Re: [NH] SlideShow

  • theoldpro
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 15 10:01 AM
      Thank you Lotta,

      It finally does advance through all the slides as it is supposed to do....
      First slide is supposed to take 30 seconds; all the rest take 10 seconds.
      But, the music stops when the first slide ends. I want the music to
      continue
      for about 4 or 5 minutes (the .Mp3 file has two songs in it) while the
      slides
      keep advancing. The music stops when the first slide ends.

      To Jody: Any chance that Album Express will have an update that
      will allow music to play while the slide show display all the slides?

      Jim C. Gajniak
      aka theoldpro@...

      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 15 10:18 AM
        Thank you Don for your help,

        I'm not sure what you mean when you say, "I would pop-under a new browser
        window for the music." Can you refer me to some site that utilizes the
        pop-under
        approach?

        Yes, with frames approach, the music will play throughout the entire show,
        but
        one must "click" on the thumbnail (or the current full image) to advance to
        the next photo. I guess, I'm getting
        lazy in my old age; the automatic slide advance appeals to me combined with
        continuous music.

        Thanks again,

        Jim aka theoldpro@...

        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 15 10:20 AM
          no actually if you load the first slide into frame one, then it will advance
          just fine in that frame using the meta refresh tag

          pop under is the technique ads are using that open a new browser window.
          the under part means that you drop it to the background

          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 15 10:46 AM
            use this as your first page:
            <head>
            <title>*** Slide Show Shell ***</title>
            </head>
            <frameset rows="90%, 10%">
            <frame src="slide1.htm" name="slides" frameborder="0" scrolling="auto" />
            <frame src="music1.htm" name="music" frameborder="0" scrolling="auto" />
            </frameset>

            <noframes>
            noframes content
            </noframes>

            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 15 11:01 AM
              see it in action (note the content is all still on his site, I only call it
              in my frame):

              http://galileo.spaceports.com/~bestfoot/slideshow/

              I think mp3 is now a good way to go for the music by the way, much more
              compact per amount of content and windows media player for example will
              handle it fine. Most people have a plug-in, but the idea of a link to a
              plug in might be a good one, as Conan suggested.

              --
              Don Passenger
              mailto:dpasseng@...
              home: http://www.iserv.net/~dpasseng
              work: http://www.grcourt.org
            • stephen riddle
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 15 11:06 AM
                Hi Jim, Lotta, Don,

                JIm, the music stops because it is in the same window with the first slide.
                You can choose to do different things:
                Create a new window beneath the top window which contains the music (like
                Don suggested.)
                (I note you are using an MP3, not everyone has a plug-in for it, so you
                might find a url for the plug-in download and display it using the url
                attribute in your embed element.) (The browser and OS I just happened to
                check your page with does not have the plug-in by the way, and just stopped!)
                Have your slide show be powered by JavaScript, (Not all browsers understand
                the meta/refresh thang either--and then again some folks keep JS turned off),
                keeping all the images on one page.) I have such a JavaScript slide show
                around here somewhere, which could easily be adapted for you. I'd just have
                to remember where I put it.
                {I noticed you are using large images. This is fine for those who have DSL
                or CABLE. Some of your modem-using-viewers will just barely get the image,
                or not completely get it and the page will switch on them. (JavaScript can
                monitor this.)}
                If you can edit your Mp3 files or obtain a variety of them, you could place
                a different background sound on each page. Every time the browser
                refreshes, it will start at the beginning of the music file but if that music
                file changes this will p r o b a b l y seem sensible.
                You could just leave everything the way it is now. If you did not tell
                anyone you were expecting something s l i g h t l y different, how would the
                know?

                Good luck and Keep making the music,
                Stephen
                > It finally does advance through all the slides as it is supposed to do....
                > First slide is supposed to take 30 seconds; all the rest take 10 seconds.
                > But, the music stops when the first slide ends. I want the music to
                > continue
              • Don Passenger
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 15 11:18 AM
                  Or this using pop-under (again all content is on your page still, I am just
                  displaying it):

                  http://galileo.spaceports.com/~bestfoot/slideshow/popunder1.htm

                  I grabbed the pop-under here:

                  http://www.javascriptkit.com/script/script2/popunder.shtml

                  It looks like this:
                  <script>

                  //Pop-under window- By JavaScript Kit
                  //Credit notice must stay intact for use
                  //Visit http://javascriptkit.com for this script

                  //specify page to pop-under
                  var popunder="music1.htm"

                  //Pop-under only once per browser session? (0=no, 1=yes)
                  //Specifying 0 will cause popunder to load every time page is loaded
                  var once_per_session=1

                  ///No editing beyond here required/////

                  function get_cookie(Name) {
                  var search = Name + "="
                  var returnvalue = "";
                  if (document.cookie.length > 0) {
                  offset = document.cookie.indexOf(search)
                  if (offset != -1) { // if cookie exists
                  offset += search.length
                  // set index of beginning of value
                  end = document.cookie.indexOf(";", offset);
                  // set index of end of cookie value
                  if (end == -1)
                  end = document.cookie.length;
                  returnvalue=unescape(document.cookie.substring(offset, end))
                  }
                  }
                  return returnvalue;
                  }

                  function loadornot(){
                  if (get_cookie('popunder')==''){
                  loadpopunder()
                  document.cookie="popunder=yes"
                  }
                  }

                  function loadpopunder(){
                  win2=window.open(popunder)
                  win2.blur()
                  window.focus()
                  }

                  if (once_per_session==0)
                  loadpopunder()
                  else
                  loadornot()

                  </script>

                  It just opens a second window, throws it into the background, and the music
                  starts playing in the background.

                  because spaceport is free space, you may get some popunders

                  --
                  Don Passenger
                  mailto:dpasseng@...
                  home: http://www.iserv.net/~dpasseng
                  work: http://www.grcourt.org
                  > see it in action (note the content is all still on his site, I only call
                  it
                  > in my frame):
                  >
                  > http://galileo.spaceports.com/~bestfoot/slideshow/
                  >
                  > I think mp3 is now a good way to go for the music by the way, much more
                  > compact per amount of content and windows media player for example will
                  > handle it fine. Most people have a plug-in, but the idea of a link to a
                  > plug in might be a good one, as Conan suggested.
                  >
                  > --
                  > Don Passenger
                  > mailto:dpasseng@...
                  > home: http://www.iserv.net/~dpasseng
                  > work: http://www.grcourt.org

                • Adam Weston
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 15 11:43 AM
                    I don't normally reccomend frames, but in this case I think they might help.
                    You can make a frameset with a narrow frame on the left and a wide frame on
                    the right (or othere configuration, whatever you like). The small frame just
                    contains the embedded music, while the large frame holds the actual
                    slideshow.

                    This solves both problems; the music will be continuous since the small
                    frame doesnt change, and the first slide will not hang waiting for the large
                    .mp3 to finish loading. Additionally, the small frame can be used for other
                    things like an index of the slides, forward/back controls, etc.

                    -A

                  • theoldpro
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 16 12:29 AM
                      Much thanks to Adam, Lotta, and Don for their able suggestions.
                      When visiting southern California with your "significant other", dinner is
                      on me.
                      Just email a day or three in advance.

                      A special thanks to Don for providing the finishing touches for the "index"
                      file.

                      Everything is now A-OK. Take a peek at www.theoldpro.net/seniorcenter

                      Jim C. Gajniak

                      > I don't normally reccomend frames, but in this case I think they might
                      help.
                      > You can make a frameset with a narrow frame on the left and a wide frame
                      on
                      > the right (or othere configuration, whatever you like). The small frame
                      just
                      > contains the embedded music, while the large frame holds the actual
                      > slideshow.
                      >
                      > This solves both problems; the music will be continuous since the small
                      > frame doesnt change, and the first slide will not hang waiting for the
                      large
                      > .mp3 to finish loading. Additionally, the small frame can be used for
                      other
                      > things like an index of the slides, forward/back controls, etc.
                      >
                      > -A

                    • theoldpro
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 16 2:18 AM
                        Hello Don,

                        One final question---
                        www.theoldpro.net/seniorcenter works with IE;
                        with NetScape Navigator 4.79, I see the slides, but I don't get the music.

                        Any ideas on this?

                        Jim C. Gajniak

                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 17 12:20 PM
                          you got this answer, correct?