web pages and Netscape

  • Fay
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 16, 2002
      hrs has said I could send a style sheet and find out why it looks bad in
      Netscape.
      Thank you, hrs.
      The version of Netscape is 4.5
      I'm working in IE 5.5
      Here's a bad page.
      http://www.netspace.net.au/~feigh/alex.html

      This is the style sheet. Sorry that it's so long, but I think you meant me
      to send it.
      a:link
      { text-decoration:underline; color:green; font-family:arial,
      helvetica,sans;font-size:normal; font-weight:normal;}
      a:visited
      { text-decoration:underline; color:green; font-family:arial,
      helvetica,sans;font-size:normal;font-weight:normal;}
      a:active
      { text-decoration:underline; color:maroon; font-family:arial,
      helvetica,sans;font-size:normal;font-weight:normal;}
      a:hover
      { text-decoration:underline; color:red;font-family:arial,
      helvetica,sans;font-size:normal;font-weight:normal;}
      .small{text-decoration:none; font-size:small; font-wieght:bold;}

      body
      {
      color:maroon; background-color:#ffffcc;font-family:Times Roman, serif;
      font-weight:normal;
      font-size:normal; margin-left:50; margin-right:50;
      }
      p { font-family:times roman, serif; font-size: normal; font-
      weight:normal; text-align:justify; color: maroon; }

      h1 { font-family:arial, helvetica,sans; font-size: x-large; color:
      maroon; text-align:left;}
      h2 { font-size: large; color: maroon; }
      h3 { font-family:arial, helvetica,sans; font-size: medium; color:
      maroon; margin-bottom:0 em; font-weight:bold}
      h4 { font-family:arial, helvetica,sans; color: maroon; margin-
      bottom:0 em; font-weight:bold}
      .closeup{margin-bottom:0 em;}
      .moveup {margin-top:.5 em;}

      hr{color:maroon;}
      table{margin-left:"10";}

      td{font-size: medium;font-weight:normal; vertical-align:middle;
      text-align:justify;color:maroon;}
      dt{margin-bottom:1em;}
      .up{vertical-align:top;}
      .right{text-align:right;}
      .upleft{vertical-align:top; text-align:left}
      .upright{vertical-align:top; text-align:right;}
      th{font-size: larger;font-weight:bold; text-align:center; }

      Another very bad page is
      http://www.netspace.net.au/~feigh/colour-guide.html
      The styles are on the page, because it's unique.
      It's supposed to be black with light blue text.

      I can make things work by putting the fonts etc around the text.
      With links I'm stuck. I can make them green and sans-serif, but then I can't
      have the "hover" change, so the links look dead.
      I know that all of those links at the top look bad. I now have a menu, but
      there's no point in updating the site while it's so messy.
      If you can help, thank you very much,
      Fay
    • john041650
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 19, 2002
        --- In ntb-html@y..., "Fay" <feigh@i...> wrote:
        > hrs has said I could send a style sheet and find out why it looks
        bad in
        > Netscape.
        > Thank you, hrs.
        > The version of Netscape is 4.5
        > I'm working in IE 5.5
        > Here's a bad page.
        > http://www.netspace.net.au/~feigh/alex.html

        Hello Fay,

        I hope I am not stealing Harvey's thunder here, but I have a few
        extra minutes today and thought I'd quickly analyze your stylesheet.
        Below is the final result. Using Netscape 4.0 it displays much
        better than it did before however as Adam and Stephen have mentioned,
        the hover will not work in versions of Netscape before 6.0..

        This was only a quick analysis, there are other changes that probably
        should made as well, but hopefully this will put you on the right
        track.

        Regards,

        John

        /* ======================================== */

        a:link{
        background:transparent;
        color:#008000;
        font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif,serif;
        font-size:medium;
        font-weight:normal;
        text-decoration:underline
        }
        a:visited{
        background:transparent;
        color:#008000;
        font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif,serif;
        font-size:medium;
        font-weight:normal;
        text-decoration:underline
        }
        a:hover{
        background:transparent;
        color:#ff0000;
        font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif,serif;
        font-size:medium;
        font-weight:normal;
        text-decoration:underline
        }
        a:active{
        background:transparent;
        color:#800000;
        font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif,serif;
        font-size:medium;
        font-weight:normal;
        text-decoration:underline
        }
        body{
        background:#ffffcc;
        color:#800000;
        font-family:"Times Roman",sans-serif,serif;
        font-size:medium;
        font-weight:normal;
        margin-left:50px;
        margin-right:50px
        }
        dt{
        margin-bottom:1em
        }
        h1{
        background:transparent;
        color:#800000;
        font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif,serif;
        font-size:x-large;
        text-align:left
        }
        h2{
        background:transparent;
        color:#800000;
        font-size:large
        }
        h3{
        background:transparent;
        color:#800000;
        font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif,serif;
        font-size:medium;
        font-weight:bold;
        margin-bottom:0em
        }
        h4{
        background:transparent;
        color:#800000;
        font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif,serif;
        font-weight:bold;
        margin-bottom:0em
        }
        hr{
        background:transparent;
        color:#800000
        }
        p{
        background:transparent;
        color:#800000;
        font-family:"times roman",sans-serif,serif;
        font-size:medium;
        font-weight:normal;
        text-align:justify
        }