Re: [NH] Special Characters: Sanskrit! and other wishes.

  • Ian Rastall
    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 5, 2002
      On Wed, 05 Jun 2002 22:54:19 -0400, you wrote:

      >I tried your code, but only got the first 10 characters, then they become
      >boxes. <sigh>

      I got the boxes too. This really goes beyond my level. Perhaps if you
      did something with embedded fonts, that might work. Never tried them
      myself, but as far as I know, they're font packages that you attach to
      your HTML, which the user downloads the first time they view the page.
      Here's a few links:

      http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/98/01/index3a.html?tw=design

      http://builder.cnet.com/webbuilding/pages/Authoring/Typography/ss01.html

      http://www.devshed.com/Client_Side/DHTML/EmbeddedFonts/page1.html

      HTH
      Ian
      --
      If you're smoking Barbary Coast, you're already smoking well.
      But if you're smoking Borkum Riff or something like gooseberry-Oreo-creme,

      http://www.aspipes.org/
    • Christine F. Muehling
      Message 2 of 24 , Jun 6, 2002
        I was going to ask more about embedded fonts. I know what they are in a
        regular document...

        I was considering making graphics of the words, but my page alone has 100s
        of Sanskrit words on it. I have other priorities with this site. But it
        does disappoint me! The darned letters I need the most (h, n, and m
        under/overdot) are the ones I can't find or make work.

        I'll experiment with the embedded fonts and keep you posted!
        Thanks for helping, Ian! (everyone!)

        Christine

        Message 3 of 24 , Jun 6, 2002
          You're kidding..
          Between your two messages to the list it seems you've taken much of the
          mystery out of it!

          I'm going to give this a shot, too.
          Are there advantages of using this over the simple SSI text files?

          Christine

          Message 4 of 24 , Jun 6, 2002
            The advantages of using javascript for boilerplate insertion are:
            1. that it works if you don't have ssi/php/asp/etc as a alternative
            2. you can preview it on your own machine (vs the others which need to be
            parsed on the server)

            The disadvantage are:
            1. that if javascript is disabled (which it generally isn't -- but with
            pop-up's some disable it) you don't get the boilerplate
            2. its a programming language thing that might be more confusing than a
            simple include

            --
            Don Passenger
            mailto:dpasseng@...
            > Between your two messages to the list it seems you've taken much of the
            > mystery out of it!
            >
            > I'm going to give this a shot, too.
            > Are there advantages of using this over the simple SSI text files?
            >
            > Christine

          • Ian Rastall
            Message 5 of 24 , Jun 6, 2002
              On Thu, 6 Jun 2002 12:30:16 -0400, you wrote:

              >The advantages of using javascript for boilerplate insertion are:
              >1. that it works if you don't have ssi/php/asp/etc as a alternative
              >2. you can preview it on your own machine (vs the others which need to be
              >parsed on the server)
              >
              >The disadvantage are:
              >1. that if javascript is disabled (which it generally isn't -- but with
              >pop-up's some disable it) you don't get the boilerplate
              >2. its a programming language thing that might be more confusing than a
              >simple include

              I agree about the disadvantage. The thing about anything server-side,
              is that you know up front if you can use it. For instance, if your
              server allows PHP, then you know you can use PHP, and all your users
              will be able to see it. Same with SSI. As long as SSI is allowed on
              your server, it will always work for every user. Not everyone uses JS
              (although it's not as much of an issue as it used to be).

              I don't think it's a JS vs. SSI thing, I think it's a client-side vs.
              server-side thing, and I would tend more towards server-side (if I
              knew any bloody server-side languages.) :)

              Ian
              --
              That's just my Buzzian theory. (Buzz Ruppelt)

              http://www.aspipes.org/