Re: [NH] Re: question about View in Browser command

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2002
      Hi John & Michael,

      Look in NetScape's Preferences... (under the Edit menu in v4.7)
      and click on the Navigator section. Check the option to start with
      blank page.

      >When I want to preview the web page I'm working on in Netscape
      >4.0, which to NoteTab is my "other browser", the first time it
      >fires up Netscape it goes to my Netscape home page just as your
      >does.

      >> I installed Netscape 6.2.1 yesterday and use it *and* IE to
      >> verify web pages I'm working on. When I tried using View in
      >> Browser (F8) to view the file I was editing, NoteTab opened
      >> Netscape but displayed my home page. I don't understand why.

      http://www.notetab.net

      Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
    • Michael Frascinella
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 6, 2002
        John and Jody,

        Sorry but neither suggestions worked. Notetab was still opening Netscape
        to the home page or the blank page. This may be a problem inherent in
        Netscape 6.x.

        I did come up with a workaround. I removed the reference to Netscape and
        IE from the Internet Options tab page. Surprise! F8 opened the current
        html page in Netscape, Shift F8 did nothing. I'm not sure how Notetab
        found Netscape.

        Then I added the path to IE in the Other Browser field and Shift F8
        opened the page in a full screen version of IE. So now I can open in
        both browsers but Notetab is opening *new* browsers windows each time I
        use View in Browser or View in Other Browser.

        This is usable but I have to keep shutting the extra windows. Maybe I
        should be asking this:
        What is the designed behavior? The help file says that Notetab somehow
        detects the main browser and "uses that instance."

        BTW, getting this posted took several tries. Yahoo kept complaining that
        the e-mail address I previously verified was not subscribed to the
        group. This is most confusing.

        Yours,

        Michael F.
        SDI/New England

        ***************************
        Remember September 11, 2001
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 7, 2002
          Hi Michael,

          >I did come up with a workaround. I removed the reference to
          >Netscape and IE from the Internet Options tab page. Surprise! F8
          >opened the current html page in Netscape, Shift F8 did nothing.
          >I'm not sure how Notetab found Netscape.

          Netscape must be your default browser. That is what NoteTab
          defaults to when no browser is configured in Options | Internet |
          Main Browser. Shift F8 only works when you have a second browser
          configured.

          >Then I added the path to IE in the Other Browser field and Shift
          >F8 opened the page in a full screen version of IE. So now I can
          >open in both browsers but Notetab is opening *new* browsers
          >windows each time I use View in Browser or View in Other Browser.

          Look in NoteTab's ini file and see if you have "NewBrowserWindow"
          set to a one. I have NetScape 4.7 in my Main Browser and Opera
          in my Other Browser. Neither opens an extra instance.

          >What is the designed behavior? The help file says that Notetab
          >somehow detects the main browser and "uses that instance."

          "Main Browser: When left blank, NoteTab can detect if the default
          browser (Internet Explorer, Netscape, or Opera) is already open
          and use that instance. You can specify another browser if you do
          not want to launch the default one."