Re: [NH] SlideShow

  • Don Passenger
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 15, 2002
      I think the problem is that slide one doesn't complete loading until the
      music is done. So it sits for a long time. I would pop-under a new browser
      window for the music and let it play in that window. Only put the images in
      the visable window. Get out the Paul McFedries javascript book and go to
      work.

      You might also try frames with the music in one frame and the slide show in
      another frame.

      --
      Don Passenger
      mailto:dpasseng@...
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 15, 2002
        Thank you Lotta,

        It finally does advance through all the slides as it is supposed to do....
        First slide is supposed to take 30 seconds; all the rest take 10 seconds.
        But, the music stops when the first slide ends. I want the music to
        continue
        for about 4 or 5 minutes (the .Mp3 file has two songs in it) while the
        slides
        keep advancing. The music stops when the first slide ends.

        To Jody: Any chance that Album Express will have an update that
        will allow music to play while the slide show display all the slides?

        Jim C. Gajniak
        aka theoldpro@...

        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 15, 2002
          Thank you Don for your help,

          I'm not sure what you mean when you say, "I would pop-under a new browser
          window for the music." Can you refer me to some site that utilizes the
          pop-under
          approach?

          Yes, with frames approach, the music will play throughout the entire show,
          but
          one must "click" on the thumbnail (or the current full image) to advance to
          the next photo. I guess, I'm getting
          lazy in my old age; the automatic slide advance appeals to me combined with
          continuous music.

          Thanks again,

          Jim aka theoldpro@...

          > I think the problem is that slide one doesn't complete loading until the
          > music is done. So it sits for a long time. I would pop-under a new
          browser
          > window for the music and let it play in that window. Only put the images
          in
          > the visable window. Get out the Paul McFedries javascript book and go to
          > work.
          >
          > You might also try frames with the music in one frame and the slide show
          in
          > another frame.
          >
          > --
          > Don Passenger
          > mailto:dpasseng@...
          > home: http://www.iserv.net/~dpasseng
          > work: http://www.grcourt.org

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Don Passenger
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 15, 2002
            no actually if you load the first slide into frame one, then it will advance
            just fine in that frame using the meta refresh tag

            pop under is the technique ads are using that open a new browser window.
            the under part means that you drop it to the background

            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 15, 2002
              use this as your first page:
              <head>
              <title>*** Slide Show Shell ***</title>
              </head>
              <frameset rows="90%, 10%">
              <frame src="slide1.htm" name="slides" frameborder="0" scrolling="auto" />
              <frame src="music1.htm" name="music" frameborder="0" scrolling="auto" />
              </frameset>

              <noframes>
              noframes content
              </noframes>

              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 15, 2002
                see it in action (note the content is all still on his site, I only call it
                in my frame):

                http://galileo.spaceports.com/~bestfoot/slideshow/

                I think mp3 is now a good way to go for the music by the way, much more
                compact per amount of content and windows media player for example will
                handle it fine. Most people have a plug-in, but the idea of a link to a
                plug in might be a good one, as Conan suggested.

                --
                Don Passenger
                mailto:dpasseng@...
                home: http://www.iserv.net/~dpasseng
                work: http://www.grcourt.org
              • stephen riddle
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 15, 2002
                  Hi Jim, Lotta, Don,

                  JIm, the music stops because it is in the same window with the first slide.
                  You can choose to do different things:
                  Create a new window beneath the top window which contains the music (like
                  Don suggested.)
                  (I note you are using an MP3, not everyone has a plug-in for it, so you
                  might find a url for the plug-in download and display it using the url
                  attribute in your embed element.) (The browser and OS I just happened to
                  check your page with does not have the plug-in by the way, and just stopped!)
                  Have your slide show be powered by JavaScript, (Not all browsers understand
                  the meta/refresh thang either--and then again some folks keep JS turned off),
                  keeping all the images on one page.) I have such a JavaScript slide show
                  around here somewhere, which could easily be adapted for you. I'd just have
                  to remember where I put it.
                  {I noticed you are using large images. This is fine for those who have DSL
                  or CABLE. Some of your modem-using-viewers will just barely get the image,
                  or not completely get it and the page will switch on them. (JavaScript can
                  monitor this.)}
                  If you can edit your Mp3 files or obtain a variety of them, you could place
                  a different background sound on each page. Every time the browser
                  refreshes, it will start at the beginning of the music file but if that music
                  file changes this will p r o b a b l y seem sensible.
                  You could just leave everything the way it is now. If you did not tell
                  anyone you were expecting something s l i g h t l y different, how would the
                  know?

                  Good luck and Keep making the music,
                  Stephen
                  > It finally does advance through all the slides as it is supposed to do....
                  > First slide is supposed to take 30 seconds; all the rest take 10 seconds.
                  > But, the music stops when the first slide ends. I want the music to
                  > continue
                • Don Passenger
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 15, 2002
                    Or this using pop-under (again all content is on your page still, I am just
                    displaying it):

                    http://galileo.spaceports.com/~bestfoot/slideshow/popunder1.htm

                    I grabbed the pop-under here:

                    http://www.javascriptkit.com/script/script2/popunder.shtml

                    It looks like this:
                    <script>

                    //Pop-under window- By JavaScript Kit
                    //Credit notice must stay intact for use
                    //Visit http://javascriptkit.com for this script

                    //specify page to pop-under
                    var popunder="music1.htm"

                    //Pop-under only once per browser session? (0=no, 1=yes)
                    //Specifying 0 will cause popunder to load every time page is loaded
                    var once_per_session=1

                    ///No editing beyond here required/////

                    function get_cookie(Name) {
                    var search = Name + "="
                    var returnvalue = "";
                    if (document.cookie.length > 0) {
                    offset = document.cookie.indexOf(search)
                    if (offset != -1) { // if cookie exists
                    offset += search.length
                    // set index of beginning of value
                    end = document.cookie.indexOf(";", offset);
                    // set index of end of cookie value
                    if (end == -1)
                    end = document.cookie.length;
                    returnvalue=unescape(document.cookie.substring(offset, end))
                    }
                    }
                    return returnvalue;
                    }

                    function loadornot(){
                    if (get_cookie('popunder')==''){
                    loadpopunder()
                    document.cookie="popunder=yes"
                    }
                    }

                    function loadpopunder(){
                    win2=window.open(popunder)
                    win2.blur()
                    window.focus()
                    }

                    if (once_per_session==0)
                    loadpopunder()
                    else
                    loadornot()

                    </script>

                    It just opens a second window, throws it into the background, and the music
                    starts playing in the background.

                    because spaceport is free space, you may get some popunders

                    --
                    Don Passenger
                    mailto:dpasseng@...
                    home: http://www.iserv.net/~dpasseng
                    work: http://www.grcourt.org
                    > see it in action (note the content is all still on his site, I only call
                    it
                    > in my frame):
                    >
                    > http://galileo.spaceports.com/~bestfoot/slideshow/
                    >
                    > I think mp3 is now a good way to go for the music by the way, much more
                    > compact per amount of content and windows media player for example will
                    > handle it fine. Most people have a plug-in, but the idea of a link to a
                    > plug in might be a good one, as Conan suggested.
                    >
                    > --
                    > Don Passenger
                    > mailto:dpasseng@...
                    > home: http://www.iserv.net/~dpasseng
                    > work: http://www.grcourt.org

                  • Adam Weston
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 15, 2002
                      I don't normally reccomend frames, but in this case I think they might help.
                      You can make a frameset with a narrow frame on the left and a wide frame on
                      the right (or othere configuration, whatever you like). The small frame just
                      contains the embedded music, while the large frame holds the actual
                      slideshow.

                      This solves both problems; the music will be continuous since the small
                      frame doesnt change, and the first slide will not hang waiting for the large
                      .mp3 to finish loading. Additionally, the small frame can be used for other
                      things like an index of the slides, forward/back controls, etc.

                      -A

                    • theoldpro
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 16, 2002
                        Much thanks to Adam, Lotta, and Don for their able suggestions.
                        When visiting southern California with your "significant other", dinner is
                        on me.
                        Just email a day or three in advance.

                        A special thanks to Don for providing the finishing touches for the "index"
                        file.

                        Everything is now A-OK. Take a peek at www.theoldpro.net/seniorcenter

                        Jim C. Gajniak

                        > I don't normally reccomend frames, but in this case I think they might
                        help.
                        > You can make a frameset with a narrow frame on the left and a wide frame
                        on
                        > the right (or othere configuration, whatever you like). The small frame
                        just
                        > contains the embedded music, while the large frame holds the actual
                        > slideshow.
                        >
                        > This solves both problems; the music will be continuous since the small
                        > frame doesnt change, and the first slide will not hang waiting for the
                        large
                        > .mp3 to finish loading. Additionally, the small frame can be used for
                        other
                        > things like an index of the slides, forward/back controls, etc.
                        >
                        > -A

                      • theoldpro
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 16, 2002
                          Hello Don,

                          One final question---
                          www.theoldpro.net/seniorcenter works with IE;
                          with NetScape Navigator 4.79, I see the slides, but I don't get the music.

                          Any ideas on this?

                          Jim C. Gajniak

                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 17, 2002
                            you got this answer, correct?