Re: [NH] SlideShow

  • Lotta
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 15, 2002
      >I've put together a slide show at www.theoldpro.net/seniorcenter
      <snip>
      >Problem: The first slide, index.html, never advances at all.

      Jim, it works fine from here. IE, NS4 and Moz. In Opera the script doesn't
      work but the fist page display fine. Maybe you have an old, not working
      version cached?

      Lotta
    • Don Passenger
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 15, 2002
        I think the problem is that slide one doesn't complete loading until the
        music is done. So it sits for a long time. I would pop-under a new browser
        window for the music and let it play in that window. Only put the images in
        the visable window. Get out the Paul McFedries javascript book and go to
        work.

        You might also try frames with the music in one frame and the slide show in
        another frame.

        --
        Don Passenger
        mailto:dpasseng@...
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 15, 2002
          Thank you Lotta,

          It finally does advance through all the slides as it is supposed to do....
          First slide is supposed to take 30 seconds; all the rest take 10 seconds.
          But, the music stops when the first slide ends. I want the music to
          continue
          for about 4 or 5 minutes (the .Mp3 file has two songs in it) while the
          slides
          keep advancing. The music stops when the first slide ends.

          To Jody: Any chance that Album Express will have an update that
          will allow music to play while the slide show display all the slides?

          Jim C. Gajniak
          aka theoldpro@...

          > >Problem: The first slide, index.html, never advances at all.
          >
          > Jim, it works fine from here. IE, NS4 and Moz. In Opera the script doesn't
          > work but the fist page display fine. Maybe you have an old, not working
          > version cached?
          >
          > Lotta

        • theoldpro
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 15, 2002
            Thank you Don for your help,

            I'm not sure what you mean when you say, "I would pop-under a new browser
            window for the music." Can you refer me to some site that utilizes the
            pop-under
            approach?

            Yes, with frames approach, the music will play throughout the entire show,
            but
            one must "click" on the thumbnail (or the current full image) to advance to
            the next photo. I guess, I'm getting
            lazy in my old age; the automatic slide advance appeals to me combined with
            continuous music.

            Thanks again,

            Jim aka theoldpro@...

            > I think the problem is that slide one doesn't complete loading until the
            > music is done. So it sits for a long time. I would pop-under a new
            browser
            > window for the music and let it play in that window. Only put the images
            in
            > the visable window. Get out the Paul McFedries javascript book and go to
            > work.
            >
            > You might also try frames with the music in one frame and the slide show
            in
            > another frame.
            >
            > --
            > Don Passenger
            > mailto:dpasseng@...
            > home: http://www.iserv.net/~dpasseng
            > work: http://www.grcourt.org

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Don Passenger
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 15, 2002
              no actually if you load the first slide into frame one, then it will advance
              just fine in that frame using the meta refresh tag

              pop under is the technique ads are using that open a new browser window.
              the under part means that you drop it to the background

              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 15, 2002
                use this as your first page:
                <head>
                <title>*** Slide Show Shell ***</title>
                </head>
                <frameset rows="90%, 10%">
                <frame src="slide1.htm" name="slides" frameborder="0" scrolling="auto" />
                <frame src="music1.htm" name="music" frameborder="0" scrolling="auto" />
                </frameset>

                <noframes>
                noframes content
                </noframes>

                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 15, 2002
                  see it in action (note the content is all still on his site, I only call it
                  in my frame):

                  http://galileo.spaceports.com/~bestfoot/slideshow/

                  I think mp3 is now a good way to go for the music by the way, much more
                  compact per amount of content and windows media player for example will
                  handle it fine. Most people have a plug-in, but the idea of a link to a
                  plug in might be a good one, as Conan suggested.

                  --
                  Don Passenger
                  mailto:dpasseng@...
                  home: http://www.iserv.net/~dpasseng
                  work: http://www.grcourt.org
                • stephen riddle
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 15, 2002
                    Hi Jim, Lotta, Don,

                    JIm, the music stops because it is in the same window with the first slide.
                    You can choose to do different things:
                    Create a new window beneath the top window which contains the music (like
                    Don suggested.)
                    (I note you are using an MP3, not everyone has a plug-in for it, so you
                    might find a url for the plug-in download and display it using the url
                    attribute in your embed element.) (The browser and OS I just happened to
                    check your page with does not have the plug-in by the way, and just stopped!)
                    Have your slide show be powered by JavaScript, (Not all browsers understand
                    the meta/refresh thang either--and then again some folks keep JS turned off),
                    keeping all the images on one page.) I have such a JavaScript slide show
                    around here somewhere, which could easily be adapted for you. I'd just have
                    to remember where I put it.
                    {I noticed you are using large images. This is fine for those who have DSL
                    or CABLE. Some of your modem-using-viewers will just barely get the image,
                    or not completely get it and the page will switch on them. (JavaScript can
                    monitor this.)}
                    If you can edit your Mp3 files or obtain a variety of them, you could place
                    a different background sound on each page. Every time the browser
                    refreshes, it will start at the beginning of the music file but if that music
                    file changes this will p r o b a b l y seem sensible.
                    You could just leave everything the way it is now. If you did not tell
                    anyone you were expecting something s l i g h t l y different, how would the
                    know?

                    Good luck and Keep making the music,
                    Stephen
                    > It finally does advance through all the slides as it is supposed to do....
                    > First slide is supposed to take 30 seconds; all the rest take 10 seconds.
                    > But, the music stops when the first slide ends. I want the music to
                    > continue
                  • Don Passenger
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 15, 2002
                      Or this using pop-under (again all content is on your page still, I am just
                      displaying it):

                      http://galileo.spaceports.com/~bestfoot/slideshow/popunder1.htm

                      I grabbed the pop-under here:

                      http://www.javascriptkit.com/script/script2/popunder.shtml

                      It looks like this:
                      <script>

                      //Pop-under window- By JavaScript Kit
                      //Credit notice must stay intact for use
                      //Visit http://javascriptkit.com for this script

                      //specify page to pop-under
                      var popunder="music1.htm"

                      //Pop-under only once per browser session? (0=no, 1=yes)
                      //Specifying 0 will cause popunder to load every time page is loaded
                      var once_per_session=1

                      ///No editing beyond here required/////

                      function get_cookie(Name) {
                      var search = Name + "="
                      var returnvalue = "";
                      if (document.cookie.length > 0) {
                      offset = document.cookie.indexOf(search)
                      if (offset != -1) { // if cookie exists
                      offset += search.length
                      // set index of beginning of value
                      end = document.cookie.indexOf(";", offset);
                      // set index of end of cookie value
                      if (end == -1)
                      end = document.cookie.length;
                      returnvalue=unescape(document.cookie.substring(offset, end))
                      }
                      }
                      return returnvalue;
                      }

                      function loadornot(){
                      if (get_cookie('popunder')==''){
                      loadpopunder()
                      document.cookie="popunder=yes"
                      }
                      }

                      function loadpopunder(){
                      win2=window.open(popunder)
                      win2.blur()
                      window.focus()
                      }

                      if (once_per_session==0)
                      loadpopunder()
                      else
                      loadornot()

                      </script>

                      It just opens a second window, throws it into the background, and the music
                      starts playing in the background.

                      because spaceport is free space, you may get some popunders

                      --
                      Don Passenger
                      mailto:dpasseng@...
                      home: http://www.iserv.net/~dpasseng
                      work: http://www.grcourt.org
                      > see it in action (note the content is all still on his site, I only call
                      it
                      > in my frame):
                      >
                      > http://galileo.spaceports.com/~bestfoot/slideshow/
                      >
                      > I think mp3 is now a good way to go for the music by the way, much more
                      > compact per amount of content and windows media player for example will
                      > handle it fine. Most people have a plug-in, but the idea of a link to a
                      > plug in might be a good one, as Conan suggested.
                      >
                      > --
                      > Don Passenger
                      > mailto:dpasseng@...
                      > home: http://www.iserv.net/~dpasseng
                      > work: http://www.grcourt.org

                    • Adam Weston
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 15, 2002
                        I don't normally reccomend frames, but in this case I think they might help.
                        You can make a frameset with a narrow frame on the left and a wide frame on
                        the right (or othere configuration, whatever you like). The small frame just
                        contains the embedded music, while the large frame holds the actual
                        slideshow.

                        This solves both problems; the music will be continuous since the small
                        frame doesnt change, and the first slide will not hang waiting for the large
                        .mp3 to finish loading. Additionally, the small frame can be used for other
                        things like an index of the slides, forward/back controls, etc.

                        -A

                      • theoldpro
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 16, 2002
                          Much thanks to Adam, Lotta, and Don for their able suggestions.
                          When visiting southern California with your "significant other", dinner is
                          on me.
                          Just email a day or three in advance.

                          A special thanks to Don for providing the finishing touches for the "index"
                          file.

                          Everything is now A-OK. Take a peek at www.theoldpro.net/seniorcenter

                          Jim C. Gajniak

                          > I don't normally reccomend frames, but in this case I think they might
                          help.
                          > You can make a frameset with a narrow frame on the left and a wide frame
                          on
                          > the right (or othere configuration, whatever you like). The small frame
                          just
                          > contains the embedded music, while the large frame holds the actual
                          > slideshow.
                          >
                          > This solves both problems; the music will be continuous since the small
                          > frame doesnt change, and the first slide will not hang waiting for the
                          large
                          > .mp3 to finish loading. Additionally, the small frame can be used for
                          other
                          > things like an index of the slides, forward/back controls, etc.
                          >
                          > -A

                        • theoldpro
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 16, 2002
                            Hello Don,

                            One final question---
                            www.theoldpro.net/seniorcenter works with IE;
                            with NetScape Navigator 4.79, I see the slides, but I don't get the music.

                            Any ideas on this?

                            Jim C. Gajniak

                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 17, 2002
                              you got this answer, correct?