Re: [NH] Funky XHTML Problem

    Message 1 of 11 , May 25, 2002
      Hi Stephen,

      >This did not seem right to me, so I went to the good old W3C to check it out.
      >It is true the prologue in not needed for the document to be well-formed, but
      >it is needed for it to be valid:

      Nope, only under the below circumstances.

      ---------------
      http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#docconf
      Note that in this example, the XML declaration is included. An XML
      declaration like the one above is not required in all XML documents. XHTML
      document authors are strongly encouraged to use XML declarations in all
      their documents. Such a declaration is required when the character encoding
      of the document is other than the default UTF-8 or UTF-16.
      --------------

      I don't remember, but I think there are (older?) browsers that don't
      display the document at all if the XML processing instruction is included.
      Some render the line on the page instead of dealing with it. As said, IE6
      goes into Quirks Mode if the very first line isn't a DTD. A rather big
      large payload. Boo-boo dumb browsers!

      Lotta
    • Ed Brown

        Message 3 of 11 , May 25, 2002
          Ed:

          I didn't know either.

          Try:
          http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?String=exact&Ac
          ronym=DTD&Find=Find

          "DTD Document Type Definition (markup languages) "

          Acronymfinder is permanently on my links bar - very
          useful!

          Regards ... Alec

          Message 4 of 11 , May 25, 2002
            Hi all,
            DTD is the Document Type Definition.
            It should only be necessary when a document claims to be XML of some kind or
            other.
            Browsers are s u p p o s e d to revert to html 3 or 4 if the DTD is missing.

            (Surely Microsoft would not have a problem with that?)

            >Nope, only under the below circumstances.

            #*&%(*%^__%)( They lied to me (w3c folks). AGAIN!

            The only really old browser I have is Netscape 2. It displays the prologue
            as if it was text. (I believe Lynx is ok with it though.)

            Take care,
          • Ian Rastall
            Message 5 of 11 , May 25, 2002
              On Sat, 25 May 2002 11:12:03 -0500, you wrote:

              >OK, so what is a DTD??

              Ed, I think there's two levels to knowing what a DTD is. The first
              level, where I'm at, is just knowing that it's the Document Type
              Declaration that goes at the beginning of your document. If you go to
              the W3C, you should be able to find a DTD for any flavor of HTML,
              including HTML 4, 4.01, XHTML 1.0, 1.1, etc. Just copy and paste. HTML
              Tidy (which no human should be without) also puts in a DTD for you. It
              goes before the <html> tag, at the top of your document.

              The other "level" to knowing DTD's is knowing how to write them, and
              that involves actually going through some kind of online tutorial that
              shows you what all of it means, how to write it, how to make use of
              it, etc. I've never tried learning, though it doesn't look like it
              would take too long. It may be tied up with other things, like XML or
              the Document Object Model, or who knows, so I'm a little leary of
              checking it out.

              Ian
              --
              We must "pull" the smoke gently from the bowl,
              while allowing the gentle breeze of air to

              http://www.aspipes.org/
            • Ian Rastall
              Message 6 of 11 , May 25, 2002
                On Sat, 25 May 2002 21:56:06 -0400, you wrote:

                >Ed, I think there's two levels to knowing what a DTD is. The first
                >level, where I'm at, is just knowing that it's the Document Type
                >Declaration

                Sorry, that should be "Definition"

                Ian