[NH] Re: To capitalise or not to...

  • Glenn Dixon
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 21, 1999
      <snip>

      >I believe you can even edit tags in your favorite library if you want to
      >change case!
      >
      >Hey! just try shouting at FrontPage over how it chooses to enter tags!!!
      >
      >Cat

      FrontPage???.......uh-oh, don't get me started!! *LOL*

      Just for kicks, I'll give an example of how I want HTML tags to pop up in
      NoteTab clips. For instance, if I want to insert an image into an HTML page
      I want the clip to prompt me for file name, Height and/or Width, Alt=,
      border, etc. Of course, we each have our own preferences so I doubt there
      could ever be a 'standard' NoteTab clip structure or syntax.....

      Glenn Dixon
      glenn@...
      http://thedixons.net

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
    • Raymond Fitzgerald
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 21, 1999
        Hi Glenn,

        >one question.....if I am typing in a document window, what's the fastest
        way
        >to shift the focus back to the clip window so I can type 'b' and move right
        >to Bold? Is there a keystroke combination for this?

        Try Shift+F4 to switch to the clipbook window (and Ctrl+G to switch back to
        the document). But it may be easier and faster to use the in-context
        clipbook (ESC). That way you never leave your document. But autoscroll works
        a little differently. The clipbook window understands just the first letter
        you key, so, for example, typing "bb" would jump you from "bold" to "break"
        and then typing "a" will take you to "anchor." The in-context clipbook
        reads every letter you type to find just one clip. So "b" for "bold, "br"
        will take you to "break," and "bb" won't do anything.

        Cheers,
        Ray

        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 21, 1999
          Hi all,

          Chris wrote:
          >Does it really matter if we capitalise or leave out the quote marks (") in
          HTML?

          Personally, I don't quote attribute values when it's not mandatory because
          hitting that quote key is too much work and it adds to the file size. I
          follow the basic rule of thumb of all numbers (width=600) or all letters
          (valign=top) OK to not quote. But quote mixed (size="+1",
          bgcolor="#000000").

          This is from the W3C's HTML 4.0 specs
          (http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/html40.txt):

          In certain cases, authors may specify the value of an attribute without any
          quotation marks. The attribute value may only contain letters (a-z and A-Z),
          digits (0-9), hyphens (ASCII decimal 45), and periods (ASCII decimal 46). We
          recommend using quotation marks even when it is possible to eliminate them.
          Attribute names are always case-insensitive. Attribute values are generally
          case-insensitive. The definition of each attribute in the reference manual
          indicates whether its value is case-insensitive.
          Cheers,
          Ray Fitz

          eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
        • Kay Roath
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 21, 1999
            06/21/1999 9:02 AM Glenn Dixon wrote
            > one question.....if I am typing in a document window, what's the fastest way
            > to shift the focus back to the clip window so I can type 'b' and move right
            > to Bold? Is there a keystroke combination for this?

            Besides jumping to thr clip area or using In-Context or F2,
            there's now the HTML-ar Library. To get <b></b> inserted
            into the document, you would type <b followed by a space
            (check the About clip for other keys that work also). If
            you have text that you want surrounded by <b></b>,
            highlight the text and press Escape then <b then Enter.

            Of course, you need to have auto replace turned on for
            things to work as I've described in my mostly lower case
            way:)

            --- Grandma Kay ---
            http://notetab.kay.net

            eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
          • Rod Davies
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 21, 1999
              I feel Clip libraries are best seen as "samples" or "examples". They are
              offered to the Note Tab community as a way for sharing what has proved
              useful to an individual, (and free of charge too!). Therefore the
              inconsistency.. but when you think about it, consistency is not what clips
              are about really... and the USP of Note Tab is that you can customise it to
              work the way you want, for a trade off in learning curves....

              The key is to put all the clips you feel are useful for you in your own
              personal library(ies), edit them if necessary, and away you go... My tip is
              to choose an existing library which is close to what you want, review and
              edit if necessary each clip, and then copy clips you like from other
              libraries into it, again editing as you go, It could take as little as 30
              minutes to an afternoon.... It takes a small investment of time for a
              highly personal and customised solution.

              I am forever grateful to those who upload their clip libraries as I didn't
              have to start from scratch. But it would be almost impossible for someone's
              customised solution to match exactly another person's needs.

              Changing all tags in a clip library to upper or lower case is a 2 minute
              job, I am sure, once you know...

              And I'm pretty sure there is a menu item or clip which does it
              automatically. ..Though I'm not sure where it is (:-)!

              But I guess my main point is that Clips are not part of NT per se but like
              add-ons or "macro's" which extend functionality and customization.

              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 23, 1999
                Rod Davies wrote:
                [Rod, please don't put a fullqoute after your message]

                > The key is to put all the clips you feel are useful for you in your own
                > personal library(ies), edit them if necessary, and away you go...

                JAp. But it's nice if you give the author of the clip a tip what you have
                missed and what you would have prefered. This way, the author can decide
                wether to take this suggestion into the library or not.

                Why should you do so?
                Because the next time a new version of your best liked library comes out,
                you have to do your changes again. And again.

                > But I guess my main point is that Clips are not part of NT per se but like
                > add-ons or "macro's" which extend functionality and customization.

                Oh, there are clips - but you can't include all cliplibraries which are
                available on the website. :o)
                Nicole

                --
                »So, you're searching for alien life forms? Don't you meet
                enough strange people in discussion lists like this one? ;o)«

                eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html