Re: [NH] Funky XHTML Problem

  • Ed Brown
    Message 1 of 11 , May 25, 2002
      OK, so what is a DTD??

      I don't remember, but I think there are (older?) browsers that don't
      display the document at all if the XML processing instruction is included.
      Some render the line on the page instead of dealing with it. As said, IE6
      goes into Quirks Mode if the very first line isn't a DTD. A rather big
      large payload. Boo-boo dumb browsers!

    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 11 , May 25, 2002
        Ed:

        I didn't know either.

        Try:
        http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?String=exact&Ac
        ronym=DTD&Find=Find

        "DTD Document Type Definition (markup languages) "

        Acronymfinder is permanently on my links bar - very
        useful!

        Regards ... Alec

        Message 3 of 11 , May 25, 2002
          Hi all,
          DTD is the Document Type Definition.
          It should only be necessary when a document claims to be XML of some kind or
          other.
          Browsers are s u p p o s e d to revert to html 3 or 4 if the DTD is missing.

          (Surely Microsoft would not have a problem with that?)

          >Nope, only under the below circumstances.

          #*&%(*%^__%)( They lied to me (w3c folks). AGAIN!

          The only really old browser I have is Netscape 2. It displays the prologue
          as if it was text. (I believe Lynx is ok with it though.)

          Take care,
        • Ian Rastall
          Message 4 of 11 , May 25, 2002
            On Sat, 25 May 2002 11:12:03 -0500, you wrote:

            >OK, so what is a DTD??

            Ed, I think there's two levels to knowing what a DTD is. The first
            level, where I'm at, is just knowing that it's the Document Type
            Declaration that goes at the beginning of your document. If you go to
            the W3C, you should be able to find a DTD for any flavor of HTML,
            including HTML 4, 4.01, XHTML 1.0, 1.1, etc. Just copy and paste. HTML
            Tidy (which no human should be without) also puts in a DTD for you. It
            goes before the <html> tag, at the top of your document.

            The other "level" to knowing DTD's is knowing how to write them, and
            that involves actually going through some kind of online tutorial that
            shows you what all of it means, how to write it, how to make use of
            it, etc. I've never tried learning, though it doesn't look like it
            would take too long. It may be tied up with other things, like XML or
            the Document Object Model, or who knows, so I'm a little leary of
            checking it out.

            Ian
            --
            We must "pull" the smoke gently from the bowl,
            while allowing the gentle breeze of air to

            http://www.aspipes.org/
          • Ian Rastall
            Message 5 of 11 , May 25, 2002
              On Sat, 25 May 2002 21:56:06 -0400, you wrote:

              >Ed, I think there's two levels to knowing what a DTD is. The first
              >level, where I'm at, is just knowing that it's the Document Type
              >Declaration

              Sorry, that should be "Definition"

              Ian