[NH] Re: To capitalise or not to...

  • Grey Cat
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 21, 1999
      From: <ChrisPye@...>
      Sometimes the HTML tags are capitals, sometimes not, numbers or values may
      be in quotes, or not. What is the wisdom on this? Does it really matter if
      we capitalise or leave out the quote marks (") in HTML?

      As I understand it, it does not matter whether tags are capitolized or not.
      Some of us learned one way, some the other. My thinking is that caps make it
      easier to sort the tags out of the text on the page, but I realize that it's
      just my personal choice.

      Quotation marks are an entirely different question and *YES* it is extremely
      important that variables be in quotes for those tags which require quotes!
      Without the quotation marks, the tag option will not occur! I'm afraid that
      the reason that the quote requirement differs from one tag to another is the
      fault of HTML and browser designers/programmers!

      And probably not a viable thought: Is there a case for asking Notetabbers as
      a group to decide on a format?

      Several of the HTML libraries are available with either caps or not. What
      *I* like most about NTP is that it doesn't *tell* me how I should enter my
      tags, it just does them the way I choose! I think it would be absolutely
      terrible for us to "get together and decide" and then more or less force
      everyone to go along with it.

      I believe you can even edit tags in your favorite library if you want to
      change case!

      Hey! just try shouting at FrontPage over how it chooses to enter tags!!!

      Cat

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
    • Glenn Dixon
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 21, 1999
        well, I guess I'm just very unobservant! I've had NoteTab since it was a
        $10 piece of shareware ... version 1 something I think......I just never
        tried the mnemonic jump thing on any clip view window before.....

        one question.....if I am typing in a document window, what's the fastest way
        to shift the focus back to the clip window so I can type 'b' and move right
        to Bold? Is there a keystroke combination for this?

        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 21, 1999
          <snip>

          >I believe you can even edit tags in your favorite library if you want to
          >change case!
          >
          >Hey! just try shouting at FrontPage over how it chooses to enter tags!!!
          >
          >Cat

          FrontPage???.......uh-oh, don't get me started!! *LOL*

          Just for kicks, I'll give an example of how I want HTML tags to pop up in
          NoteTab clips. For instance, if I want to insert an image into an HTML page
          I want the clip to prompt me for file name, Height and/or Width, Alt=,
          border, etc. Of course, we each have our own preferences so I doubt there
          could ever be a 'standard' NoteTab clip structure or syntax.....

          Glenn Dixon
          glenn@...
          http://thedixons.net

          eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
        • Raymond Fitzgerald
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 21, 1999
            Hi Glenn,

            >one question.....if I am typing in a document window, what's the fastest
            way
            >to shift the focus back to the clip window so I can type 'b' and move right
            >to Bold? Is there a keystroke combination for this?

            Try Shift+F4 to switch to the clipbook window (and Ctrl+G to switch back to
            the document). But it may be easier and faster to use the in-context
            clipbook (ESC). That way you never leave your document. But autoscroll works
            a little differently. The clipbook window understands just the first letter
            you key, so, for example, typing "bb" would jump you from "bold" to "break"
            and then typing "a" will take you to "anchor." The in-context clipbook
            reads every letter you type to find just one clip. So "b" for "bold, "br"
            will take you to "break," and "bb" won't do anything.

            Cheers,
            Ray

            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 21, 1999
              Hi all,

              Chris wrote:
              >Does it really matter if we capitalise or leave out the quote marks (") in
              HTML?

              Personally, I don't quote attribute values when it's not mandatory because
              hitting that quote key is too much work and it adds to the file size. I
              follow the basic rule of thumb of all numbers (width=600) or all letters
              (valign=top) OK to not quote. But quote mixed (size="+1",
              bgcolor="#000000").

              This is from the W3C's HTML 4.0 specs
              (http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/html40.txt):

              In certain cases, authors may specify the value of an attribute without any
              quotation marks. The attribute value may only contain letters (a-z and A-Z),
              digits (0-9), hyphens (ASCII decimal 45), and periods (ASCII decimal 46). We
              recommend using quotation marks even when it is possible to eliminate them.
              Attribute names are always case-insensitive. Attribute values are generally
              case-insensitive. The definition of each attribute in the reference manual
              indicates whether its value is case-insensitive.
              Cheers,
              Ray Fitz

              eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
            • Kay Roath
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 21, 1999
                06/21/1999 9:02 AM Glenn Dixon wrote
                > one question.....if I am typing in a document window, what's the fastest way
                > to shift the focus back to the clip window so I can type 'b' and move right
                > to Bold? Is there a keystroke combination for this?

                Besides jumping to thr clip area or using In-Context or F2,
                there's now the HTML-ar Library. To get <b></b> inserted
                into the document, you would type <b followed by a space
                (check the About clip for other keys that work also). If
                you have text that you want surrounded by <b></b>,
                highlight the text and press Escape then <b then Enter.

                Of course, you need to have auto replace turned on for
                things to work as I've described in my mostly lower case
                way:)

                --- Grandma Kay ---
                http://notetab.kay.net

                eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
              • Rod Davies
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 21, 1999
                  I feel Clip libraries are best seen as "samples" or "examples". They are
                  offered to the Note Tab community as a way for sharing what has proved
                  useful to an individual, (and free of charge too!). Therefore the
                  inconsistency.. but when you think about it, consistency is not what clips
                  are about really... and the USP of Note Tab is that you can customise it to
                  work the way you want, for a trade off in learning curves....

                  The key is to put all the clips you feel are useful for you in your own
                  personal library(ies), edit them if necessary, and away you go... My tip is
                  to choose an existing library which is close to what you want, review and
                  edit if necessary each clip, and then copy clips you like from other
                  libraries into it, again editing as you go, It could take as little as 30
                  minutes to an afternoon.... It takes a small investment of time for a
                  highly personal and customised solution.

                  I am forever grateful to those who upload their clip libraries as I didn't
                  have to start from scratch. But it would be almost impossible for someone's
                  customised solution to match exactly another person's needs.

                  Changing all tags in a clip library to upper or lower case is a 2 minute
                  job, I am sure, once you know...

                  And I'm pretty sure there is a menu item or clip which does it
                  automatically. ..Though I'm not sure where it is (:-)!

                  But I guess my main point is that Clips are not part of NT per se but like
                  add-ons or "macro's" which extend functionality and customization.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 23, 1999
                    Rod Davies wrote:
                    [Rod, please don't put a fullqoute after your message]

                    > The key is to put all the clips you feel are useful for you in your own
                    > personal library(ies), edit them if necessary, and away you go...

                    JAp. But it's nice if you give the author of the clip a tip what you have
                    missed and what you would have prefered. This way, the author can decide
                    wether to take this suggestion into the library or not.

                    Why should you do so?
                    Because the next time a new version of your best liked library comes out,
                    you have to do your changes again. And again.

                    > But I guess my main point is that Clips are not part of NT per se but like
                    > add-ons or "macro's" which extend functionality and customization.

                    Oh, there are clips - but you can't include all cliplibraries which are
                    available on the website. :o)
                    Nicole

                    --
                    »So, you're searching for alien life forms? Don't you meet
                    enough strange people in discussion lists like this one? ;o)«

                    eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html