Re: [NH] SlideShow

  • Don Passenger
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 15, 2002
      use this as your first page:
      <head>
      <title>*** Slide Show Shell ***</title>
      </head>
      <frameset rows="90%, 10%">
      <frame src="slide1.htm" name="slides" frameborder="0" scrolling="auto" />
      <frame src="music1.htm" name="music" frameborder="0" scrolling="auto" />
      </frameset>

      <noframes>
      noframes content
      </noframes>

      --
      Don Passenger
      mailto:dpasseng@...
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 15, 2002
        see it in action (note the content is all still on his site, I only call it
        in my frame):

        http://galileo.spaceports.com/~bestfoot/slideshow/

        I think mp3 is now a good way to go for the music by the way, much more
        compact per amount of content and windows media player for example will
        handle it fine. Most people have a plug-in, but the idea of a link to a
        plug in might be a good one, as Conan suggested.

        --
        Don Passenger
        mailto:dpasseng@...
        home: http://www.iserv.net/~dpasseng
        work: http://www.grcourt.org
      • stephen riddle
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 15, 2002
          Hi Jim, Lotta, Don,

          JIm, the music stops because it is in the same window with the first slide.
          You can choose to do different things:
          Create a new window beneath the top window which contains the music (like
          Don suggested.)
          (I note you are using an MP3, not everyone has a plug-in for it, so you
          might find a url for the plug-in download and display it using the url
          attribute in your embed element.) (The browser and OS I just happened to
          check your page with does not have the plug-in by the way, and just stopped!)
          Have your slide show be powered by JavaScript, (Not all browsers understand
          the meta/refresh thang either--and then again some folks keep JS turned off),
          keeping all the images on one page.) I have such a JavaScript slide show
          around here somewhere, which could easily be adapted for you. I'd just have
          to remember where I put it.
          {I noticed you are using large images. This is fine for those who have DSL
          or CABLE. Some of your modem-using-viewers will just barely get the image,
          or not completely get it and the page will switch on them. (JavaScript can
          monitor this.)}
          If you can edit your Mp3 files or obtain a variety of them, you could place
          a different background sound on each page. Every time the browser
          refreshes, it will start at the beginning of the music file but if that music
          file changes this will p r o b a b l y seem sensible.
          You could just leave everything the way it is now. If you did not tell
          anyone you were expecting something s l i g h t l y different, how would the
          know?

          Good luck and Keep making the music,
          Stephen
          > It finally does advance through all the slides as it is supposed to do....
          > First slide is supposed to take 30 seconds; all the rest take 10 seconds.
          > But, the music stops when the first slide ends. I want the music to
          > continue
        • Don Passenger
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 15, 2002
            Or this using pop-under (again all content is on your page still, I am just
            displaying it):

            http://galileo.spaceports.com/~bestfoot/slideshow/popunder1.htm

            I grabbed the pop-under here:

            http://www.javascriptkit.com/script/script2/popunder.shtml

            It looks like this:
            <script>

            //Pop-under window- By JavaScript Kit
            //Credit notice must stay intact for use
            //Visit http://javascriptkit.com for this script

            //specify page to pop-under
            var popunder="music1.htm"

            //Pop-under only once per browser session? (0=no, 1=yes)
            //Specifying 0 will cause popunder to load every time page is loaded
            var once_per_session=1

            ///No editing beyond here required/////

            function get_cookie(Name) {
            var search = Name + "="
            var returnvalue = "";
            if (document.cookie.length > 0) {
            offset = document.cookie.indexOf(search)
            if (offset != -1) { // if cookie exists
            offset += search.length
            // set index of beginning of value
            end = document.cookie.indexOf(";", offset);
            // set index of end of cookie value
            if (end == -1)
            end = document.cookie.length;
            returnvalue=unescape(document.cookie.substring(offset, end))
            }
            }
            return returnvalue;
            }

            function loadornot(){
            if (get_cookie('popunder')==''){
            loadpopunder()
            document.cookie="popunder=yes"
            }
            }

            function loadpopunder(){
            win2=window.open(popunder)
            win2.blur()
            window.focus()
            }

            if (once_per_session==0)
            loadpopunder()
            else
            loadornot()

            </script>

            It just opens a second window, throws it into the background, and the music
            starts playing in the background.

            because spaceport is free space, you may get some popunders

            --
            Don Passenger
            mailto:dpasseng@...
            home: http://www.iserv.net/~dpasseng
            work: http://www.grcourt.org
            > see it in action (note the content is all still on his site, I only call
            it
            > in my frame):
            >
            > http://galileo.spaceports.com/~bestfoot/slideshow/
            >
            > I think mp3 is now a good way to go for the music by the way, much more
            > compact per amount of content and windows media player for example will
            > handle it fine. Most people have a plug-in, but the idea of a link to a
            > plug in might be a good one, as Conan suggested.
            >
            > --
            > Don Passenger
            > mailto:dpasseng@...
            > home: http://www.iserv.net/~dpasseng
            > work: http://www.grcourt.org

          • Adam Weston
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 15, 2002
              I don't normally reccomend frames, but in this case I think they might help.
              You can make a frameset with a narrow frame on the left and a wide frame on
              the right (or othere configuration, whatever you like). The small frame just
              contains the embedded music, while the large frame holds the actual
              slideshow.

              This solves both problems; the music will be continuous since the small
              frame doesnt change, and the first slide will not hang waiting for the large
              .mp3 to finish loading. Additionally, the small frame can be used for other
              things like an index of the slides, forward/back controls, etc.

              -A

            • theoldpro
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 16, 2002
                Much thanks to Adam, Lotta, and Don for their able suggestions.
                When visiting southern California with your "significant other", dinner is
                on me.
                Just email a day or three in advance.

                A special thanks to Don for providing the finishing touches for the "index"
                file.

                Everything is now A-OK. Take a peek at www.theoldpro.net/seniorcenter

                Jim C. Gajniak

                > I don't normally reccomend frames, but in this case I think they might
                help.
                > You can make a frameset with a narrow frame on the left and a wide frame
                on
                > the right (or othere configuration, whatever you like). The small frame
                just
                > contains the embedded music, while the large frame holds the actual
                > slideshow.
                >
                > This solves both problems; the music will be continuous since the small
                > frame doesnt change, and the first slide will not hang waiting for the
                large
                > .mp3 to finish loading. Additionally, the small frame can be used for
                other
                > things like an index of the slides, forward/back controls, etc.
                >
                > -A

              • theoldpro
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 16, 2002
                  Hello Don,

                  One final question---
                  www.theoldpro.net/seniorcenter works with IE;
                  with NetScape Navigator 4.79, I see the slides, but I don't get the music.

                  Any ideas on this?

                  Jim C. Gajniak

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 17, 2002
                    you got this answer, correct?