Re: [NH] SlideShow

  • Don Passenger
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 15, 2002
      see it in action (note the content is all still on his site, I only call it
      in my frame):

      http://galileo.spaceports.com/~bestfoot/slideshow/

      I think mp3 is now a good way to go for the music by the way, much more
      compact per amount of content and windows media player for example will
      handle it fine. Most people have a plug-in, but the idea of a link to a
      plug in might be a good one, as Conan suggested.

      --
      Don Passenger
      mailto:dpasseng@...
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 15, 2002
        Or this using pop-under (again all content is on your page still, I am just
        displaying it):

        http://galileo.spaceports.com/~bestfoot/slideshow/popunder1.htm

        I grabbed the pop-under here:

        http://www.javascriptkit.com/script/script2/popunder.shtml

        It looks like this:
        <script>

        //Pop-under window- By JavaScript Kit
        //Credit notice must stay intact for use
        //Visit http://javascriptkit.com for this script

        //specify page to pop-under
        var popunder="music1.htm"

        //Pop-under only once per browser session? (0=no, 1=yes)
        //Specifying 0 will cause popunder to load every time page is loaded
        var once_per_session=1

        ///No editing beyond here required/////

        function get_cookie(Name) {
        var search = Name + "="
        var returnvalue = "";
        if (document.cookie.length > 0) {
        offset = document.cookie.indexOf(search)
        if (offset != -1) { // if cookie exists
        offset += search.length
        // set index of beginning of value
        end = document.cookie.indexOf(";", offset);
        // set index of end of cookie value
        if (end == -1)
        end = document.cookie.length;
        returnvalue=unescape(document.cookie.substring(offset, end))
        }
        }
        return returnvalue;
        }

        function loadornot(){
        if (get_cookie('popunder')==''){
        loadpopunder()
        document.cookie="popunder=yes"
        }
        }

        function loadpopunder(){
        win2=window.open(popunder)
        win2.blur()
        window.focus()
        }

        if (once_per_session==0)
        loadpopunder()
        else
        loadornot()

        </script>

        It just opens a second window, throws it into the background, and the music
        starts playing in the background.

        because spaceport is free space, you may get some popunders

        --
        Don Passenger
        mailto:dpasseng@...
        home: http://www.iserv.net/~dpasseng
        work: http://www.grcourt.org
        > see it in action (note the content is all still on his site, I only call
        it
        > in my frame):
        >
        > http://galileo.spaceports.com/~bestfoot/slideshow/
        >
        > I think mp3 is now a good way to go for the music by the way, much more
        > compact per amount of content and windows media player for example will
        > handle it fine. Most people have a plug-in, but the idea of a link to a
        > plug in might be a good one, as Conan suggested.
        >
        > --
        > Don Passenger
        > mailto:dpasseng@...
        > home: http://www.iserv.net/~dpasseng
        > work: http://www.grcourt.org

      • Adam Weston
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 15, 2002
          I don't normally reccomend frames, but in this case I think they might help.
          You can make a frameset with a narrow frame on the left and a wide frame on
          the right (or othere configuration, whatever you like). The small frame just
          contains the embedded music, while the large frame holds the actual
          slideshow.

          This solves both problems; the music will be continuous since the small
          frame doesnt change, and the first slide will not hang waiting for the large
          .mp3 to finish loading. Additionally, the small frame can be used for other
          things like an index of the slides, forward/back controls, etc.

          -A

        • theoldpro
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 16, 2002
            Much thanks to Adam, Lotta, and Don for their able suggestions.
            When visiting southern California with your "significant other", dinner is
            on me.
            Just email a day or three in advance.

            A special thanks to Don for providing the finishing touches for the "index"
            file.

            Everything is now A-OK. Take a peek at www.theoldpro.net/seniorcenter

            Jim C. Gajniak

            > I don't normally reccomend frames, but in this case I think they might
            help.
            > You can make a frameset with a narrow frame on the left and a wide frame
            on
            > the right (or othere configuration, whatever you like). The small frame
            just
            > contains the embedded music, while the large frame holds the actual
            > slideshow.
            >
            > This solves both problems; the music will be continuous since the small
            > frame doesnt change, and the first slide will not hang waiting for the
            large
            > .mp3 to finish loading. Additionally, the small frame can be used for
            other
            > things like an index of the slides, forward/back controls, etc.
            >
            > -A

          • theoldpro
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 16, 2002
              Hello Don,

              One final question---
              www.theoldpro.net/seniorcenter works with IE;
              with NetScape Navigator 4.79, I see the slides, but I don't get the music.

              Any ideas on this?

              Jim C. Gajniak

              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 17, 2002
                you got this answer, correct?