Special Characters: Sanskrit!

  • Christine
    Message 1 of 24 , May 30, 2002
      Does anyone know where I can find the HTML coding for these?
      I would even settle for a Character Set so I could create documents, then
      upload images of them, but I'd prefer to use the HTML codes.

      I know someone was working hard on character clips. Did it happen to
      include Sanskrit?

      Thanks,
      Christine

    • Ian Rastall
      Message 2 of 24 , May 30, 2002
        On Thu, 30 May 2002 13:12:59 -0400, you wrote:

        >Does anyone know where I can find the HTML coding for these?
        >I would even settle for a Character Set so I could create documents, then
        >upload images of them, but I'd prefer to use the HTML codes.

        Christine, I don't know if this helps or not, but here's a few web
        pages that talk about Sanskrit in Unicode:

        http://www.fsnow.com/pali/fonts/roman-table/

        http://www.bauhahnm.clara.net/Khmer/Welcome.html

        http://www.nitartha.org/diacritics_how_to.html

        http://www.chofukuji.jp/takaragi/Font.htm

        I guess you're asking about clip libraries, but there it is anyway. In
        case you don't know this, when you use Unicode, you should declare in
        your <meta> tags that you're using UTF-8 encoding, like so:

        Ian
        --
        Mixture Mild in a Bjarne...wait, wait,
        I ain't got a Bjarne. The bjarne's where

        http://www.aspipes.org/
      • Christine F. Muehling
        Message 3 of 24 , May 31, 2002
          Thanks Don & Ian.
          I'll check those sites out. Obviously, if they use Sanskrit, I can steal
          the code! <LOL>
          I have a site that's turning out to fill an unusual niche online, and having
          Sanskrit characters would polish it quite a bit. Wanna see? If anything,
          the pictures will boggle most western minds. <G>
          Http://www.YogaDancer.com/Asanas. It's also the site for which I need to
          teach myself CSS...

          Christine
        • Christine F. Muehling
          Message 4 of 24 , May 31, 2002
            Ian and Don --

            What a fascinating sites.

            Did you know the Tibetan language has not changed in over 1000 years, unlike
            other languages that have "morphed" with the times? It's also visually
            beautiful. This is a GREAT resource site.

            Ian - thanks for the tip about the meta tag. Does that influence the fact
            that much of it will be in English, other than this Index I'm creating?

            I just realized I have a small problem. I don't know how to use Unicode!
            Then how to make it into an HTML special character. I thought I'd just be
            able to check the source code on these pages, but they're actually .gifs of
            the letters! I'm sure I can figure it out. I'll keep trying.

            Once I find these characters, I'll create my own clip book. It's just
            finding them! :)

            You guys are such resources. As always,
            Thanks.

            Christine
          • Ian Rastall
            Message 5 of 24 , May 31, 2002
              On Fri, 31 May 2002 11:21:14 -0400, you wrote:

              >Ian - thanks for the tip about the meta tag. Does that influence the fact
              >that much of it will be in English, other than this Index I'm creating?

              Not at all. Every regular character is already in Unicode. By stating
              that you're using Unicode, you allow for extra characters.

              >I just realized I have a small problem. I don't know how to use Unicode!

              When you're writing out your HTML, any time you need to put in a
              special character, just use a character entity. Like so:

              just made up: ჋.</p>

              The character entity goes right where the character goes. If you were
              using character entities that were text, you wouldn't use the # sign.
              So, to say "mdash", I *think* you would type — and to say the
              same thing in Unicode, you would type — The browser knows you're
              using a character entity because of the & sign. It knows the entity is
              over with the semicolon. (This is a good reason to turn all regular &
              signs into & which is the same thing).

              The character set encoding that people usually use is Latin-1, which
              goes up to, I think, 255. So an mdash in Latin-1 would be something
              inbetween, like ð (I don't actually know what it is). Every
              Latin-1 character has a number. It's only big enough to represent the
              characters for English, and some Western European languages.

              Unicode is designed to be big enough to include any character used in
              any language. It has something like, uh, I don't even know. A *lot* of
              numbers. The mdash in Unicode is — Type that in whenever you
              need to use a dash. But make sure you've used that <meta> tag to state
              that you're using Unicode, or you could find problems, especially with
              Linux browsers, which seem to dislike it when you don't state
              explicitly what you're using.

              So you don't need to do anything with those graphics. The graphics are
              part of a table. They're just showing you what it looks like. If you
              look along the table, you'll see the Unicode number. Just put that
              number inbetween an & sign, followed by a # sign, then the number,
              then a semicolon. Put it wherever you need to put the character.

              Sorry if I talked down to you at all. Hope this cleared things up.

              Ian

              Message 6 of 24 , May 31, 2002
                <LOL>
                The light began as the dim bulb and became a clear, blinding spotlight. I
                didn't realize these special character codes were constructed in that
                manner. This would have helped me in a gudzillion ways. Which you've now
                done.

                I am so excited about this. Boy, it doesn't take much, does it? <sigh --
                but one of contentment>

                Is there every enough time to do what you want in life?
                I am absolutely lots in this w3.org document. I thought I'd read through it
                before, but either I know more now and can apply it, or it's all new.

                Thanks for taking the time to explain the Unicode. I thought it was some
                big secret and was embarrassed to ask!
                Christine
              • Albert (athiel)
                Message 7 of 24 , May 31, 2002
                  Not sure that the Sanskrit alphabet is in the unicode characters but try
                  numbers in the 3000 range e.g. ௫ and numbers in that range and
                  determine whether those are Sanskrit or Pali not sure as I would not
                  recognize them

                  BTW an m dash is also —

                  Albert

                  On Fri, 31 May 2002 11:21:14 -0400, you wrote:

                  >Ian - thanks for the tip about the meta tag. Does that influence the
                  >fact that much of it will be in English, other than this Index I'm
                  >creating?

                  Not at all. Every regular character is already in Unicode. By stating
                  that you're using Unicode, you allow for extra characters.

                  >I just realized I have a small problem. I don't know how to use
                  >Unicode!

                  When you're writing out your HTML, any time you need to put in a special
                  character, just use a character entity. Like so:

                  made up: ჋.</p>

                  The character entity goes right where the character goes. If you were
                  using character entities that were text, you wouldn't use the # sign.
                  So, to say "mdash", I *think* you would type — and to say the same
                  thing in Unicode, you would type — The browser knows you're using
                  a character entity because of the & sign. It knows the entity is over
                  with the semicolon. (This is a good reason to turn all regular & signs
                  into & which is the same thing).

                  The character set encoding that people usually use is Latin-1, which
                  goes up to, I think, 255. So an mdash in Latin-1 would be something
                  inbetween, like ð (I don't actually know what it is). Every Latin-1
                  character has a number. It's only big enough to represent the characters
                  for English, and some Western European languages.

                  Unicode is designed to be big enough to include any character used in
                  any language. It has something like, uh, I don't even know. A *lot* of
                  numbers. The mdash in Unicode is — Type that in whenever you need
                  to use a dash. But make sure you've used that <meta> tag to state that
                  you're using Unicode, or you could find problems, especially with Linux
                  browsers, which seem to dislike it when you don't state explicitly what
                  you're using.

                  So you don't need to do anything with those graphics. The graphics are
                  part of a table. They're just showing you what it looks like. If you
                  look along the table, you'll see the Unicode number. Just put that
                  number inbetween an & sign, followed by a # sign, then the number, then
                  a semicolon. Put it wherever you need to put the character.

                  Sorry if I talked down to you at all. Hope this cleared things up.

                  Ian
                  --
                  Mixture Mild in a Bjarne...wait, wait,
                  I ain't got a Bjarne. The bjarne's where
                  I keep my gjoats. (Kendal)

                  http://www.aspipes.org/

                  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                • Albert (athiel)
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 31, 2002
                    You can go to the following URL and find many links to Sanskrit pages,
                    characters, texts, even a font

                    www.google.com and type in Sanskrit characters as the search criteria

                    The results will please you I think

                    Albert

                    Message 9 of 24 , May 31, 2002
                      Well.
                      I'm kind of bumming.
                      The Unicode group is clearly in the Windows Character Map. (Surprised me.)
                      By using the codes on http://www.fsnow.com/pali/fonts/roman-table/, I can
                      find the characters I need!
                      However, for example, an A with a Macron on top is 0100. But if I put in
                      d I get the letter "d." If I add &0100;, I simply get &0100;xxxx.

                      Any advice? (I'm searching and reading as I am writing.
                      Ian, I did add that Meta Tag to my page, too, just to be on the safe side!
                      :)

                      TIA!

                      Christine
                    • Christine F. Muehling
                      Message 10 of 24 , May 31, 2002
                        Well.
                        I'm stumped.
                        I've installed every Unicode set I can find. I've installed every font that
                        supposedly handles Sanskrit letters I can find (27 at last count).
                        No matter how I set up the Unicode numbers they don't work. I have had some
                        luck where the Unicode didn't give me the letter it said it was, but it did
                        give me something else I needed!

                        Most of them default to an ASCII number (Alt+xxxx) or are just squares.
                        Some of them offer me ASCII numbers that although I'm looking at a D with an
                        underdot, the ASCII code it offers (and the description at the bottom) is
                        that of another character.

                        <sigh>
                        Kill me -- or any thoughts first?

                        Christine
                      • Ian Rastall
                        Message 11 of 24 , May 31, 2002
                          On Fri, 31 May 2002 15:00:22 -0400, you wrote:

                          >By using the codes on http://www.fsnow.com/pali/fonts/roman-table/, I can
                          >find the characters I need!
                          >However, for example, an A with a Macron on top is 0100. But if I put in
                          >d I get the letter "d."

                          There are two different Unicode numbers on that chart. The first is in
                          hexidecimal, and the second is in decimal. You want the one that's in
                          decimal. So the A with a macron would be Ā

                          HTH
                          Ian

                          Message 12 of 24 , Jun 1 1:33 AM
                            Christine,

                            I suspect that the reason is that you are using the Western collation in
                            the browser so that regular English text comes out normally but that
                            does not let the Sanskrit or Pali characters appear the way they should.

                            You could try using CSS and create Divisions or Spans in which you use
                            the Sanskrit and define that Span or Div as using whatever the ISO
                            number is for the font you are using and set the Div and or spans for
                            the English to ISO Western European. I am not sure that it will work but
                            with CSS so much can be done that it is worth a try I think.

                            Good books on CSS can be found at Barnes or Borders, or some other large
                            store. I use Core CSS2.

                            The alternative is to make your characters gifs or bmp's or images and
                            then just place them on the page as img's

                            FWIW

                            Albert

                            Message 13 of 24 , Jun 4 2:16 PM
                              Just wanted you to know that although I'm getting NOWHERE with the Sanskrit
                              special characters, I'm LOVING the CSS!
                              I'm going to be working to fine tune this for the entire site. What a
                              blessing!

                              Now.... any one know how to create oh, say, a block of information in one
                              file, like the credits links or stuff like that. Then to simply add a code
                              reference into the 100s of other pages so I don't have to reenter it on all
                              of them? I could update that one block of text and it would automatically
                              show on the subsequent pages? Am I dreaming?

                              Message 14 of 24 , Jun 4 9:26 PM
                                Hi Christine,
                                There are ways and ways and ways. . .
                                One way: use server side includes. This is very good if your webHost supports
                                it. (I am not an expert but ther are lots of them on the list.) What this
                                would do is to include other documents into the html page.
                                Another way is to use the iframe html element which works for Netscape 5+ and
                                IE 5+ and Opera 5+, Netscape 4 (with lots of users) would use its proprietary
                                layer (or ilayer) element.
                                Modern browsers (with varying degrees of success) also can use another
                                document for the source of a div, or use another document for the source of
                                an object element.
                                I have ended up using a externalJavascript file and the document.write
                                statement to insert easily editable stuff into a wide variety of pages. This
                                works well for a lot of short discrete statements, but would not be any fun
                                at all for large blocks of text. (eMail me private if you'd like to look at
                                the site I use this for, and specifics on how I do it.)
                                Good luck,
                                Stephen
                                > Now.... any one know how to create oh, say, a block of information in one
                                > file, like the credits links or stuff like that. Then to simply add a code
                                > reference into the 100s of other pages so I don't have to reenter it on all
                                > of them? I could update that one block of text and it would automatically
                                > show on the subsequent pages? Am I dreaming?
                                >
                                > Thanks!
                                >
                                > Christine

                              • Ian Rastall
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jun 5 12:31 AM
                                  On Tue, 04 Jun 2002 17:16:58 -0400, you wrote:

                                  >Just wanted you to know that although I'm getting NOWHERE with the Sanskrit
                                  >special characters

                                  Hi Christine. Here's something I just wrote to test out the sanskrit
                                  stuff at (http://www.fsnow.com/pali/fonts/roman-table/) :

                                  <head>
                                  <title>Unicode Sanskrit Stuff</title>
                                  ū Ḍ ḍ Ḥ ḥ Ḷ ḷ Ṃ ṃ
                                  Ṅ ṅ Ṇ ṇ Ṛ ṛ Ṣ ṣ
                                  Ṭ ṭ</p>

                                  All the numbers between 200 and 400 worked, and all the numbers
                                  between 7000 and 8000 didn't work. I'm using Win 2000, IE 5.0.

                                  Don't know what else to say. You might want to investigate "embedded
                                  fonts". That would be the first place I'd look.

                                  >Now.... any one know how to create oh, say, a block of information in one
                                  >file, like the credits links or stuff like that. Then to simply add a code
                                  >reference into the 100s of other pages so I don't have to reenter it on all
                                  >of them?

                                  The simplest way is to use SSI (Server Side Includes). You have to
                                  find out if your ISP allows it, though most do.

                                  Take the part of your file you want to appear in all files, and remove
                                  it, putting it on its own as a text file. Name the file, say, foo.txt.

                                  Then in its place, on all pages, write:

                                  <!--#include file="foo.txt" -->

                                  or, if it's in a directory different than the file,

                                  <!--#include virtual "../foo.txt" -->

                                  or

                                  <!--#include virtual "bar/foo.txt" -->

                                  or whatever. There are other includes, but those are the two basic
                                  ones.

                                  Once you decide to use includes, you have to change your .html
                                  extensions to .shtml

                                  Some ISP's will let you keep your .html extension by changing the
                                  htacess doohickey in your web folder, but ask them about that.
                                  Basically, you have to test to see if you have SSI on your server. Try
                                  doing one, with an .shtml extension. If it doesn't work, write to
                                  them. Ask them if they allow Server Side Includes.

                                  HTH
                                  Ian
                                  --
                                  If you're smoking Barbary Coast, you're already smoking well.
                                  But if you're smoking Borkum Riff or something like gooseberry-Oreo-creme,

                                  http://www.aspipes.org/
                                • Wright, John - Textron Financial
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jun 5 4:31 AM
                                    Stephen,

                                    I, too, am looking for a ISP/browser independent method of including the
                                    same code in multiple web pages. I would be interested in seeing an example
                                    of your "externalJavascript file and the document.write statement" method.

                                    One way: use server side includes. This is very good if your webHost
                                    supports
                                    it. (I am not an expert but ther are lots of them on the list.) What this

                                    would do is to include other documents into the html page.
                                    Another way is to use the iframe html element which works for Netscape 5+
                                    and
                                    IE 5+ and Opera 5+, Netscape 4 (with lots of users) would use its
                                    proprietary
                                    layer (or ilayer) element.
                                    Modern browsers (with varying degrees of success) also can use another
                                    document for the source of a div, or use another document for the source of
                                    an object element.
                                    I have ended up using a externalJavascript file and the document.write
                                    statement to insert easily editable stuff into a wide variety of pages. This

                                    works well for a lot of short discrete statements, but would not be any fun
                                    at all for large blocks of text. (eMail me private if you'd like to look at
                                    the site I use this for, and specifics on how I do it.)
                                    Good luck,
                                    Stephen
                                    > Now.... any one know how to create oh, say, a block of information in one
                                    > file, like the credits links or stuff like that. Then to simply add a
                                    code
                                    > reference into the 100s of other pages so I don't have to reenter it on
                                    all
                                    > of them? I could update that one block of text and it would automatically
                                    > show on the subsequent pages? Am I dreaming?
                                    >
                                    > Thanks!
                                    >
                                    > Christine

                                    <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                                  • Don Passenger
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jun 5 6:32 AM
                                      A page might look like this:
                                      <head>
                                      <title>*** External JavaScript Footer ***</title>
                                      </head>

                                      <h3>How to Get a Boiler Plate Footer</h3>

                                      <script language="JavaScript">
                                      document.write('<script language="JavaScript" src="temp.js"><\/SCRIPT>');
                                      </script>
                                      <script language="JavaScript">
                                      printMessage();
                                      </script>

                                      --
                                      Don Passenger
                                      mailto:dpasseng@...
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jun 5 6:32 AM
                                        Your External JS file might look like this:
                                        function printMessage() {
                                        document.write ("Hey this footer will appear");
                                        }

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jun 5 7:54 PM
                                          I tried your code, but only got the first 10 characters, then they become
                                          boxes. <sigh>
                                          I've looked at your page before, which is where I got the codes I've been
                                          testing.
                                          I tried the Unicode format on all of the alpha/numeric codes (x.....;)
                                          but got nice squares, the x, then the alpha/numeric code and a final
                                          semicolon.

                                          I got the hang of SSI right away. I will be changing my pages to shtml with
                                          a bunch of redirect scripts. <sigh> But what the heck, right!?

                                          Thanks for trying to help, Ian. This is a toughie.

                                          Christine

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jun 5 9:04 PM
                                            On Wed, 05 Jun 2002 22:54:19 -0400, you wrote:

                                            >I tried your code, but only got the first 10 characters, then they become
                                            >boxes. <sigh>

                                            I got the boxes too. This really goes beyond my level. Perhaps if you
                                            did something with embedded fonts, that might work. Never tried them
                                            myself, but as far as I know, they're font packages that you attach to
                                            your HTML, which the user downloads the first time they view the page.
                                            Here's a few links:

                                            http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/98/01/index3a.html?tw=design

                                            http://builder.cnet.com/webbuilding/pages/Authoring/Typography/ss01.html

                                            http://www.devshed.com/Client_Side/DHTML/EmbeddedFonts/page1.html

                                            HTH
                                            Ian

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jun 6 6:00 AM
                                              I was going to ask more about embedded fonts. I know what they are in a
                                              regular document...

                                              I was considering making graphics of the words, but my page alone has 100s
                                              of Sanskrit words on it. I have other priorities with this site. But it
                                              does disappoint me! The darned letters I need the most (h, n, and m
                                              under/overdot) are the ones I can't find or make work.

                                              I'll experiment with the embedded fonts and keep you posted!
                                              Thanks for helping, Ian! (everyone!)

                                              Christine

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Jun 6 9:18 AM
                                                You're kidding..
                                                Between your two messages to the list it seems you've taken much of the
                                                mystery out of it!

                                                I'm going to give this a shot, too.
                                                Are there advantages of using this over the simple SSI text files?

                                                Christine

                                                Message 23 of 24 , Jun 6 9:30 AM
                                                  The advantages of using javascript for boilerplate insertion are:
                                                  1. that it works if you don't have ssi/php/asp/etc as a alternative
                                                  2. you can preview it on your own machine (vs the others which need to be
                                                  parsed on the server)

                                                  The disadvantage are:
                                                  1. that if javascript is disabled (which it generally isn't -- but with
                                                  pop-up's some disable it) you don't get the boilerplate
                                                  2. its a programming language thing that might be more confusing than a
                                                  simple include

                                                  --
                                                  Don Passenger
                                                  mailto:dpasseng@...
                                                  home: http://www.iserv.net/~dpasseng
                                                  work: http://www.grcourt.org
                                                  > Between your two messages to the list it seems you've taken much of the
                                                  > mystery out of it!
                                                  >
                                                  > I'm going to give this a shot, too.
                                                  > Are there advantages of using this over the simple SSI text files?
                                                  >
                                                  > Christine

                                                • Ian Rastall
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Jun 6 4:20 PM
                                                    On Thu, 6 Jun 2002 12:30:16 -0400, you wrote:

                                                    >The advantages of using javascript for boilerplate insertion are:
                                                    >1. that it works if you don't have ssi/php/asp/etc as a alternative
                                                    >2. you can preview it on your own machine (vs the others which need to be
                                                    >parsed on the server)
                                                    >
                                                    >The disadvantage are:
                                                    >1. that if javascript is disabled (which it generally isn't -- but with
                                                    >pop-up's some disable it) you don't get the boilerplate
                                                    >2. its a programming language thing that might be more confusing than a
                                                    >simple include

                                                    I agree about the disadvantage. The thing about anything server-side,
                                                    is that you know up front if you can use it. For instance, if your
                                                    server allows PHP, then you know you can use PHP, and all your users
                                                    will be able to see it. Same with SSI. As long as SSI is allowed on
                                                    your server, it will always work for every user. Not everyone uses JS
                                                    (although it's not as much of an issue as it used to be).

                                                    I don't think it's a JS vs. SSI thing, I think it's a client-side vs.
                                                    server-side thing, and I would tend more towards server-side (if I
                                                    knew any bloody server-side languages.) :)

                                                    Ian
                                                    --
                                                    That's just my Buzzian theory. (Buzz Ruppelt)

                                                    http://www.aspipes.org/