Re: [NH] Special Characters: Sanskrit! and other wishes.

  • Ian Rastall
    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 5, 2002
      On Tue, 04 Jun 2002 17:16:58 -0400, you wrote:

      >Just wanted you to know that although I'm getting NOWHERE with the Sanskrit
      >special characters

      Hi Christine. Here's something I just wrote to test out the sanskrit
      stuff at (http://www.fsnow.com/pali/fonts/roman-table/) :

      <head>
      <title>Unicode Sanskrit Stuff</title>
      ū Ḍ ḍ Ḥ ḥ Ḷ ḷ Ṃ ṃ
      Ṅ ṅ Ṇ ṇ Ṛ ṛ Ṣ ṣ
      Ṭ ṭ</p>

      All the numbers between 200 and 400 worked, and all the numbers
      between 7000 and 8000 didn't work. I'm using Win 2000, IE 5.0.

      Don't know what else to say. You might want to investigate "embedded
      fonts". That would be the first place I'd look.

      >Now.... any one know how to create oh, say, a block of information in one
      >file, like the credits links or stuff like that. Then to simply add a code
      >reference into the 100s of other pages so I don't have to reenter it on all
      >of them?

      The simplest way is to use SSI (Server Side Includes). You have to
      find out if your ISP allows it, though most do.

      Take the part of your file you want to appear in all files, and remove
      it, putting it on its own as a text file. Name the file, say, foo.txt.

      Then in its place, on all pages, write:

      <!--#include file="foo.txt" -->

      or, if it's in a directory different than the file,

      <!--#include virtual "../foo.txt" -->

      or

      <!--#include virtual "bar/foo.txt" -->

      or whatever. There are other includes, but those are the two basic
      ones.

      Once you decide to use includes, you have to change your .html
      extensions to .shtml

      Some ISP's will let you keep your .html extension by changing the
      htacess doohickey in your web folder, but ask them about that.
      Basically, you have to test to see if you have SSI on your server. Try
      doing one, with an .shtml extension. If it doesn't work, write to
      them. Ask them if they allow Server Side Includes.

      HTH
      Ian
      --
      If you're smoking Barbary Coast, you're already smoking well.
      But if you're smoking Borkum Riff or something like gooseberry-Oreo-creme,

      http://www.aspipes.org/
    • Wright, John - Textron Financial
      Message 2 of 24 , Jun 5, 2002
        Stephen,

        I, too, am looking for a ISP/browser independent method of including the
        same code in multiple web pages. I would be interested in seeing an example
        of your "externalJavascript file and the document.write statement" method.

        Message 3 of 24 , Jun 5, 2002
          A page might look like this:
          <head>
          <title>*** External JavaScript Footer ***</title>
          </head>

          <h3>How to Get a Boiler Plate Footer</h3>

          <script language="JavaScript">
          document.write('<script language="JavaScript" src="temp.js"><\/SCRIPT>');
          </script>
          <script language="JavaScript">
          printMessage();
          </script>

          --
          Don Passenger
          mailto:dpasseng@...
          > I, too, am looking for a ISP/browser independent method of including the
          > same code in multiple web pages. I would be interested in seeing an
          example
          > of your "externalJavascript file and the document.write statement" method.
        • Don Passenger
          Message 4 of 24 , Jun 5, 2002
            Your External JS file might look like this:
            function printMessage() {
            document.write ("Hey this footer will appear");
            }

            Message 5 of 24 , Jun 5, 2002
              I tried your code, but only got the first 10 characters, then they become
              boxes. <sigh>
              I've looked at your page before, which is where I got the codes I've been
              testing.
              I tried the Unicode format on all of the alpha/numeric codes (x.....;)
              but got nice squares, the x, then the alpha/numeric code and a final
              semicolon.

              I got the hang of SSI right away. I will be changing my pages to shtml with
              a bunch of redirect scripts. <sigh> But what the heck, right!?

              Thanks for trying to help, Ian. This is a toughie.

              Christine

              Message 6 of 24 , Jun 5, 2002
                On Wed, 05 Jun 2002 22:54:19 -0400, you wrote:

                >I tried your code, but only got the first 10 characters, then they become
                >boxes. <sigh>

                I got the boxes too. This really goes beyond my level. Perhaps if you
                did something with embedded fonts, that might work. Never tried them
                myself, but as far as I know, they're font packages that you attach to
                your HTML, which the user downloads the first time they view the page.
                Here's a few links:

                http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/98/01/index3a.html?tw=design

                http://builder.cnet.com/webbuilding/pages/Authoring/Typography/ss01.html

                http://www.devshed.com/Client_Side/DHTML/EmbeddedFonts/page1.html

                HTH
                Ian
                --
                If you're smoking Barbary Coast, you're already smoking well.
                But if you're smoking Borkum Riff or something like gooseberry-Oreo-creme,
                then you're in my prayers. (Ronald S. Ipock)

                http://www.aspipes.org/
              • Christine F. Muehling
                Message 7 of 24 , Jun 6, 2002
                  I was going to ask more about embedded fonts. I know what they are in a
                  regular document...

                  I was considering making graphics of the words, but my page alone has 100s
                  of Sanskrit words on it. I have other priorities with this site. But it
                  does disappoint me! The darned letters I need the most (h, n, and m
                  under/overdot) are the ones I can't find or make work.

                  I'll experiment with the embedded fonts and keep you posted!
                  Thanks for helping, Ian! (everyone!)

                  Christine

                  Message 8 of 24 , Jun 6, 2002
                    You're kidding..
                    Between your two messages to the list it seems you've taken much of the
                    mystery out of it!

                    I'm going to give this a shot, too.
                    Are there advantages of using this over the simple SSI text files?

                    Christine

                    Message 9 of 24 , Jun 6, 2002
                      The advantages of using javascript for boilerplate insertion are:
                      1. that it works if you don't have ssi/php/asp/etc as a alternative
                      2. you can preview it on your own machine (vs the others which need to be
                      parsed on the server)

                      The disadvantage are:
                      1. that if javascript is disabled (which it generally isn't -- but with
                      pop-up's some disable it) you don't get the boilerplate
                      2. its a programming language thing that might be more confusing than a
                      simple include

                      --
                      Don Passenger
                      mailto:dpasseng@...
                      home: http://www.iserv.net/~dpasseng
                      work: http://www.grcourt.org
                      > Between your two messages to the list it seems you've taken much of the
                      > mystery out of it!
                      >
                      > I'm going to give this a shot, too.
                      > Are there advantages of using this over the simple SSI text files?
                      >
                      > Christine

                    • Ian Rastall
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jun 6, 2002
                        On Thu, 6 Jun 2002 12:30:16 -0400, you wrote:

                        >The advantages of using javascript for boilerplate insertion are:
                        >1. that it works if you don't have ssi/php/asp/etc as a alternative
                        >2. you can preview it on your own machine (vs the others which need to be
                        >parsed on the server)
                        >
                        >The disadvantage are:
                        >1. that if javascript is disabled (which it generally isn't -- but with
                        >pop-up's some disable it) you don't get the boilerplate
                        >2. its a programming language thing that might be more confusing than a
                        >simple include

                        I agree about the disadvantage. The thing about anything server-side,
                        is that you know up front if you can use it. For instance, if your
                        server allows PHP, then you know you can use PHP, and all your users
                        will be able to see it. Same with SSI. As long as SSI is allowed on
                        your server, it will always work for every user. Not everyone uses JS
                        (although it's not as much of an issue as it used to be).

                        I don't think it's a JS vs. SSI thing, I think it's a client-side vs.
                        server-side thing, and I would tend more towards server-side (if I
                        knew any bloody server-side languages.) :)

                        Ian
                        --
                        That's just my Buzzian theory. (Buzz Ruppelt)

                        http://www.aspipes.org/