Re: [NH] Re: CSS - Center a

  • david brown
    Message 1 of 7 , May 3, 2002
      My IE5+=Looks like its gotta come a tad left. ScreenShot of it=Attachment.
      Message 2 of 7 , May 3, 2002
        Oh, now I see, I have to hit refresh for it to work.

        You can trigger it automatically on resize of course (so I assumed you had).
        I was looking at it on MSIE 5.5, but not hitting refresh.

        Replace your body tag with the following:
        <BODY onResize="window.location.href = window.location.href;">

        > My goal was to center the blue square horizontally within the browser
        > window. Since this technique use CSS positioning, I expect it will
        > only work in IE5+ and NS6.
      • wilkinsonm
        Message 3 of 7 , May 3, 2002
          Thanks for the feedback. My example is definitely just a prototype. I
          do like your code snippet. It's simpler than what I had in mind.
          Thanks!

          Mike Wilkinson
          http://websites-graphics.biz
        • Larry Hamilton
          Message 4 of 7 , May 3, 2002
            Works in IE 6.x, WinXP Home.

            Larry

            > My goal was to center the blue square horizontally within the browser
            > window. Since this technique use CSS positioning, I expect it will
            > only work in IE5+ and NS6.
            >
            > If you resize your browser window, then click on Refresh, hopefully
            > you will see that the blue square becomes centered. If not, I would
            > appreciate your feedback. It would be helpful to know what browser
            > and version you're using.
          • Lotta
            Message 5 of 7 , May 3, 2002
              >My goal was to center the blue square horizontally within the browser
              >window. Since this technique use CSS positioning, I expect it will
              >only work in IE5+ and NS6.

              Mike, since you have an explicit width and use absolute positioning anyway
              you can easily center the element by positioning it in the middle of the
              screen and then give it a negative margin of half it's own width. No
              scripting needed.

              div
              { width: 700px; height: 200px; background-color: blue;
              position: absolute; top: 100px; left: 50%; margin-left: -350px;
              margin-right: auto }