Non active popup window always on top

  • egroupgfrank
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2002
      I would like to find out if there is a way I can have an html link
      pop up a new window which will always display on top of all other
      browser windows, yet allow windows behind it to be active.

      (in other words... I would like to pop up a small "help tutorial" in
      a window that will stay on top while a user follows step by step...
      but allow them to use the website behind the floating tutorial window)

      I can't use the body command: onBlur="self.focus()" because that
      will not allow me to use any window behind my popup. I would have to
      close the pop up to do the step in the tutorial.. and then would have
      to re-open the tutorial to see it again.

      Any ideas? is there a script that might allow a non-active window to
      stay on top?

      Thanks!

      GLenn Frank
    • 510033841687-0001@t-online.de
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2, 2002

        The onLoad=... puts the popup on top when it finishes
        whenever a different window is clicked.

        I hope this will do the job for you.

        gp

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2, 2002
          What you are hoping to do is pretty much impossible with
          multiple windows. You could use frames to accomplish it.

          If you wanted to use DHTML (and could live without having
          to support Netscape4.x) you could implement a nice sliding
          or remove at will. I have seen this done very nicely...

          I would like to find out if there is a way I can have an html link
          pop up a new window which will always display on top of all other
          browser windows, yet allow windows behind it to be active.

          (in other words... I would like to pop up a small "help tutorial" in
          a window that will stay on top while a user follows step by step...
          but allow them to use the website behind the floating tutorial window)

          I can't use the body command: onBlur="self.focus()" because that
          will not allow me to use any window behind my popup. I would have to
          close the pop up to do the step in the tutorial.. and then would have
          to re-open the tutorial to see it again.

          Any ideas? is there a script that might allow a non-active window to
          stay on top?

          Thanks!

          GLenn Frank

        • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 2, 2002
            egroupgfrank wrote:

            >I would like to find out if there is a way I can have an html link
            >pop up a new window which will always display on top of all other
            >browser windows, yet allow windows behind it to be active.

            That does not work well with tabbed browsers, such as Opera or
            NetCaptor. It would also trigger some of the pop-up stopping
            ultilities, used by many people, to block the window entirely.

            Your best approach is probably to use frames.
          • stephen riddle
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 2, 2002
              Hi Frank,
              Yes, you can do that pretty easily.
              What I would do is use a timeout and bring the "help" window up every fifteen
              seconds or so. Place the script into the "help" document, and have it either
              focus itself or put itself on top.
              One of the other folks suggested you design it differently, but first, do a
              test run of your way.( have someone else test drive it for you.) (I don't
              happen to have a script handy, but it should not be too hard to script.)
              Other things you can do is use a floating layer with this information (more
              complex to script, but more pleasing for some reason.)

              Good luck,
              Stephen