[NH] Re: [Clip] What else? Regular Expressions

  • Dennis Partridge
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 3, 2000
      Hi Charles,

      Thanks for the idea. Unfortunately it did not work. You are right in
      analyzing the fact that It must search across multiple lines. This does
      appear to be the problem... anyone have any solutions? I'm talking about
      searching across 60,000 files, so I was hoping to use Disk Replace for it.

      Dennis

      At 10:56 AM 2/3/00 -0800, you wrote:
      >Reply-to:ntb-html@egroups.com
      >
      >--- Dennis Partridge <partridge@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> I've had thought that the proper way would be to use:

      >> --><!--banner-->\*<!--banner-->
      >> <!--webbot
      >> bot="HTMLMarkup" endspan --></p>
      >>
      >> But this fails to provide any matches.
      >
      >It seems to me that the expression you want for the variable text is /.*/
      which
      >means any character and number of times, and not /\*/, which means precisely
      >one occurrence of an asterisk. The resulting search string would then be the
      >following:

      >--><!--banner-->.*<!--banner--><!--webbot bot="HTMLMarkup" endspan --></p>
      >
      >I have had problems with matching variably-placed imbedded line feeds in
      >NoteTab. This may be part of the problem, too. Tell me if this doesn't work.
      >
      >Reply-to:ntb-html@egroups.com
      >http://im.yahoo.com

      >GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds! Get rates as low as 0.0%
      >Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR and no hidden fees. Apply NOW!

      >-- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=ntb-html&m=1

      partridge@...

      Dennis N. Partridge
      partridge@...

      The SurnameWeb
      http://www.surnameweb.org/
      Co-Founder and Team Leader

      AccessGenealogy
      http://www.accessgenealogy.com/
      Webmaster

      The Partridge Nest (note new address!!!)
      http://www.partridgenest.com/
      Webmaster