Re: [NH] SlideShow

  • Don Passenger
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 15, 2002
      Or this using pop-under (again all content is on your page still, I am just
      displaying it):

      http://galileo.spaceports.com/~bestfoot/slideshow/popunder1.htm

      I grabbed the pop-under here:

      http://www.javascriptkit.com/script/script2/popunder.shtml

      It looks like this:
      <script>

      //Pop-under window- By JavaScript Kit
      //Credit notice must stay intact for use
      //Visit http://javascriptkit.com for this script

      //specify page to pop-under
      var popunder="music1.htm"

      //Pop-under only once per browser session? (0=no, 1=yes)
      //Specifying 0 will cause popunder to load every time page is loaded
      var once_per_session=1

      ///No editing beyond here required/////

      function get_cookie(Name) {
      var search = Name + "="
      var returnvalue = "";
      if (document.cookie.length > 0) {
      offset = document.cookie.indexOf(search)
      if (offset != -1) { // if cookie exists
      offset += search.length
      // set index of beginning of value
      end = document.cookie.indexOf(";", offset);
      // set index of end of cookie value
      if (end == -1)
      end = document.cookie.length;
      returnvalue=unescape(document.cookie.substring(offset, end))
      }
      }
      return returnvalue;
      }

      function loadornot(){
      if (get_cookie('popunder')==''){
      loadpopunder()
      document.cookie="popunder=yes"
      }
      }

      function loadpopunder(){
      win2=window.open(popunder)
      win2.blur()
      window.focus()
      }

      if (once_per_session==0)
      loadpopunder()
      else
      loadornot()

      </script>

      It just opens a second window, throws it into the background, and the music
      starts playing in the background.

      because spaceport is free space, you may get some popunders

      --
      Don Passenger
      mailto:dpasseng@...
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 15, 2002
        I don't normally reccomend frames, but in this case I think they might help.
        You can make a frameset with a narrow frame on the left and a wide frame on
        the right (or othere configuration, whatever you like). The small frame just
        contains the embedded music, while the large frame holds the actual
        slideshow.

        This solves both problems; the music will be continuous since the small
        frame doesnt change, and the first slide will not hang waiting for the large
        .mp3 to finish loading. Additionally, the small frame can be used for other
        things like an index of the slides, forward/back controls, etc.

        -A

      • theoldpro
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 16, 2002
          Much thanks to Adam, Lotta, and Don for their able suggestions.
          When visiting southern California with your "significant other", dinner is
          on me.
          Just email a day or three in advance.

          A special thanks to Don for providing the finishing touches for the "index"
          file.

          Everything is now A-OK. Take a peek at www.theoldpro.net/seniorcenter

          Jim C. Gajniak

          > I don't normally reccomend frames, but in this case I think they might
          help.
          > You can make a frameset with a narrow frame on the left and a wide frame
          on
          > the right (or othere configuration, whatever you like). The small frame
          just
          > contains the embedded music, while the large frame holds the actual
          > slideshow.
          >
          > This solves both problems; the music will be continuous since the small
          > frame doesnt change, and the first slide will not hang waiting for the
          large
          > .mp3 to finish loading. Additionally, the small frame can be used for
          other
          > things like an index of the slides, forward/back controls, etc.
          >
          > -A

        • theoldpro
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 16, 2002
            Hello Don,

            One final question---
            www.theoldpro.net/seniorcenter works with IE;
            with NetScape Navigator 4.79, I see the slides, but I don't get the music.

            Any ideas on this?

            Jim C. Gajniak

            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 17, 2002
              you got this answer, correct?