JavaScript Boilerplate ... with passed parameters

  • Don Passenger
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 6 3:14 PM
      Hey Christine, today instead of doing yoga (which looks like it hurts to me
      ..), I redid the javascript boilerplate from yesterday to make it even more
      useful by passing parameters. The possibilities are endless ...

      Here is the same example with parameters being passed. Say for example we
      had a site and wanted the same footer on every page, but wanted you to be
      able to write the particular person responsible for each page. We can use
      one footer .js external file, but by passing the name and email address, we
      can customize the footer on every page. Then if we need to update the
      footer, we only have one file to modify. This seems useful to me.

      Here are the revised files.

      The external JavaScript file named temp.js:
      //***
      function printMessage(email, name) {
      document.write ("Hey this footer will appear. If this page needs revision
      write to: <a href='mailto:" + email + ">" + name + "</a>");
      }
      //***

      The XHTML file:
      <!-- start -->
      <head>
      <title>*** External JavaScript Boilerplate ***</title>
      </head>

      <h3>How to Get a Boiler Plate Footer</h3>

      <script language="JavaScript">
      document.write('<script language="JavaScript" src="temp.js"><\/SCRIPT>');
      </script>
      <script language="JavaScript">
      printMessage("passenger@...","Don Passenger");
      </script>
      <!-- stop -->
    • Jeff Burrows
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 7 6:31 AM
        Don - great stuff. I am glad to see more people discovering the
        joys of javascript!

        On suggestion: In your external file, have the function return
        a text string rather than performing the document.write. This gives
        you more flexibility to reuse the function in the future.

        function printMessage(email, name) {
        var output;
        output = "Hey this footer will appear. If this page needs revision ";
        output += "write to: <a href='mailto:" + email + ">" + name + "</a>");
        return output;
        }

        then, in your document, just do:

        document.write(printMessage("passenger@...","Don Passenger"));

        This may seem picky, but it pays off in the long run.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 7 7:05 AM
          nope great improvement ...
          as with all things javascript I was working off of something I found along
          the way ...

          --
          Don Passenger
          mailto:dpasseng@...
          > Don - great stuff. I am glad to see more people discovering the
          > joys of javascript!
          >
          > On suggestion: In your external file, have the function return
          > a text string rather than performing the document.write. This gives
          > you more flexibility to reuse the function in the future.
          >
          > function printMessage(email, name) {
          > var output;
          > output = "Hey this footer will appear. If this page needs revision ";
          > output += "write to: <a href='mailto:" + email + ">" + name + "</a>");
          > return output;
          > }
          >
          > then, in your document, just do:
          >
          > document.write(printMessage("passenger@...","Don Passenger"));
          >
          > This may seem picky, but it pays off in the long run.
        • Krister Ekstrom
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 7 10:36 AM
            Hi Jeff,

            On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, at 09:31:13 [GMT -0400] (which was 15:31 in my
            corner of the world) ,you typed:

            JB> I am glad to see more people discovering the
            JB> joys of javascript!

            I'm a newbie to all this, that is i've put up a website in the passt
            using, (dare i say it) Ms Frontpage. I've tried several html editors
            in the passt and decided to try taking the plunge and write a page or
            two with Notetab. I also want to discover the joys of Javascript and i
            wonder if there are clips out there or a very simple tutorial that can
            help a novise into the world of Javascript.

            --
            /Krister mailto:krister@...
          • Ian Rastall
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 8 12:54 AM
              On Fri, 7 Jun 2002 19:36:32 +0200, you wrote:

              >I also want to discover the joys of Javascript and i
              >wonder if there are clips out there or a very simple tutorial that can
              >help a novise into the world of Javascript.

              This looks like a good site:

              http://www.pageresource.com/jscript/index.html

              The guy who does the site, John Pollock, wrote a good book, which I
              own, called JavaScript: A Beginner's Guide. It's very good at giving
              you all the basics.

              Now that I'm a little more advanced, I'm reading a book published by
              O'Reilly, called JavaScript: The Definitive Guide, written by David
              Flanagan (Fourth Edition). That's the book you really need, but it's
              pretty hardcore stuff. Pollock's book is great for starting out, and I
              imagine his website is much the same.

              Ian
              --
              That's just my Buzzian theory. (Buzz Ruppelt)

              http://www.aspipes.org/
            • Jeff Burrows
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 8 7:24 AM
                There is a really nice tutorial at:

                http://www.cfgatlin.com/javascript/index.html

                and also

                http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/js/

                If you learned everything at these two sites, you
                would become a JavaScript Jedi!

                On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, at 09:31:13 [GMT -0400] (which was 15:31 in my
                corner of the world) ,you typed:

                JB> I am glad to see more people discovering the
                JB> joys of javascript!

                I'm a newbie to all this, that is i've put up a website in the passt
                using, (dare i say it) Ms Frontpage. I've tried several html editors
                in the passt and decided to try taking the plunge and write a page or
                two with Notetab. I also want to discover the joys of Javascript and i
                wonder if there are clips out there or a very simple tutorial that can
                help a novise into the world of Javascript.

                --
                /Krister mailto:krister@...

              • Adam Weston
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 8 3:51 PM
                  Krister:

                  Before getting into javascript, I recommend getting pretty familiar with
                  HTML and CSS. CSS is not a big deal to learn, and its a vital complement to
                  HTML. Javascript will make more sense when you already know HTML/CSS. This
                  is all just my humble opinion...

                  To answer your question, A great place to learn HTML, CSS, and Javascript
                  (and lots of other things) is:

                  http://www.w3schools.com

                  Have fun!

                  -Adam

                  I'm a newbie to all this, that is i've put up a website in the passt
                  using, (dare i say it) Ms Frontpage. I've tried several html editors
                  in the passt and decided to try taking the plunge and write a page or
                  two with Notetab. I also want to discover the joys of Javascript and i
                  wonder if there are clips out there or a very simple tutorial that can
                  help a novise into the world of Javascript.

                  --
                  /Krister mailto:krister@...

                • stephen riddle
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 8 9:24 PM
                    Hi Krister
                    Welcome to the hair pulling world of JavaScript!
                    Visit the NoteTab site for some clipLibraries concerning javaScript.
                    I first learned JavaScript from a web site, but you'd better do a google
                    search (google.com) because it's been long enough it may not be there any
                    more.
                    G.luck
                    Stephen
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 9 4:11 AM
                      Hi Jeff,

                      Thanks a lot. Are there notetab specific tuts as well or better still,
                      clips that taught me as i go? (Maybe that isn't possible)
                      Anyways, i'll check into both the tuts you gave me the address to and
                      the ones that someone else posted here.
                      Thanks so much, everyone!

                      --
                      /Krister mailto:krister@...