Re: [NH] customizable syntax highlighting features

  • Ian Rastall
    Message 1 of 12 , May 25, 2002
      On Sat, 25 May 2002 13:37:55 +0200, you wrote:

      >Forgive me for what am about to say, but I just downloaded a trial version
      >of EditPlus because of this. Reason is that I know someone wrote a brand new
      >MX Actionscript syntax file for this thing. To try, I downloaded the syntax
      >file, dropped it into this thing's folder and done! In my humble opinion I
      >think Notetab Pro could use something similar too. Is that possible?

      Whatever they do, I hope they fix the syntax highlighting bug that
      inadvertantly highlights all the text to the bottom of the page, even
      when the closing tags are typed in.

      Big fan of syntax highlighting myself, and I know they're adding it in
      for Perl, so hopefully it'll support a lot of languages in v5.

      Ian
      --
      We must "pull" the smoke gently from the bowl,
      while allowing the gentle breeze of air to

      http://www.aspipes.org/
      Message 2 of 12 , May 25, 2002
        Hi Ian & Gert,

        >> Forgive me for what am about to say, but I just downloaded...

        You're forgiven and I will restrain from using the wet noodle
        across the naked eyeball this one time. Obviously you must like
        NoteTab Pro a lot using such tactics to get a feature. ;)

        >> In my humble opinion I think Notetab Pro could use something
        >> similar too. Is that possible?

        Of course! The work on NoteTab is far from being over. Although
        there is a considerable amount of users wanting customizable
        syntax highlighting, there were other features that took priority
        because of a larger demand, amount of time to program, and bloat
        that some features would cause.

        >Whatever they do, I hope they fix the syntax highlighting bug
        >that inadvertantly highlights all the text to the bottom of the
        >page, even when the closing tags are typed in.

        It is not the closing tags that cause it if I am thinking of the
        same "problem," but when a closing ">" is not in the text.
        NoteTab sees the start arrow "<" and highlights to the closing
        (as far as the arrows go). Do you have an example where the
        highlighting continues on through text that you do not think it
        should? It can be seen real easy by adding "txt" to your HTML
        Files then typing a right arrow in, then do a save. You will
        notice that the highlighting continues till it sees any closing
        arrow, regardless if it is a matched bracket or not. Try it on
        Help | ReadMe above the eMail addresses and see it stop at the
        first <eMail address> that it comes to.

        >Big fan of syntax highlighting myself, and I know they're adding
        >it in for Perl, so hopefully it'll support a lot of languages in
        >v5.

        Eric is using a third party syntax highlighting (SH) that allows
        us to choose one of the *many* "stock" schemes, edit those to
        your liking, make our own schemes, upload/download the customized
        schemes (shared like Clipbook Libraries) that can be plugged
        right in and edited... The customization SH files will be in a
        text based format in separate files for all the major languages,
        the defaults loaded with the program. The fully customizable SH
        is scheduled for the next program scheduled to be released which
        will be an editor geared towards developers, but will plug right
        in to NoteTab Pro v5. I doubt you will be disappointed!-)

        Other popular features that will be added or improved sometime in
        v5 are: macro recording, a better Block Copy/Cut/Paste, etc. that
        can be easily toggled on/off, customizable keyboard shortcuts to
        Clips, tree-view Outlines, removable & customizable Toolbars,
        plus much more...

        Hopefully, the Addict v3 spell-checker will have the bugs worked
        out of it by then so we will have a much better spell-checker.

        Pro and Std/Light will be using the same input control so we will
        get rid of the problems we have seen because of using two
        different ones.

        Eric is currently working on a new text editor that will be
        released before NoteTab v5 geared towards developers. A lot of
        the code being tested in this new editor will plug directly into
        NoteTab v5 so in that sense, v5 of NoteTab is being worked on.
        We do not have an estimated time of release for v5. It will take
        awhile to be released, because Eric is doing a total rewrite of
        the program which has been under way for some time now.

        http://www.notetab.net

        Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
      • Ian Rastall
        Message 3 of 12 , May 25, 2002
          On Sat, 25 May 2002 12:37:28 -0500, you wrote:

          >Do you have an example where the
          >highlighting continues on through text that you do not think it
          >should?

          Hi Jody. Yes, it happens every time (or pretty much every time) that I
          type in an anchor tag. As with any syntax highlighting, when the tag
          is incomplete, everything past the tag, probably to the end of the
          file, is highlighted that color. Then, when the tag is closed,
          everything after the tag is supposed to go back to the normal color.
          But very often when I type in the final ">", the color doesn't change
          back. I use blue for my anchor tags, and often the text after the
          closing ">" will remain blue. The way I fix it is to scroll that text
          off-screen, and then scroll back. It's fixed then. It's just a
          rendering problem.

          If no one else has this problem, I guess it's got to be something I'm
          doing on my end. Although it's done this now through several versions
          of NoteTab Pro, and through two different OS's (Win 98 and Win 2000).

          Ian

          Message 4 of 12 , May 28, 2002
            Hi Ian,

            I do not think that is a NoteTab problem, but more of a
            resource/display issue. Does it happen first thing on fresh
            bootup? I have seen what you are talking about before and it was
            a low resource issue for me. Also, out of curiosity, if you
            save the file does the highlighting get correctly "painted" on
            the screen in a file that has already been saved?

            Message 5 of 12 , May 28, 2002
              On Tue, 28 May 2002 11:15:06 -0500, you wrote:

              >out of curiosity, if you
              >save the file does the highlighting get correctly "painted" on
              >the screen in a file that has already been saved?

              Everything's fine once the program goes off-screen and comes back.
              I.e., it's okay technically, but somehow the rendering is off.

              It makes sense that it would be a resource issue. I have a 300MHz
              system, and it does tend to get a little over-worked, although I would
              imagine that NoteTab wouldn't use up too many resources.

              Ian
              --
              Mixture Mild in a Bjarne...wait, wait,
              I ain't got a Bjarne. The bjarne's where

              http://www.aspipes.org/
              Message 6 of 12 , May 29, 2002
                Hi Ian,

                >Everything's fine once the program goes off-screen and comes back.
                >I.e., it's okay technically, but somehow the rendering is off.
                >
                >It makes sense that it would be a resource issue. I have a 300MHz
                >system, and it does tend to get a little over-worked, although I would
                >imagine that NoteTab wouldn't use up too many resources.

                It depends on your system overall, not just NoteTab. Win98SE is
                bad about memory leaks and some MS apps I've found do not release
                all the memory they use when you close them.

                Here is some info originally posted by Eric in various posts that
                I compiled and added some things.

                Windows has basically three types of memories: RAM, Virtual
                Memory (your hard disk), and a small section of RAM used for
                storing Windows object handles. When Windows runs out of system
                resources, it may have plenty of RAM left, but it runs out of
                space for storing handles. This is often when funny things start
                happening like the tab bar displaying blank tabs, or the Toolbar
                showing no icons.

                Only libraries open in the Clipbook window will occupy RAM. The
                more items, and the larger the Clips, the more RAM it uses up.
                Running Clips that create variables will take another chunk from
                RAM. Closing the Clipbook window will free several handles which
                occupy the third type of memory.

                Large amounts of Favorites and long lists slow down the loading
                of NoteTab and use up a fair amount of RAM.

                A large Undo limit size. "Large Undo Limit" is dependant on how
                many documents you open, not necessarily the limit you have
                NoteTab configured for in View | Options | Advanced. It should
                rarely be a problem though if you open less than 50 documents at
                a time.

                A large number of Libraries on the button bar would also take up
                extra resources. Each button requires a Windows handle. Tools
                on the Toolbar and the Clipbar also use the mentioned handles as
                do the document tabs.

                Display problems is usually the first visible sign of being low
                on the resources it takes to paint the different objects in a
                window. Sometimes, a better video card with more memory can help
                or better/the latest drivers. You might consider turning down
                your hardware acceleration a notch for awhile to see the effect
                it has.

                Happy Bag'n!
                Jody

                mailto:MailBag-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
              • Bob Garsson
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 17, 2002
                  I installed UAS under C:\Program Files\UAS, which was the default, but
                  nothing shows up on the tools menu. Do I have to move it into the Notetab
                  directory? And if I do, will it still be a global application?
                  Bob

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 18, 2002
                    Hi Bob,

                    >I installed UAS under C:\Program Files\UAS, which was the
                    >default, but nothing shows up on the tools menu. Do I have to
                    >move it into the Notetab directory? And if I do, will it still
                    >be a global application?

                    You should be able to install it anywhere. You might need to
                    reboot before it shows up. The freeware does not work in all
                    applications, but the Pro version does. If you mean globally in
                    NoteTab, yes, it will. From Help:

                    NoteTab works seamlessly with UltimaShell Autocompletion Server
                    (UAS). This utility provides smart autocompletion and can learn
                    new words as you type away. A free version of UAS is available to
                    NoteTab users from our Download page:

                    http://www.notetab.com/download.htm

                    Once you've install UAS and restarted NoteTab, you'll find a new
                    menu item called "UltimaShell Autocompletion" under the Tools
                    menu. Click on that command to launch UAS. Now UAS will jump into
                    action when you start typing in NoteTab. When UAS is running,