Special Characters: Sanskrit! and other wishes.

  • Christine F. Muehling
    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 4, 2002
      Just wanted you to know that although I'm getting NOWHERE with the Sanskrit
      special characters, I'm LOVING the CSS!
      I'm going to be working to fine tune this for the entire site. What a
      blessing!

      Now.... any one know how to create oh, say, a block of information in one
      file, like the credits links or stuff like that. Then to simply add a code
      reference into the 100s of other pages so I don't have to reenter it on all
      of them? I could update that one block of text and it would automatically
      show on the subsequent pages? Am I dreaming?

      Thanks!

      Christine

      Message 2 of 24 , Jun 4, 2002
        Hi Christine,
        There are ways and ways and ways. . .
        One way: use server side includes. This is very good if your webHost supports
        it. (I am not an expert but ther are lots of them on the list.) What this
        would do is to include other documents into the html page.
        Another way is to use the iframe html element which works for Netscape 5+ and
        IE 5+ and Opera 5+, Netscape 4 (with lots of users) would use its proprietary
        layer (or ilayer) element.
        Modern browsers (with varying degrees of success) also can use another
        document for the source of a div, or use another document for the source of
        an object element.
        I have ended up using a externalJavascript file and the document.write
        statement to insert easily editable stuff into a wide variety of pages. This
        works well for a lot of short discrete statements, but would not be any fun
        at all for large blocks of text. (eMail me private if you'd like to look at
        the site I use this for, and specifics on how I do it.)
        Good luck,
        Stephen
        > Now.... any one know how to create oh, say, a block of information in one
        > file, like the credits links or stuff like that. Then to simply add a code
        > reference into the 100s of other pages so I don't have to reenter it on all
        > of them? I could update that one block of text and it would automatically
        > show on the subsequent pages? Am I dreaming?
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Christine

      • Ian Rastall
        Message 3 of 24 , Jun 5, 2002
          On Tue, 04 Jun 2002 17:16:58 -0400, you wrote:

          >Just wanted you to know that although I'm getting NOWHERE with the Sanskrit
          >special characters

          Hi Christine. Here's something I just wrote to test out the sanskrit
          stuff at (http://www.fsnow.com/pali/fonts/roman-table/) :

          <head>
          <title>Unicode Sanskrit Stuff</title>
          ū Ḍ ḍ Ḥ ḥ Ḷ ḷ Ṃ ṃ
          Ṅ ṅ Ṇ ṇ Ṛ ṛ Ṣ ṣ
          Ṭ ṭ</p>

          All the numbers between 200 and 400 worked, and all the numbers
          between 7000 and 8000 didn't work. I'm using Win 2000, IE 5.0.

          Don't know what else to say. You might want to investigate "embedded
          fonts". That would be the first place I'd look.

          >Now.... any one know how to create oh, say, a block of information in one
          >file, like the credits links or stuff like that. Then to simply add a code
          >reference into the 100s of other pages so I don't have to reenter it on all
          >of them?

          The simplest way is to use SSI (Server Side Includes). You have to
          find out if your ISP allows it, though most do.

          Take the part of your file you want to appear in all files, and remove
          it, putting it on its own as a text file. Name the file, say, foo.txt.

          Then in its place, on all pages, write:

          <!--#include file="foo.txt" -->

          or, if it's in a directory different than the file,

          <!--#include virtual "../foo.txt" -->

          or

          <!--#include virtual "bar/foo.txt" -->

          or whatever. There are other includes, but those are the two basic
          ones.

          Once you decide to use includes, you have to change your .html
          extensions to .shtml

          Some ISP's will let you keep your .html extension by changing the
          htacess doohickey in your web folder, but ask them about that.
          Basically, you have to test to see if you have SSI on your server. Try
          doing one, with an .shtml extension. If it doesn't work, write to
          them. Ask them if they allow Server Side Includes.

          HTH
          Ian
          --
          If you're smoking Barbary Coast, you're already smoking well.
          But if you're smoking Borkum Riff or something like gooseberry-Oreo-creme,

          http://www.aspipes.org/
        • Wright, John - Textron Financial
          Message 4 of 24 , Jun 5, 2002
            Stephen,

            I, too, am looking for a ISP/browser independent method of including the
            same code in multiple web pages. I would be interested in seeing an example
            of your "externalJavascript file and the document.write statement" method.

            One way: use server side includes. This is very good if your webHost
            supports
            it. (I am not an expert but ther are lots of them on the list.) What this

            would do is to include other documents into the html page.
            Another way is to use the iframe html element which works for Netscape 5+
            and
            IE 5+ and Opera 5+, Netscape 4 (with lots of users) would use its
            proprietary
            layer (or ilayer) element.
            Modern browsers (with varying degrees of success) also can use another
            document for the source of a div, or use another document for the source of
            an object element.
            I have ended up using a externalJavascript file and the document.write
            statement to insert easily editable stuff into a wide variety of pages. This

            works well for a lot of short discrete statements, but would not be any fun
            at all for large blocks of text. (eMail me private if you'd like to look at
            the site I use this for, and specifics on how I do it.)
            Good luck,
            Stephen
            > Now.... any one know how to create oh, say, a block of information in one
            > file, like the credits links or stuff like that. Then to simply add a
            code
            > reference into the 100s of other pages so I don't have to reenter it on
            all
            > of them? I could update that one block of text and it would automatically
            > show on the subsequent pages? Am I dreaming?
            >
            > Thanks!
            >
            > Christine

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
          • Don Passenger
            Message 5 of 24 , Jun 5, 2002
              A page might look like this:
              <head>
              <title>*** External JavaScript Footer ***</title>
              </head>

              <h3>How to Get a Boiler Plate Footer</h3>

              <script language="JavaScript">
              document.write('<script language="JavaScript" src="temp.js"><\/SCRIPT>');
              </script>
              <script language="JavaScript">
              printMessage();
              </script>

              --
              Don Passenger
              mailto:dpasseng@...
              Message 6 of 24 , Jun 5, 2002
                Your External JS file might look like this:
                function printMessage() {
                document.write ("Hey this footer will appear");
                }

                Message 7 of 24 , Jun 5, 2002
                  I tried your code, but only got the first 10 characters, then they become
                  boxes. <sigh>
                  I've looked at your page before, which is where I got the codes I've been
                  testing.
                  I tried the Unicode format on all of the alpha/numeric codes (x.....;)
                  but got nice squares, the x, then the alpha/numeric code and a final
                  semicolon.

                  I got the hang of SSI right away. I will be changing my pages to shtml with
                  a bunch of redirect scripts. <sigh> But what the heck, right!?

                  Thanks for trying to help, Ian. This is a toughie.

                  Christine

                  Message 8 of 24 , Jun 5, 2002
                    On Wed, 05 Jun 2002 22:54:19 -0400, you wrote:

                    >I tried your code, but only got the first 10 characters, then they become
                    >boxes. <sigh>

                    I got the boxes too. This really goes beyond my level. Perhaps if you
                    did something with embedded fonts, that might work. Never tried them
                    myself, but as far as I know, they're font packages that you attach to
                    your HTML, which the user downloads the first time they view the page.
                    Here's a few links:

                    http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/98/01/index3a.html?tw=design

                    http://builder.cnet.com/webbuilding/pages/Authoring/Typography/ss01.html

                    http://www.devshed.com/Client_Side/DHTML/EmbeddedFonts/page1.html

                    HTH
                    Ian

                    Message 9 of 24 , Jun 6, 2002
                      I was going to ask more about embedded fonts. I know what they are in a
                      regular document...

                      I was considering making graphics of the words, but my page alone has 100s
                      of Sanskrit words on it. I have other priorities with this site. But it
                      does disappoint me! The darned letters I need the most (h, n, and m
                      under/overdot) are the ones I can't find or make work.

                      I'll experiment with the embedded fonts and keep you posted!
                      Thanks for helping, Ian! (everyone!)

                      Christine

                      Message 10 of 24 , Jun 6, 2002
                        You're kidding..
                        Between your two messages to the list it seems you've taken much of the
                        mystery out of it!

                        I'm going to give this a shot, too.
                        Are there advantages of using this over the simple SSI text files?

                        Christine

                        Message 11 of 24 , Jun 6, 2002
                          The advantages of using javascript for boilerplate insertion are:
                          1. that it works if you don't have ssi/php/asp/etc as a alternative
                          2. you can preview it on your own machine (vs the others which need to be
                          parsed on the server)

                          The disadvantage are:
                          1. that if javascript is disabled (which it generally isn't -- but with
                          pop-up's some disable it) you don't get the boilerplate
                          2. its a programming language thing that might be more confusing than a
                          simple include

                          --
                          Don Passenger
                          mailto:dpasseng@...
                          home: http://www.iserv.net/~dpasseng
                          work: http://www.grcourt.org
                          > Between your two messages to the list it seems you've taken much of the
                          > mystery out of it!
                          >
                          > I'm going to give this a shot, too.
                          > Are there advantages of using this over the simple SSI text files?
                          >
                          > Christine

                        • Ian Rastall
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jun 6, 2002
                            On Thu, 6 Jun 2002 12:30:16 -0400, you wrote:

                            >The advantages of using javascript for boilerplate insertion are:
                            >1. that it works if you don't have ssi/php/asp/etc as a alternative
                            >2. you can preview it on your own machine (vs the others which need to be
                            >parsed on the server)
                            >
                            >The disadvantage are:
                            >1. that if javascript is disabled (which it generally isn't -- but with
                            >pop-up's some disable it) you don't get the boilerplate
                            >2. its a programming language thing that might be more confusing than a
                            >simple include

                            I agree about the disadvantage. The thing about anything server-side,
                            is that you know up front if you can use it. For instance, if your
                            server allows PHP, then you know you can use PHP, and all your users
                            will be able to see it. Same with SSI. As long as SSI is allowed on
                            your server, it will always work for every user. Not everyone uses JS
                            (although it's not as much of an issue as it used to be).

                            I don't think it's a JS vs. SSI thing, I think it's a client-side vs.
                            server-side thing, and I would tend more towards server-side (if I
                            knew any bloody server-side languages.) :)

                            Ian
                            --
                            That's just my Buzzian theory. (Buzz Ruppelt)

                            http://www.aspipes.org/