question about View in Browser command

  • Michael Frascinella
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 27, 2002
      Hi,

      I installed Netscape 6.2.1 yesterday and use it *and* IE to verify web
      pages I'm working on.
      When I tried using View in Browser (F8) to view the file I was editing,
      NoteTab opened Netscape but displayed my home page. I don't understand why.

      I checked the Options dialog and, on the Internet tab, set Netscape as
      the Main Browser. I also saw something on the HTML Files tab about
      Server Name and Path but couldn't get it set properly. (The online help
      was not quite clear enough to me to help figure out what I should enter;
      I'm displaying files on the C drive.)

      Yours,
      Michael F
    • john041650
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 28, 2002
        Hello Michael,

        Since no one better qualified to answer this has jumped in yet, I'll give you my 2 cents worth..

        When I want to preview the web page I'm working on in Netscape 4.0, which to NoteTab is my "other browser", the first time it fires up Netscape it goes to my Netscape home page just as your does.. However, if I go right back to NoteTab again and do TOOLS/OTHER BROWSER again, then Netscape jumps to the page I'm editing in NoteTab..

        John :)

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2002
          Hi John & Michael,

          Look in NetScape's Preferences... (under the Edit menu in v4.7)
          and click on the Navigator section. Check the option to start with
          blank page.

          >When I want to preview the web page I'm working on in Netscape
          >4.0, which to NoteTab is my "other browser", the first time it
          >fires up Netscape it goes to my Netscape home page just as your
          >does.

          >> I installed Netscape 6.2.1 yesterday and use it *and* IE to
          >> verify web pages I'm working on. When I tried using View in
          >> Browser (F8) to view the file I was editing, NoteTab opened
          >> Netscape but displayed my home page. I don't understand why.

          http://www.notetab.net

          Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
        • Michael Frascinella
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 6, 2002
            John and Jody,

            Sorry but neither suggestions worked. Notetab was still opening Netscape
            to the home page or the blank page. This may be a problem inherent in
            Netscape 6.x.

            I did come up with a workaround. I removed the reference to Netscape and
            IE from the Internet Options tab page. Surprise! F8 opened the current
            html page in Netscape, Shift F8 did nothing. I'm not sure how Notetab
            found Netscape.

            Then I added the path to IE in the Other Browser field and Shift F8
            opened the page in a full screen version of IE. So now I can open in
            both browsers but Notetab is opening *new* browsers windows each time I
            use View in Browser or View in Other Browser.

            This is usable but I have to keep shutting the extra windows. Maybe I
            should be asking this:
            What is the designed behavior? The help file says that Notetab somehow
            detects the main browser and "uses that instance."

            BTW, getting this posted took several tries. Yahoo kept complaining that
            the e-mail address I previously verified was not subscribed to the
            group. This is most confusing.

            Yours,

            Michael F.
            SDI/New England

            ***************************
            Remember September 11, 2001
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 7, 2002
              Hi Michael,

              >I did come up with a workaround. I removed the reference to
              >Netscape and IE from the Internet Options tab page. Surprise! F8
              >opened the current html page in Netscape, Shift F8 did nothing.
              >I'm not sure how Notetab found Netscape.

              Netscape must be your default browser. That is what NoteTab
              defaults to when no browser is configured in Options | Internet |
              Main Browser. Shift F8 only works when you have a second browser
              configured.

              >Then I added the path to IE in the Other Browser field and Shift
              >F8 opened the page in a full screen version of IE. So now I can
              >open in both browsers but Notetab is opening *new* browsers
              >windows each time I use View in Browser or View in Other Browser.

              Look in NoteTab's ini file and see if you have "NewBrowserWindow"
              set to a one. I have NetScape 4.7 in my Main Browser and Opera
              in my Other Browser. Neither opens an extra instance.

              >What is the designed behavior? The help file says that Notetab
              >somehow detects the main browser and "uses that instance."

              "Main Browser: When left blank, NoteTab can detect if the default
              browser (Internet Explorer, Netscape, or Opera) is already open
              and use that instance. You can specify another browser if you do
              not want to launch the default one."