Mozilla 1.0

  • Larry Hamilton
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 7, 2002
      I downloaded Mozilla 1.0 the other day. So far it appears to work well. At
      least all my pages display the way I intended. One neat feature is that it
      supports opening links in tabs or new windows. I have it on WinXP Home. I
      also have a Redhat Linux partition, which comes with an earlier version of
      Mozilla. MSN does not appear to work with Linux, so no online surfing, I
      still have to download it for Linux, maybe....

      If this is basically the same as NS 6.x, then I will not bother to download
      it. I have heard so much bad about it, that I have held off downloading it.
      I was going to download it at work over a fast connection and just burn it
      to CD, but I did not see how to download the whole thing. There must be a
      buried link I do not have the patience to find. Has anyone compared how the
      two Mozilla 1/NS 6 compare in how they display?

      Larry Hamilton
      lmh@...
      http://notlimah.tripod.com/
      http://jillhamilton-momteam.shorturl.com/
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 7, 2002
        At 06:37 2002.06.08, Larry Hamilton wrote:
        >I downloaded Mozilla 1.0 the other day. So far it appears to work well. At
        >least all my pages display the way I intended.

        <snip>

        >If this is basically the same as NS 6.x, then I will not bother to download
        >it. I have heard so much bad about it, that I have held off downloading it.
        >I was going to download it at work over a fast connection and just burn it
        >to CD, but I did not see how to download the whole thing. There must be a
        >buried link I do not have the patience to find. Has anyone compared how the
        >two Mozilla 1/NS 6 compare in how they display?

        Not personally, but since Netscape 6.2 is based on a much older Moz there
        are of course differences, the latest Moz always being the better one
        rendering wise with more bugs fixed. They are up to Netscape 7 Pre Release
        now btw.

        I agree with you, Moz is nice. Really nice. I love the text zoom. All
        others have too big steps between sizes. Not to mention the "Style Sheet
        Switcher" and the best CSS support of them all.

        I'm a little confused, which download can't you locate?

        Lotta
      • Larry Hamilton
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 8, 2002
          Lotta,

          I cannot locate a direct download of the NS 6 setup, only the setup
          installer. I wanted to be able to save the whole setup without having
          install it.

          Larry

          > I'm a little confused, which download can't you locate?
          >

          > Lotta
        • Don Passenger
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 8, 2002
            I looked at http://wp.netscape.com/download/archive/client_archive62x.html
            and it appears to be setup as you indicated.

            I think this may be what you want, however:
            http://sillydog.org/narchive/#ns6

            --
            Don Passenger
            mailto:dpasseng@...
            > I cannot locate a direct download of the NS 6 setup, only the setup
            > installer. I wanted to be able to save the whole setup without having
            > install it.
            >
            > Larry
            >
            > > I'm a little confused, which download can't you locate?
            > >

            > > Lotta

          • Larry Hamilton
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 8, 2002
              Don,

              THANKS!

              Now I can take a CD to work and have it and a couple other versions in less
              time than I could download one from home.

              Larry

              > and it appears to be setup as you indicated.
              >
              > I think this may be what you want, however:
              > http://sillydog.org/narchive/#ns6
              >
              > --
              > Don Passenger
              > mailto:dpasseng@...
              > home: http://www.iserv.net/~dpasseng
              > work: http://www.grcourt.org
            • hsavage
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 8, 2002
                > Larry Hamilton wrote:
                >
                > Lotta,
                >
                > I cannot locate a direct download of the NS 6 setup, only the setup
                > installer. I wanted to be able to save the whole setup without having
                > install it.
                >
                > Larry
                >
                > I'm a little confused, which download can't you locate?
                >
                > Lotta

                Larry,

                I don't know if this will suit you but you should be able to get any
                final 1.0 build of Mozilla before Netscape adds AIM and all their other
                additions.

                I have tried many dozens of the betas starting with 0.9.4, only Windows
                versions and the final, 1.0, didn't disappoint me.

                This link should get you to a page where you'll find the version you need.

                http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/releases/mozilla1.0/

                hrs