Re: [NH] Special Characters: Sanskrit! and other wishes.

  • Don Passenger
    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 5, 2002
      A page might look like this:
      <head>
      <title>*** External JavaScript Footer ***</title>
      </head>

      <h3>How to Get a Boiler Plate Footer</h3>

      <script language="JavaScript">
      document.write('<script language="JavaScript" src="temp.js"><\/SCRIPT>');
      </script>
      <script language="JavaScript">
      printMessage();
      </script>

      --
      Don Passenger
      mailto:dpasseng@...
      Message 2 of 24 , Jun 5, 2002
        Your External JS file might look like this:
        function printMessage() {
        document.write ("Hey this footer will appear");
        }

        Message 3 of 24 , Jun 5, 2002
          I tried your code, but only got the first 10 characters, then they become
          boxes. <sigh>
          I've looked at your page before, which is where I got the codes I've been
          testing.
          I tried the Unicode format on all of the alpha/numeric codes (x.....;)
          but got nice squares, the x, then the alpha/numeric code and a final
          semicolon.

          I got the hang of SSI right away. I will be changing my pages to shtml with
          a bunch of redirect scripts. <sigh> But what the heck, right!?

          Thanks for trying to help, Ian. This is a toughie.

          Christine

          Message 4 of 24 , Jun 5, 2002
            On Wed, 05 Jun 2002 22:54:19 -0400, you wrote:

            >I tried your code, but only got the first 10 characters, then they become
            >boxes. <sigh>

            I got the boxes too. This really goes beyond my level. Perhaps if you
            did something with embedded fonts, that might work. Never tried them
            myself, but as far as I know, they're font packages that you attach to
            your HTML, which the user downloads the first time they view the page.
            Here's a few links:

            http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/98/01/index3a.html?tw=design

            http://builder.cnet.com/webbuilding/pages/Authoring/Typography/ss01.html

            http://www.devshed.com/Client_Side/DHTML/EmbeddedFonts/page1.html

            HTH
            Ian
            --
            If you're smoking Barbary Coast, you're already smoking well.
            But if you're smoking Borkum Riff or something like gooseberry-Oreo-creme,
            then you're in my prayers. (Ronald S. Ipock)

            http://www.aspipes.org/
          • Christine F. Muehling
            Message 5 of 24 , Jun 6, 2002
              I was going to ask more about embedded fonts. I know what they are in a
              regular document...

              I was considering making graphics of the words, but my page alone has 100s
              of Sanskrit words on it. I have other priorities with this site. But it
              does disappoint me! The darned letters I need the most (h, n, and m
              under/overdot) are the ones I can't find or make work.

              I'll experiment with the embedded fonts and keep you posted!
              Thanks for helping, Ian! (everyone!)

              Christine

              Message 6 of 24 , Jun 6, 2002
                You're kidding..
                Between your two messages to the list it seems you've taken much of the
                mystery out of it!

                I'm going to give this a shot, too.
                Are there advantages of using this over the simple SSI text files?

                Christine

                Message 7 of 24 , Jun 6, 2002
                  The advantages of using javascript for boilerplate insertion are:
                  1. that it works if you don't have ssi/php/asp/etc as a alternative
                  2. you can preview it on your own machine (vs the others which need to be
                  parsed on the server)

                  The disadvantage are:
                  1. that if javascript is disabled (which it generally isn't -- but with
                  pop-up's some disable it) you don't get the boilerplate
                  2. its a programming language thing that might be more confusing than a
                  simple include

                  --
                  Don Passenger
                  mailto:dpasseng@...
                  home: http://www.iserv.net/~dpasseng
                  work: http://www.grcourt.org
                  > Between your two messages to the list it seems you've taken much of the
                  > mystery out of it!
                  >
                  > I'm going to give this a shot, too.
                  > Are there advantages of using this over the simple SSI text files?
                  >
                  > Christine

                • Ian Rastall
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jun 6, 2002
                    On Thu, 6 Jun 2002 12:30:16 -0400, you wrote:

                    >The advantages of using javascript for boilerplate insertion are:
                    >1. that it works if you don't have ssi/php/asp/etc as a alternative
                    >2. you can preview it on your own machine (vs the others which need to be
                    >parsed on the server)
                    >
                    >The disadvantage are:
                    >1. that if javascript is disabled (which it generally isn't -- but with
                    >pop-up's some disable it) you don't get the boilerplate
                    >2. its a programming language thing that might be more confusing than a
                    >simple include

                    I agree about the disadvantage. The thing about anything server-side,
                    is that you know up front if you can use it. For instance, if your
                    server allows PHP, then you know you can use PHP, and all your users
                    will be able to see it. Same with SSI. As long as SSI is allowed on
                    your server, it will always work for every user. Not everyone uses JS
                    (although it's not as much of an issue as it used to be).

                    I don't think it's a JS vs. SSI thing, I think it's a client-side vs.
                    server-side thing, and I would tend more towards server-side (if I
                    knew any bloody server-side languages.) :)

                    Ian
                    --
                    That's just my Buzzian theory. (Buzz Ruppelt)

                    http://www.aspipes.org/