Re: [NH] Special Characters: Sanskrit! and other wishes.

  • stephen riddle
    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 4, 2002
      Hi Christine,
      There are ways and ways and ways. . .
      One way: use server side includes. This is very good if your webHost supports
      it. (I am not an expert but ther are lots of them on the list.) What this
      would do is to include other documents into the html page.
      Another way is to use the iframe html element which works for Netscape 5+ and
      IE 5+ and Opera 5+, Netscape 4 (with lots of users) would use its proprietary
      layer (or ilayer) element.
      Modern browsers (with varying degrees of success) also can use another
      document for the source of a div, or use another document for the source of
      an object element.
      I have ended up using a externalJavascript file and the document.write
      statement to insert easily editable stuff into a wide variety of pages. This
      works well for a lot of short discrete statements, but would not be any fun
      at all for large blocks of text. (eMail me private if you'd like to look at
      the site I use this for, and specifics on how I do it.)
      Good luck,
      Stephen
      > Now.... any one know how to create oh, say, a block of information in one
      > file, like the credits links or stuff like that. Then to simply add a code
      > reference into the 100s of other pages so I don't have to reenter it on all
      > of them? I could update that one block of text and it would automatically
      > show on the subsequent pages? Am I dreaming?
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > Christine

    • Ian Rastall
      Message 2 of 24 , Jun 5, 2002
        On Tue, 04 Jun 2002 17:16:58 -0400, you wrote:

        >Just wanted you to know that although I'm getting NOWHERE with the Sanskrit
        >special characters

        Hi Christine. Here's something I just wrote to test out the sanskrit
        stuff at (http://www.fsnow.com/pali/fonts/roman-table/) :

        <head>
        <title>Unicode Sanskrit Stuff</title>
        ū Ḍ ḍ Ḥ ḥ Ḷ ḷ Ṃ ṃ
        Ṅ ṅ Ṇ ṇ Ṛ ṛ Ṣ ṣ
        Ṭ ṭ</p>

        All the numbers between 200 and 400 worked, and all the numbers
        between 7000 and 8000 didn't work. I'm using Win 2000, IE 5.0.

        Don't know what else to say. You might want to investigate "embedded
        fonts". That would be the first place I'd look.

        >Now.... any one know how to create oh, say, a block of information in one
        >file, like the credits links or stuff like that. Then to simply add a code
        >reference into the 100s of other pages so I don't have to reenter it on all
        >of them?

        The simplest way is to use SSI (Server Side Includes). You have to
        find out if your ISP allows it, though most do.

        Take the part of your file you want to appear in all files, and remove
        it, putting it on its own as a text file. Name the file, say, foo.txt.

        Then in its place, on all pages, write:

        <!--#include file="foo.txt" -->

        or, if it's in a directory different than the file,

        <!--#include virtual "../foo.txt" -->

        or

        <!--#include virtual "bar/foo.txt" -->

        or whatever. There are other includes, but those are the two basic
        ones.

        Once you decide to use includes, you have to change your .html
        extensions to .shtml

        Some ISP's will let you keep your .html extension by changing the
        htacess doohickey in your web folder, but ask them about that.
        Basically, you have to test to see if you have SSI on your server. Try
        doing one, with an .shtml extension. If it doesn't work, write to
        them. Ask them if they allow Server Side Includes.

        HTH
        Ian
        --
        If you're smoking Barbary Coast, you're already smoking well.
        But if you're smoking Borkum Riff or something like gooseberry-Oreo-creme,

        http://www.aspipes.org/
      • Wright, John - Textron Financial
        Message 3 of 24 , Jun 5, 2002
          Stephen,

          I, too, am looking for a ISP/browser independent method of including the
          same code in multiple web pages. I would be interested in seeing an example
          of your "externalJavascript file and the document.write statement" method.

          One way: use server side includes. This is very good if your webHost
          supports
          it. (I am not an expert but ther are lots of them on the list.) What this

          would do is to include other documents into the html page.
          Another way is to use the iframe html element which works for Netscape 5+
          and
          IE 5+ and Opera 5+, Netscape 4 (with lots of users) would use its
          proprietary
          layer (or ilayer) element.
          Modern browsers (with varying degrees of success) also can use another
          document for the source of a div, or use another document for the source of
          an object element.
          I have ended up using a externalJavascript file and the document.write
          statement to insert easily editable stuff into a wide variety of pages. This

          works well for a lot of short discrete statements, but would not be any fun
          at all for large blocks of text. (eMail me private if you'd like to look at
          the site I use this for, and specifics on how I do it.)
          Good luck,
          Stephen
          > Now.... any one know how to create oh, say, a block of information in one
          > file, like the credits links or stuff like that. Then to simply add a
          code
          > reference into the 100s of other pages so I don't have to reenter it on
          all
          > of them? I could update that one block of text and it would automatically
          > show on the subsequent pages? Am I dreaming?
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > Christine

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
        • Don Passenger
          Message 4 of 24 , Jun 5, 2002
            A page might look like this:
            <head>
            <title>*** External JavaScript Footer ***</title>
            </head>

            <h3>How to Get a Boiler Plate Footer</h3>

            <script language="JavaScript">
            document.write('<script language="JavaScript" src="temp.js"><\/SCRIPT>');
            </script>
            <script language="JavaScript">
            printMessage();
            </script>

            --
            Don Passenger
            mailto:dpasseng@...
            Message 5 of 24 , Jun 5, 2002
              Your External JS file might look like this:
              function printMessage() {
              document.write ("Hey this footer will appear");
              }

              Message 6 of 24 , Jun 5, 2002
                I tried your code, but only got the first 10 characters, then they become
                boxes. <sigh>
                I've looked at your page before, which is where I got the codes I've been
                testing.
                I tried the Unicode format on all of the alpha/numeric codes (x.....;)
                but got nice squares, the x, then the alpha/numeric code and a final
                semicolon.

                I got the hang of SSI right away. I will be changing my pages to shtml with
                a bunch of redirect scripts. <sigh> But what the heck, right!?

                Thanks for trying to help, Ian. This is a toughie.

                Christine

                Message 7 of 24 , Jun 5, 2002
                  On Wed, 05 Jun 2002 22:54:19 -0400, you wrote:

                  >I tried your code, but only got the first 10 characters, then they become
                  >boxes. <sigh>

                  I got the boxes too. This really goes beyond my level. Perhaps if you
                  did something with embedded fonts, that might work. Never tried them
                  myself, but as far as I know, they're font packages that you attach to
                  your HTML, which the user downloads the first time they view the page.
                  Here's a few links:

                  http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/98/01/index3a.html?tw=design

                  http://builder.cnet.com/webbuilding/pages/Authoring/Typography/ss01.html

                  http://www.devshed.com/Client_Side/DHTML/EmbeddedFonts/page1.html

                  HTH
                  Ian
                  --
                  If you're smoking Barbary Coast, you're already smoking well.
                  But if you're smoking Borkum Riff or something like gooseberry-Oreo-creme,
                  then you're in my prayers. (Ronald S. Ipock)

                  http://www.aspipes.org/
                • Christine F. Muehling
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jun 6, 2002
                    I was going to ask more about embedded fonts. I know what they are in a
                    regular document...

                    I was considering making graphics of the words, but my page alone has 100s
                    of Sanskrit words on it. I have other priorities with this site. But it
                    does disappoint me! The darned letters I need the most (h, n, and m
                    under/overdot) are the ones I can't find or make work.

                    I'll experiment with the embedded fonts and keep you posted!
                    Thanks for helping, Ian! (everyone!)

                    Christine

                    Message 9 of 24 , Jun 6, 2002
                      You're kidding..
                      Between your two messages to the list it seems you've taken much of the
                      mystery out of it!

                      I'm going to give this a shot, too.
                      Are there advantages of using this over the simple SSI text files?

                      Christine

                      Message 10 of 24 , Jun 6, 2002
                        The advantages of using javascript for boilerplate insertion are:
                        1. that it works if you don't have ssi/php/asp/etc as a alternative
                        2. you can preview it on your own machine (vs the others which need to be
                        parsed on the server)

                        The disadvantage are:
                        1. that if javascript is disabled (which it generally isn't -- but with
                        pop-up's some disable it) you don't get the boilerplate
                        2. its a programming language thing that might be more confusing than a
                        simple include

                        --
                        Don Passenger
                        mailto:dpasseng@...
                        home: http://www.iserv.net/~dpasseng
                        work: http://www.grcourt.org
                        > Between your two messages to the list it seems you've taken much of the
                        > mystery out of it!
                        >
                        > I'm going to give this a shot, too.
                        > Are there advantages of using this over the simple SSI text files?
                        >
                        > Christine

                      • Ian Rastall
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jun 6, 2002
                          On Thu, 6 Jun 2002 12:30:16 -0400, you wrote:

                          >The advantages of using javascript for boilerplate insertion are:
                          >1. that it works if you don't have ssi/php/asp/etc as a alternative
                          >2. you can preview it on your own machine (vs the others which need to be
                          >parsed on the server)
                          >
                          >The disadvantage are:
                          >1. that if javascript is disabled (which it generally isn't -- but with
                          >pop-up's some disable it) you don't get the boilerplate
                          >2. its a programming language thing that might be more confusing than a
                          >simple include

                          I agree about the disadvantage. The thing about anything server-side,
                          is that you know up front if you can use it. For instance, if your
                          server allows PHP, then you know you can use PHP, and all your users
                          will be able to see it. Same with SSI. As long as SSI is allowed on
                          your server, it will always work for every user. Not everyone uses JS
                          (although it's not as much of an issue as it used to be).

                          I don't think it's a JS vs. SSI thing, I think it's a client-side vs.
                          server-side thing, and I would tend more towards server-side (if I
                          knew any bloody server-side languages.) :)

                          Ian
                          --
                          That's just my Buzzian theory. (Buzz Ruppelt)

                          http://www.aspipes.org/