[NH] Re: CSS - Center a

  • wilkinsonm
    Message 1 of 7 , May 3, 2002
      My goal was to center the blue square horizontally within the browser
      window. Since this technique use CSS positioning, I expect it will
      only work in IE5+ and NS6.

      If you resize your browser window, then click on Refresh, hopefully
      you will see that the blue square becomes centered. If not, I would
      appreciate your feedback. It would be helpful to know what browser
      and version you're using.

      Thanks!

      Mike Wilkinson
      http://websites-graphics.biz

      "Don Passenger" wrote:
      > Mike, the red square is vertically centered on the blue background,
      but the
      > blue isn't centered on anything as near as I can figure ...
      > No idea what you were trying to do.
    • david brown
      Message 2 of 7 , May 3, 2002
        My IE5+=Looks like its gotta come a tad left. ScreenShot of it=Attachment.
        > My goal was to center the blue square horizontally within the browser
        > window. Since this technique use CSS positioning, I expect it will
        > only work in IE5+ and NS6.
        >
        > If you resize your browser window, then click on Refresh, hopefully
        > you will see that the blue square becomes centered. If not, I would
        > appreciate your feedback. It would be helpful to know what browser
        > and version you're using.
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Mike Wilkinson
        > http://websites-graphics.biz
        >
        > "Don Passenger" wrote:
        > > Mike, the red square is vertically centered on the blue background,
        > but the
        > > blue isn't centered on anything as near as I can figure ...
        > > No idea what you were trying to do.

      • Don Passenger
        Message 3 of 7 , May 3, 2002
          Oh, now I see, I have to hit refresh for it to work.

          You can trigger it automatically on resize of course (so I assumed you had).
          I was looking at it on MSIE 5.5, but not hitting refresh.

          Replace your body tag with the following:
          <BODY onResize="window.location.href = window.location.href;">

          > My goal was to center the blue square horizontally within the browser
          > window. Since this technique use CSS positioning, I expect it will
          > only work in IE5+ and NS6.
        • wilkinsonm
          Message 4 of 7 , May 3, 2002
            Thanks for the feedback. My example is definitely just a prototype. I
            do like your code snippet. It's simpler than what I had in mind.
            Thanks!

            Mike Wilkinson
            http://websites-graphics.biz
          • Larry Hamilton
            Message 5 of 7 , May 3, 2002
              Works in IE 6.x, WinXP Home.

              Larry

              > My goal was to center the blue square horizontally within the browser
              > window. Since this technique use CSS positioning, I expect it will
              > only work in IE5+ and NS6.
              >
              > If you resize your browser window, then click on Refresh, hopefully
              > you will see that the blue square becomes centered. If not, I would
              > appreciate your feedback. It would be helpful to know what browser
              > and version you're using.
            • Lotta
              Message 6 of 7 , May 3, 2002
                >My goal was to center the blue square horizontally within the browser
                >window. Since this technique use CSS positioning, I expect it will
                >only work in IE5+ and NS6.

                Mike, since you have an explicit width and use absolute positioning anyway
                you can easily center the element by positioning it in the middle of the
                screen and then give it a negative margin of half it's own width. No
                scripting needed.

                div
                { width: 700px; height: 200px; background-color: blue;
                position: absolute; top: 100px; left: 50%; margin-left: -350px;
                margin-right: auto }