new uploads won't show

  • MCMAIER
    Message 1 of 2 , May 15 4:28 AM
      Why won't new pages overwrite the old ones on my web site? I've added new material to the "directional pages" which offer choices for 7 design areas, uploaded them, and they are properly listed in the html control panel. However, the old pages continue to show up. Better yet, I've deleted these old pages from both the website control panel and the WS FTP list and they still are being displayed.

      Cache temp files have been deleted several times and I've rebooted to no avail. These opening pages are all in one folder, and no other folders have been uploaded yet--until these are working, so these pages can't be from any other place.

      All files had to be removed to a new server. I don't know if it's a problem there (can't get an answer), on my FTP or me.

      Suggestions?

    • thefrankwmx
      Message 2 of 2 , May 16 4:38 AM
        Hi McMaier,

        Don's suggestions are good, but here are a couple items that haven't
        been mentioned:

        1. Dealing with propagation lag times - With Windows OS there is a
        file named hosts (all small case, no extension) usually found in the
        WINDOWS dir. Your browser will check here first for the web address
        you enter. If it cannot be found here the browser then checks the
        web, which checks the internet, which checks a router, where the
        first DNS server encountered delivers the IP address it has stored
        for that domain. If that DNS server has not updated then you get the
        last stored IP. Propagation is complete when all DNS servers have
        updated.

        One thing you can do when transferring domain to new IP is force your
        browser to look there. Open NoteTab and open WINDOWS > hosts. Save as
        hosts.bak then save as hosts. add the following 2 lines to this file:

        newserverIP (tab) yourdomainname.upperleveldomain
        newserverIP (tab) www.yourdomainname.upperleveldomain

        For example:

        123.456.78.9 acmesoftware.com
        123.456.78.9 www.acmesoftware.com

        Be sure to use Tab to separate and be sure there is no space before
        or after each line and be sure to include a carriage return (or 2)
        after the end of the last line (just goto the end of the last line
        and hit Enter twice).

        Save the new hosts file and open your browser and type in your web
        address. This forces your browser to go directly to your new IP to
        find the homepage (index.html etc) of your site. Now you can check
        your new upload without waiting for propagation. When you suspect
        propagation to be complete just delete these 2 lines in your local
        hosts file and you browser will then look at the internet to find DNS
        pointing to your IP.

        2. On your webserver where domain is hosted there is also a hosts
        file that operates using the identical method (imagine that...). With
        Apache the hosts file is usually located ~/etc/hosts . The URI is
        usually sufficient here since the alias www.domainname.uld is usually
        covered in the vhost.conf file. Other servers may locate these files
        differently but the function would be the same. If your hosting
        webserver hosts file was not updated when the domain was transferred
        (this gets overlooked sometimes) then there will be a problem
        resolving DNS. You will need root access to update this file. If you
        do not have root access you will need to contact your hosting
        webserver tech support to check this file.

        3. On occasion (although rarely) I have encountered a condition on my
        local system where I have consumed resources to the point NoteTab no
        longer operates properly. The first evidence of this is the fonts
        change upon opening a new file. For this to occur I usually have 50
        or more files open in NTP, have been working for hours, have several
        MS apps open (Word, Excel, etc...) and have several other apps open
        as well (Xara, XnView, etc). It takes awhile to consume 256mb of RAM
        but it happens. When this does happen I have noticed that NTP may not
        save my document properly. I do not blame NTP for this because few of
        the other apps will either at this point, I blame MS for their famous
        memory leaks. The simple solution is to simply reboot. I have found
        that upon closing NTP to prepare for reboot unsaved files are usually
        save just fine. As far as this (3.) these are my observations and not
        intended to be a technical explaination.

        regards,

        tf
        thefrank.com