Re: [NH] SlideShow

  • Don Passenger
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 15, 2002
      no actually if you load the first slide into frame one, then it will advance
      just fine in that frame using the meta refresh tag

      pop under is the technique ads are using that open a new browser window.
      the under part means that you drop it to the background

      --
      Don Passenger
      mailto:dpasseng@...
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 15, 2002
        use this as your first page:
        <head>
        <title>*** Slide Show Shell ***</title>
        </head>
        <frameset rows="90%, 10%">
        <frame src="slide1.htm" name="slides" frameborder="0" scrolling="auto" />
        <frame src="music1.htm" name="music" frameborder="0" scrolling="auto" />
        </frameset>

        <noframes>
        noframes content
        </noframes>

        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 15, 2002
          see it in action (note the content is all still on his site, I only call it
          in my frame):

          http://galileo.spaceports.com/~bestfoot/slideshow/

          I think mp3 is now a good way to go for the music by the way, much more
          compact per amount of content and windows media player for example will
          handle it fine. Most people have a plug-in, but the idea of a link to a
          plug in might be a good one, as Conan suggested.

          --
          Don Passenger
          mailto:dpasseng@...
          home: http://www.iserv.net/~dpasseng
          work: http://www.grcourt.org
        • stephen riddle
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 15, 2002
            Hi Jim, Lotta, Don,

            JIm, the music stops because it is in the same window with the first slide.
            You can choose to do different things:
            Create a new window beneath the top window which contains the music (like
            Don suggested.)
            (I note you are using an MP3, not everyone has a plug-in for it, so you
            might find a url for the plug-in download and display it using the url
            attribute in your embed element.) (The browser and OS I just happened to
            check your page with does not have the plug-in by the way, and just stopped!)
            Have your slide show be powered by JavaScript, (Not all browsers understand
            the meta/refresh thang either--and then again some folks keep JS turned off),
            keeping all the images on one page.) I have such a JavaScript slide show
            around here somewhere, which could easily be adapted for you. I'd just have
            to remember where I put it.
            {I noticed you are using large images. This is fine for those who have DSL
            or CABLE. Some of your modem-using-viewers will just barely get the image,
            or not completely get it and the page will switch on them. (JavaScript can
            monitor this.)}
            If you can edit your Mp3 files or obtain a variety of them, you could place
            a different background sound on each page. Every time the browser
            refreshes, it will start at the beginning of the music file but if that music
            file changes this will p r o b a b l y seem sensible.
            You could just leave everything the way it is now. If you did not tell
            anyone you were expecting something s l i g h t l y different, how would the
            know?

            Good luck and Keep making the music,
            Stephen
            > It finally does advance through all the slides as it is supposed to do....
            > First slide is supposed to take 30 seconds; all the rest take 10 seconds.
            > But, the music stops when the first slide ends. I want the music to
            > continue
          • Don Passenger
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 15, 2002
              Or this using pop-under (again all content is on your page still, I am just
              displaying it):

              http://galileo.spaceports.com/~bestfoot/slideshow/popunder1.htm

              I grabbed the pop-under here:

              http://www.javascriptkit.com/script/script2/popunder.shtml

              It looks like this:
              <script>

              //Pop-under window- By JavaScript Kit
              //Credit notice must stay intact for use
              //Visit http://javascriptkit.com for this script

              //specify page to pop-under
              var popunder="music1.htm"

              //Pop-under only once per browser session? (0=no, 1=yes)
              //Specifying 0 will cause popunder to load every time page is loaded
              var once_per_session=1

              ///No editing beyond here required/////

              function get_cookie(Name) {
              var search = Name + "="
              var returnvalue = "";
              if (document.cookie.length > 0) {
              offset = document.cookie.indexOf(search)
              if (offset != -1) { // if cookie exists
              offset += search.length
              // set index of beginning of value
              end = document.cookie.indexOf(";", offset);
              // set index of end of cookie value
              if (end == -1)
              end = document.cookie.length;
              returnvalue=unescape(document.cookie.substring(offset, end))
              }
              }
              return returnvalue;
              }

              function loadornot(){
              if (get_cookie('popunder')==''){
              loadpopunder()
              document.cookie="popunder=yes"
              }
              }

              function loadpopunder(){
              win2=window.open(popunder)
              win2.blur()
              window.focus()
              }

              if (once_per_session==0)
              loadpopunder()
              else
              loadornot()

              </script>

              It just opens a second window, throws it into the background, and the music
              starts playing in the background.

              because spaceport is free space, you may get some popunders

              --
              Don Passenger
              mailto:dpasseng@...
              home: http://www.iserv.net/~dpasseng
              work: http://www.grcourt.org
              > see it in action (note the content is all still on his site, I only call
              it
              > in my frame):
              >
              > http://galileo.spaceports.com/~bestfoot/slideshow/
              >
              > I think mp3 is now a good way to go for the music by the way, much more
              > compact per amount of content and windows media player for example will
              > handle it fine. Most people have a plug-in, but the idea of a link to a
              > plug in might be a good one, as Conan suggested.
              >
              > --
              > Don Passenger
              > mailto:dpasseng@...
              > home: http://www.iserv.net/~dpasseng
              > work: http://www.grcourt.org

            • Adam Weston
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 15, 2002
                I don't normally reccomend frames, but in this case I think they might help.
                You can make a frameset with a narrow frame on the left and a wide frame on
                the right (or othere configuration, whatever you like). The small frame just
                contains the embedded music, while the large frame holds the actual
                slideshow.

                This solves both problems; the music will be continuous since the small
                frame doesnt change, and the first slide will not hang waiting for the large
                .mp3 to finish loading. Additionally, the small frame can be used for other
                things like an index of the slides, forward/back controls, etc.

                -A

              • theoldpro
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 16, 2002
                  Much thanks to Adam, Lotta, and Don for their able suggestions.
                  When visiting southern California with your "significant other", dinner is
                  on me.
                  Just email a day or three in advance.

                  A special thanks to Don for providing the finishing touches for the "index"
                  file.

                  Everything is now A-OK. Take a peek at www.theoldpro.net/seniorcenter

                  Jim C. Gajniak

                  > I don't normally reccomend frames, but in this case I think they might
                  help.
                  > You can make a frameset with a narrow frame on the left and a wide frame
                  on
                  > the right (or othere configuration, whatever you like). The small frame
                  just
                  > contains the embedded music, while the large frame holds the actual
                  > slideshow.
                  >
                  > This solves both problems; the music will be continuous since the small
                  > frame doesnt change, and the first slide will not hang waiting for the
                  large
                  > .mp3 to finish loading. Additionally, the small frame can be used for
                  other
                  > things like an index of the slides, forward/back controls, etc.
                  >
                  > -A

                • theoldpro
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 16, 2002
                    Hello Don,

                    One final question---
                    www.theoldpro.net/seniorcenter works with IE;
                    with NetScape Navigator 4.79, I see the slides, but I don't get the music.

                    Any ideas on this?

                    Jim C. Gajniak

                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 17, 2002
                      you got this answer, correct?