Re: new uploads won't show

  • thefrankwmx
    Message 1 of 2 , May 16, 2002
      Hi McMaier,

      Don's suggestions are good, but here are a couple items that haven't
      been mentioned:

      1. Dealing with propagation lag times - With Windows OS there is a
      file named hosts (all small case, no extension) usually found in the
      WINDOWS dir. Your browser will check here first for the web address
      you enter. If it cannot be found here the browser then checks the
      web, which checks the internet, which checks a router, where the
      first DNS server encountered delivers the IP address it has stored
      for that domain. If that DNS server has not updated then you get the
      last stored IP. Propagation is complete when all DNS servers have
      updated.

      One thing you can do when transferring domain to new IP is force your
      browser to look there. Open NoteTab and open WINDOWS > hosts. Save as
      hosts.bak then save as hosts. add the following 2 lines to this file:

      newserverIP (tab) yourdomainname.upperleveldomain
      newserverIP (tab) www.yourdomainname.upperleveldomain

      For example:

      123.456.78.9 acmesoftware.com
      123.456.78.9 www.acmesoftware.com

      Be sure to use Tab to separate and be sure there is no space before
      or after each line and be sure to include a carriage return (or 2)
      after the end of the last line (just goto the end of the last line
      and hit Enter twice).

      Save the new hosts file and open your browser and type in your web
      address. This forces your browser to go directly to your new IP to
      find the homepage (index.html etc) of your site. Now you can check
      your new upload without waiting for propagation. When you suspect
      propagation to be complete just delete these 2 lines in your local
      hosts file and you browser will then look at the internet to find DNS
      pointing to your IP.

      2. On your webserver where domain is hosted there is also a hosts
      file that operates using the identical method (imagine that...). With
      Apache the hosts file is usually located ~/etc/hosts . The URI is
      usually sufficient here since the alias www.domainname.uld is usually
      covered in the vhost.conf file. Other servers may locate these files
      differently but the function would be the same. If your hosting
      webserver hosts file was not updated when the domain was transferred
      (this gets overlooked sometimes) then there will be a problem
      resolving DNS. You will need root access to update this file. If you
      do not have root access you will need to contact your hosting
      webserver tech support to check this file.

      3. On occasion (although rarely) I have encountered a condition on my
      local system where I have consumed resources to the point NoteTab no
      longer operates properly. The first evidence of this is the fonts
      change upon opening a new file. For this to occur I usually have 50
      or more files open in NTP, have been working for hours, have several
      MS apps open (Word, Excel, etc...) and have several other apps open
      as well (Xara, XnView, etc). It takes awhile to consume 256mb of RAM
      but it happens. When this does happen I have noticed that NTP may not
      save my document properly. I do not blame NTP for this because few of
      the other apps will either at this point, I blame MS for their famous
      memory leaks. The simple solution is to simply reboot. I have found
      that upon closing NTP to prepare for reboot unsaved files are usually
      save just fine. As far as this (3.) these are my observations and not
      intended to be a technical explaination.

      regards,

      tf
      thefrank.com