Newbie javascript question was Re: [NH] JavaScript Boilerplate ... with passed parameters

  • Krister Ekstrom
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 7, 2002
      Hi Jeff,

      On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, at 09:31:13 [GMT -0400] (which was 15:31 in my
      corner of the world) ,you typed:

      JB> I am glad to see more people discovering the
      JB> joys of javascript!

      I'm a newbie to all this, that is i've put up a website in the passt
      using, (dare i say it) Ms Frontpage. I've tried several html editors
      in the passt and decided to try taking the plunge and write a page or
      two with Notetab. I also want to discover the joys of Javascript and i
      wonder if there are clips out there or a very simple tutorial that can
      help a novise into the world of Javascript.

      --
      /Krister mailto:krister@...
    • Ian Rastall
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 8, 2002
        On Fri, 7 Jun 2002 19:36:32 +0200, you wrote:

        >I also want to discover the joys of Javascript and i
        >wonder if there are clips out there or a very simple tutorial that can
        >help a novise into the world of Javascript.

        This looks like a good site:

        http://www.pageresource.com/jscript/index.html

        The guy who does the site, John Pollock, wrote a good book, which I
        own, called JavaScript: A Beginner's Guide. It's very good at giving
        you all the basics.

        Now that I'm a little more advanced, I'm reading a book published by
        O'Reilly, called JavaScript: The Definitive Guide, written by David
        Flanagan (Fourth Edition). That's the book you really need, but it's
        pretty hardcore stuff. Pollock's book is great for starting out, and I
        imagine his website is much the same.

        Ian
        --
        That's just my Buzzian theory. (Buzz Ruppelt)

        http://www.aspipes.org/
      • Jeff Burrows
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 8, 2002
          There is a really nice tutorial at:

          http://www.cfgatlin.com/javascript/index.html

          and also

          http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/js/

          If you learned everything at these two sites, you
          would become a JavaScript Jedi!

          On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, at 09:31:13 [GMT -0400] (which was 15:31 in my
          corner of the world) ,you typed:

          JB> I am glad to see more people discovering the
          JB> joys of javascript!

          I'm a newbie to all this, that is i've put up a website in the passt
          using, (dare i say it) Ms Frontpage. I've tried several html editors
          in the passt and decided to try taking the plunge and write a page or
          two with Notetab. I also want to discover the joys of Javascript and i
          wonder if there are clips out there or a very simple tutorial that can
          help a novise into the world of Javascript.

          --
          /Krister mailto:krister@...

        • Adam Weston
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 8, 2002
            Krister:

            Before getting into javascript, I recommend getting pretty familiar with
            HTML and CSS. CSS is not a big deal to learn, and its a vital complement to
            HTML. Javascript will make more sense when you already know HTML/CSS. This
            is all just my humble opinion...

            To answer your question, A great place to learn HTML, CSS, and Javascript
            (and lots of other things) is:

            http://www.w3schools.com

            Have fun!

            -Adam

            I'm a newbie to all this, that is i've put up a website in the passt
            using, (dare i say it) Ms Frontpage. I've tried several html editors
            in the passt and decided to try taking the plunge and write a page or
            two with Notetab. I also want to discover the joys of Javascript and i
            wonder if there are clips out there or a very simple tutorial that can
            help a novise into the world of Javascript.

            --
            /Krister mailto:krister@...

          • stephen riddle
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 8, 2002
              Hi Krister
              Welcome to the hair pulling world of JavaScript!
              Visit the NoteTab site for some clipLibraries concerning javaScript.
              I first learned JavaScript from a web site, but you'd better do a google
              search (google.com) because it's been long enough it may not be there any
              more.
              G.luck
              Stephen
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 9, 2002
                Hi Jeff,

                Thanks a lot. Are there notetab specific tuts as well or better still,
                clips that taught me as i go? (Maybe that isn't possible)
                Anyways, i'll check into both the tuts you gave me the address to and
                the ones that someone else posted here.
                Thanks so much, everyone!

                --
                /Krister mailto:krister@...