastall
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 20, 2002
                      On Sat, 20 Jul 2002 14:03:27 -0000, you wrote:

                      >As Larry said, it doesn't matter what font you design a web page in, the page will be displayed in a font that is in the computer of whoever is looking at your web page. This is why generic fonts are recommended for html pages.
                      >
                      >The idea of a font-family "list" is to make sure a decent font is used to display the web page no matter who is looking at it.

                      Do you mean: "Start with the best font, and offer the next best, and
                      so on"? I've never tried that, because I'm thinking, "Start with the
                      font you want, then offer the next closest, and so on". It always made
                      sense to start off in, say, Georgia (which is my favorite font, if you
                      can't tell), and then move to something more generic (Times New
                      Roman), and then move to the most generic of that type (serif).

                      The way I understand it, if nothing in your list works, the font just
                      goes to default. So it'll always display, no matter what. But you can
                      control how the page looks, and allow it to degrade gracefully if your
                      intended font isn't available.

                      Ian

                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 20, 2002
                        I am not sure I am following you Ian but it appears you and I are saying the same thing.. The bottom line is we want to put forth our best efforts to find a font to display our web pages in before the default font is used. A common pitfall for inexperienced webmasters is to design a page using an exotic font of some kind.. The page looks great on their machine, but to most of the rest of the world the text is displayed in a default font and loses the impact the designer was hoping to have.

                        John :)

                        --- In ntb-html@y..., Ian Rastall <idrastall@e...> wrote:
                        > On Sat, 20 Jul 2002 14:03:27 -0000, you wrote:
                        >
                        > >As Larry said, it doesn't matter what font you design a web page in, the page will be displayed in a font that is in the computer of whoever is looking at your web page. This is why generic fonts are recommended for html pages.
                        > >
                        > >The idea of a font-family "list" is to make sure a decent font is used to display the web page no matter who is looking at it.
                        >
                        > Do you mean: "Start with the best font, and offer the next best, and
                        > so on"? I've never tried that, because I'm thinking, "Start with the
                        > font you want, then offer the next closest, and so on". It always made
                        > sense to start off in, say, Georgia (which is my favorite font, if you
                        > can't tell), and then move to something more generic (Times New
                        > Roman), and then move to the most generic of that type (serif).
                        >
                        > The way I understand it, if nothing in your list works, the font just
                        > goes to default. So it'll always display, no matter what. But you can
                        > control how the page looks, and allow it to degrade gracefully if your
                        > intended font isn't available.
                        >
                        > Ian
                        > --
                        > That oughta be like hittin' fungoes
                        > with a corked bat. (Nathaniel Ward)
                        >
                        > http://www.aspipes.org/
                      • Ian Rastall
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 20, 2002
                          On Sat, 20 Jul 2002 15:04:02 -0000, you wrote:

                          >I am not sure I am following you Ian but it appears you and I are saying the same thing.. The bottom line is we want to put forth our best efforts to find a font to display our web pages in before the default font is used. A common pitfall for inexperienced webmasters is to design a page using an exotic font of some kind.. The page looks great on their machine, but to most of the rest of the world the text is displayed in a default font and loses the impact the designer was hoping to have.

                          We are saying almost exactly the same thing.

                          I'm coming from the perspective of loving certain fonts. And I design
                          the page to have a certain look, which the fonts enhance. On the web
                          page in my sig, I use Georgia for everything, and allow for it to
                          degrade into TNR, which still fits the "look", but not as nicely.

                          What I don't want is to go from Georgia to Arial, because Arial is a
                          very modern-looking font, and I don't want a modern look. That's what
                          I mean. If you're designing the site to look good with serif fonts,
                          you'll want nothing but serif fonts in there. There's other pages
                          where I use Arial (my other favorite), and allow it to degrade to
                          Helvetica or sans-serif, if necessary, because those two fonts fit the
                          look of the site.

                          There's nothing wrong with not specifying anything. I was always under
                          the impression that the default for IE and NS was Times, and the
                          default for Konqueror was Arial, so you'll still have something nice,
                          but it may not look good with the rest of your site.

                          Ian
                          --
                          That oughta be like hittin' fungoes
                          with a corked bat. (Nathaniel Ward)

                          http://www.aspipes.org/
                        • Alec Burgess
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 20, 2002
                            Ian

                            > On Sat, 20 Jul 2002 15:04:02 -0000, you wrote: ....

                            As a novice HTML user, I'm finding this thread
                            fascinating but wonder if you could leave the name of the
                            person you are primarily responding to in the header.
                            When we've got a bunch of contributers to the thread it
                            gets a little confusing.

                            Regards ... Alec

                              You keep talking about Georgia font. As I have never seen it, where can I
                              find a copy?

                              Lloyd
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              >What I don't want is to go from Georgia to Arial, because Arial is a
                              >very modern-looking font, and I don't want a modern look. That's what
                              >I mean. If you're designing the site to look good with serif fonts,
                              >you'll want nothing but serif fonts in there. There's other pages
                              >where I use Arial (my other favorite), and allow it to degrade to
                              >Helvetica or sans-serif, if necessary, because those two fonts fit the
                              >look of the site.
                            • thefrankwmx
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jul 20, 2002
                                one of the challenges with using CSS is not only the cross-browser
                                issue but also the variety of platforms ( OS ) the same version of a
                                particular browser may be loaded on.

                                some browsers behave differently on a Mac than Windows even though it
                                is the same version number.

                                a good (IMHO) discussion of CSS:

                                -----

                                http://two.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/css-discuss
                                css-discuss-request@...

                                css-discuss-admin@...

                                -----

                                regards,

                                tf

                                http://thefrank.com
                              • Ian Rastall
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jul 21, 2002
                                  On Sat, 20 Jul 2002 14:46:12 -0400, "Alec Burgess" <burale@...>
                                  wrote:

                                  >As a novice HTML user, I'm finding this thread
                                  >fascinating but wonder if you could leave the name of the
                                  >person you are primarily responding to in the header.

                                  You're asking me to change my settings? There is nothing more sacred
                                  to a computer geek. But, uh, no problem. Hope this looks better.

                                  Ian

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jul 21, 2002
                                    On Sat, 20 Jul 2002 17:00:32 -0500, Lloyd <lloyd2@...>
                                    wrote:

                                    >You keep talking about Georgia font. As I have never seen it, where can I
                                    >find a copy?

                                    It's a True Type font. It comes with things like Microsoft Word. I
                                    suppose you could find it on the web if you Googled for "true type
                                    font georgia". You'd be able to download it. But chances are, if you
                                    use Windows, or at least a Microsoft product, you already have it.

                                    Georgia is a very classical font. If you've ever seen Microsoft
                                    Reader, it uses something similar, but even more classical, called
                                    Berling Antigua. Very rounded and traditional.

                                    Ian

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jul 21, 2002
                                      At 16:13 2002.07.21, Ian Rastall wrote:
                                      >On Sat, 20 Jul 2002 17:00:32 -0500, Lloyd <lloyd2@...>
                                      >wrote:
                                      >
                                      > >You keep talking about Georgia font. As I have never seen it, where can I
                                      > >find a copy?
                                      >
                                      > You'd be able to download it. But chances are, if you
                                      >use Windows, or at least a Microsoft product, you already have it.

                                      If you really don't have it it's here:
                                      http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fontpack/default.htm

                                      Fungoes, huh? <G>

                                      Lotta
                                    • Lloyd
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jul 22, 2002
                                        Hi Ian,

                                        Thank you. I do have Word but I guess Office 97 is just too old for it. I
                                        downloaded it and it is very clean looking.

                                        Thank you again.

                                        Lloyd

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jul 22, 2002
                                          > Thank you. I do have Word but I guess Office 97 is just
                                          too old for it. I
                                          > downloaded it and it is very clean looking.

                                          I've got Word97 (it shows Georgina TT) and as far as I
                                          know I never specifically downloaded ANY fonts. I got an
                                          SP1 update to MS-Office 97 sometime ago. Maybe it came
                                          with that?

                                          Regards ... Alec