[NH] link style

  • Niam Felton
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 22, 2002
      Two questions regarding the following -

      <DEFANGED_style>
      a {text-decoration: none; color: #339999;}
      a:hover {color: #3399ff;}

      1 Does defanged mean detoothed, ie, does it mask the enclosed code so
      that it is not read by a browser. Is this what it is used for? For
      explanation not function?

      2 I decided on this type of link coding for simplicity. It seems to
      work for me, but would appreciate any comment on possible flaws. Sorry,
      that's not the real question. The question is - having set this code I
      have the odd occasion when I want to change the color of the link (on a
      different background, but in the same page). I have tried setting a
      special class but without success (Netscape 4.5) Any suggestions?

      Thanks
      Neil

    • Niam Felton
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 23, 2002
        Thank you, thank you Adam
        Made my day
        have a good one
        Neil

      • Adam Weston
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 23, 2002
          1. <DEFANGED-style> is not a valid markup tag, but <style> is. After looking
          around a bit, it looks like "DEFANGED_" is added by mail and newsgroup
          servers to prevent malicious scripts and such embedded in email. So, yes it
          is masked from the browser, change to <style> if you want it to work.

          2. If you have this stylesheet in your page, it will make all links use the
          defined style. You can add a class to the stylesheet and use that class in
          those links you wish to be different. e.g.:

          a {text-decoration: none; color: #339999;}
          a:hover {color: #3399ff;}
          a.different {text-decoration: underline; color: #ff0033;}
          a.different:hover {color: #00ffff;}

          <a class="different" href="foo.html">click for foo</a>

          -Adam

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 24, 2002
            Hi David,
            Thanks for that. What Adam gave me works fine except for the "hover" part
            which I am keeping in for later version browsers. I can't see my links change
            color but for now that's fine.
            Neil

          • twinlor
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 24, 2002
              > The question is - having set this code I
              > have the odd occasion when I want to change the color of the link
              (on a
              > different background, but in the same page). I have tried setting a
              > special class but without success (Netscape 4.5) Any suggestions?

              Hi Neil,

              You might have trouble trying to get your link colors and text-
              decorations
              to work in Netscape (4.*).
              It doesn't recognize some of the anchor class selectors and pseudo-
              class selectors. This site has some charts showing CSS1 + 2 selector
              support.
              http://www.webreview.com/style/
              Last time I checked, it covered IE up to v5.5, NN up to v6 and Opera
              up to v3.6.

              On a side note:
              Concerning tags like "defanged_", I believe we should all value their
              TIC qualities. One by one they are being deprecated in favor of more
              blah sounding names. Perhaps we need a "Tag Name Protection
              Society"? :)

              - David