[NH] Re: [Clip] What else? Regular Expressions

  • Charles A. Brannon
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 3 10:56 AM
      Reply-to:ntb-html@egroups.com

      --- Dennis Partridge <partridge@...> wrote:

      > I've had thought that the proper way would be to use:

      > --><!--banner-->\*<!--banner-->
      > <!--webbot
      > bot="HTMLMarkup" endspan --></p>
      >
      > But this fails to provide any matches.

      It seems to me that the expression you want for the variable text is /.*/ which
      means any character and number of times, and not /\*/, which means precisely
      one occurrence of an asterisk. The resulting search string would then be the
      following:

      --><!--banner-->.*<!--banner--><!--webbot bot="HTMLMarkup" endspan --></p>

      I have had problems with matching variably-placed imbedded line feeds in
      NoteTab. This may be part of the problem, too. Tell me if this doesn't work.

      Reply-to:ntb-html@egroups.com
      http://im.yahoo.com
    • Dennis Partridge
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 3 12:33 PM
        Hi Charles,

        Thanks for the idea. Unfortunately it did not work. You are right in
        analyzing the fact that It must search across multiple lines. This does
        appear to be the problem... anyone have any solutions? I'm talking about
        searching across 60,000 files, so I was hoping to use Disk Replace for it.

        Dennis

        At 10:56 AM 2/3/00 -0800, you wrote:
        >Reply-to:ntb-html@egroups.com
        >
        >--- Dennis Partridge <partridge@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> I've had thought that the proper way would be to use:

        >> --><!--banner-->\*<!--banner-->
        >> <!--webbot
        >> bot="HTMLMarkup" endspan --></p>
        >>
        >> But this fails to provide any matches.
        >
        >It seems to me that the expression you want for the variable text is /.*/
        which
        >means any character and number of times, and not /\*/, which means precisely
        >one occurrence of an asterisk. The resulting search string would then be the
        >following:

        >--><!--banner-->.*<!--banner--><!--webbot bot="HTMLMarkup" endspan --></p>
        >
        >I have had problems with matching variably-placed imbedded line feeds in
        >NoteTab. This may be part of the problem, too. Tell me if this doesn't work.
        >
        >Reply-to:ntb-html@egroups.com
        >http://im.yahoo.com

        >GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds! Get rates as low as 0.0%
        >Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR and no hidden fees. Apply NOW!

        >-- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=ntb-html&m=1

        partridge@...

        Dennis N. Partridge
        partridge@...

        The SurnameWeb
        http://www.surnameweb.org/
        Co-Founder and Team Leader

        AccessGenealogy
        http://www.accessgenealogy.com/
        Webmaster

        The Partridge Nest (note new address!!!)
        http://www.partridgenest.com/
        Webmaster