Re: [NH] new uploads won't show

  • Don Passenger
    Message 1 of 4 , May 15, 2002
      If you are updating your dns server info (to direct people to your new
      server instead of your old server) the chance will show as having been made
      on the control panel for your registrar. However there is a 24-48 hour
      delay before the dns tables which control such things are actually updated.

      What I do is put a completely new page on the new server and try to access
      that. When it comes up, I know the switch has occurred. In the meantime, I
      mirror the sites on both servers so that there is a smooth transition. In
      fact what I often do is put a page on old server in place of the index using
      a refresh tag and sending visitor to the new server via the ip address.
      However that won't help for people who have it bookmarked or enter via
      search engines in the meantime.

      --
      Don Passenger
      mailto:dpasseng@...
      Message 2 of 4 , May 15, 2002
        Thanks Don. I' m not sure what is happening now. I followed your suggestion
        to create a new page on the new server and uploaded it. It shows up in the
        control panel but, when I tried to directly access it I got a "page is
        unavailable". I accessed another "old" file that had no corrections, and
        it displayed. I accessed an "old" file that was altered, and none of the
        corrections displayed.

        I was also going to try to "mirror" the old and new server contents, but
        the old server is now a "page is unavailable".

        <However there is a 24-48 hour delay before the dns tables which control
        such things are actually updated.> The pages have been up for a week and I
        was hoping they'd be fine by now. Without new material capability, the site
        is as good as dead.