Re: [NH] Special Characters: Sanskrit! and other wishes.

  • Don Passenger
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 4, 2002
      Nope, there are many choices to do just that, for example on an nt server
      with asp enabled (may need to use .asp for file names) use a file include,
      or on most other servers ask your isp to enable server side includes ( see
      http://www.bignosebird.com - may need to use .shtml for extension). There
      is very little difference between these two, but you usually only have one
      or the other available.

      Or use javascript and use an external javascript file which gets output on
      each page.

      --
      Don Passenger
      mailto:dpasseng@...
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 4, 2002
        If you are hosted on a Unix/Linux server, PHP is another good option. It is
        the one I use, and I found its learning curve less steep than other options.

        Larry

        > Nope, there are many choices to do just that, for example on an nt server
        > with asp enabled (may need to use .asp for file names) use a file include,
        > or on most other servers ask your isp to enable server side includes ( see
        > http://www.bignosebird.com - may need to use .shtml for extension). There
        > is very little difference between these two, but you usually only have one
        > or the other available.
        >
        > Or use javascript and use an external javascript file which gets output on
        > each page.
      • Christine F. Muehling
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 4, 2002
          Thank you, Larry. I'm not.
          There is a lot offered for Unix, but since I know absolutely nothing about
          it, I went with NT.
          Christine.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 4, 2002
            Christine,

            You're welcome.

            It is not as hard as some would have you believe. Basically the only
            difference is what the ISP offers. My ISP has both Windows 2000 and Unix,
            and the Unix option is cheaper and has more options.

            It looks the same from uploading and downloading files.

            Larry

            > There is a lot offered for Unix, but since I know absolutely nothing about
            > it, I went with NT.
            > Christine.
          • Don Passenger
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 6, 2002
              just make your letters, one per graphic
              then make clips to insert each letter
              because the letters will be cached, it should load quickly

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 6, 2002
                j'know, Don.
                You make things sound so easy! <LOL> I could "borrow" them right off Ian's
                page, or hmmmm. Who knows!
                It might be the way to go. And for some of the repeated words, I could just
                make the darned whole thing. I think with the CSS, I can get them to the
                same pt each time, can't I?

                But you know, it really shouldn't be this hard!
                "Should" is a good word, isn't it?

                Any good tutorials you know of on CSS and tables? I can't seem to get my
                borders to show (the graph part of this Index I'm working on) although I
                keep playing with the CSS1 and CSS2 libraries that others have posted. I'm
                going to play a little more with it today.

                I'm thrilled with the CSS and the SSI stuff. I should have looked into it
                long before now!

                Thanks,
                Christine

                because the letters will be cached, it should load quickly

                --
                Don Passenger
              • Ian Rastall
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 6, 2002
                  On Thu, 06 Jun 2002 12:18:34 -0400, you wrote:

                  >Any good tutorials you know of on CSS and tables? I can't seem to get my
                  >borders to show (the graph part of this Index I'm working on) although I
                  >keep playing with the CSS1 and CSS2 libraries that others have posted.

                  Here's the best reference for CSS:

                  http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_reference.asp

                  Ian
                  --
                  That's just my Buzzian theory. (Buzz Ruppelt)

                  http://www.aspipes.org/