Re: [NH] print

  • ARTIS
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 26, 2002
      Hi Hugo, sorry I was refering to Netscape Comunicator. I simply include my
      STYLE in the header of each page. If you or anyone will have a look at an
      example at http://www.shopin.co.nz/index.htm and let me know if I'm doing
      something wrong, be most grateful,
      Neil
      ps.. do I need something like the line you provided.. LINK=

      hpaulissen wrote:

      > > I am using NC 4.5 with text size set in style sheet, but printing
      > > through browser print option, sizes are ignored. Is this normal.
      > Am I
      > > missing something?
      > > Any help
      > > Neil
      >
      > Hi Neil,
      >
      > NC 4.5 - Is that NetCaptor? I don't use that, so I cannot give you
      > any advise on that.
      >
      > I'm not sure, but maybe your stylesheet(s) are linked to certain
      > media only ? ...
      >
      > <LINK REL=StyleSheet HREF="print.css" TYPE="text/css" MEDIA=print>
      > <LINK REL=StyleSheet HREF="esst2.css" TYPE="text/css" MEDIA=screen>
      >
      > Hugo

    • ARTIS
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 27, 2002
        Lotta wrote:

        > I don't know if this affects your printing problem, but I'm wondering if
        > you have looked at the page in another browser? If you intend the text to
        > be the size you see in Netscape I'm afraid I must tell you the main text is
        > itsy-bitsy in other browsers. Because of a bug in Netscape4x the font-size
        > for body doesn't inherit into tables.........

        Looks fine in Netscape, Lotta, as I set the main text for body, p, and td.
        Unfortunately I am not able to view it in other browsers at present.
        Thanks for the input
        Neil

      • ARTIS
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 27, 2002
          hpaulissen wrote:

          > That's what I used to do as well, until I found out about the MEDIA
          > property....

          Can you tell me more about the MEDIA property, as regards printing web pages,
          or point me to where I can read about it, hpaulissen

          > Neil

        • hpaulissen
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 27, 2002

            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 27, 2002
              Ah! thank you Lotta, I understand. So, if I change my font sizes to "px" for body,
              p and td this should remedy Netscapes problem and still make sense to other
              browsers. Is this correct?
              Neil
              ps can you explain what DEFANGED is about?
              Ta.

              Lotta wrote:

              > >Looks fine in Netscape, Lotta, as I set the main text for body, p, and td.
              > >Unfortunately I am not able to view it in other browsers at present.
              >
              > Yes, that's what I meant. It looks good in Netscape. Unfortunately Netscape
              > gets it wrong. The browsers that get it right shows very small text for
              > your paragraphs. I've never printed from Netscape so I don't know how/if
              > this affects it.
              >
              > You have this rule:
              > body, p, td {font-family: verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 75%;}
              >
              > A percentage value for font size is relative the font size of the parent
              > element. Not the browser's default size. So what you are saying here is:
              >
              > Make text in BODY 75% of the browser's default font size.
              > Make text in TD 75% if the text size in BODY. Which means (0.75*0.75) 52%
              > of the browser's default size.
              > Make text in a P within a TD (0.75*0.75*075) 42% of the browser's default size.
              >
              > And that's how more modern browsers display it. A bug in Netscape4.x causes
              > properties to (mostly) not be inherited into tables. So in Netscape the
              > font size in your paragraphs is 52% while it in other browsers is 42%.
              > That's small. ;)
              >
              > You can see this even in Netscape4x if you try the following. The text size
              > in each DIV will be 75% of the size of the parent DIV.
              >
              > <head>
              > <title></title>
              > <!-- <DEFANGED_STYLE type="text/css">
              > <!--
              > div { font-size: 75% }
              > -->
              > --> </DEFANGED_STYLE>
              > </head>

              > Yadda yadda
              > Yadda yadda
              > Yadda yadda

              > Lotta

            • ARTIS
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 27, 2002
                .........John & Lotta
                Thanks John, I have had a wee look and bookmarked media.htm for ... soon...
                Thanks Lotta, looks OK eh, if only you could read it!!!!!!!
                Yes I did change that page, several others to do too, when I get my head around
                which is the best option. Might put them in px for meantime. Other work calling
                right now....
                Cheers
                Neil

              • ARTIS
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 27, 2002
                  Lotta, I haven't gone yet...
                  Just reread your suggestion about puting all in p, setting the basic % or em
                  size there. And I am familiar with using classes for snips inbetween. Do you
                  think it is better to go that way than use a fixed size like pixels? I'm one of
                  these people who likes to know why then bingo! If you have the time.
                  Ta
                  Neil

                • john041650
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 27, 2002
                    Hi Neil,

                    IMHO Getting an html document to print consistently on all machines viewing it, is about like trying to catch a greased pig.. No matter what you do in your CSS or html, it comes down to the browser and computer configuration of the machine looking at the web page.

                    When I want to make a web page printable, I do one of two things.. 1. I create a second version of that page that is stripped of all excess graphics and colors, and put a link to it called "Click here for a printable version of this page".. 2. Or I'll convert the html page into an Adobe Acrobat document.

                    John

                    --- In ntb-html@y..., ARTIS <artis@a...> wrote:
                    > Hi Hugo, sorry I was refering to Netscape Comunicator. I simply include my
                    > STYLE in the header of each page. If you or anyone will have a look at an
                    > example at http://www.shopin.co.nz/index.htm and let me know if I'm doing
                    > something wrong, be most grateful,
                    > Neil
                    > ps.. do I need something like the line you provided.. LINK=
                    >
                    > hpaulissen wrote:
                    >
                    > > > I am using NC 4.5 with text size set in style sheet, but printing
                    > > > through browser print option, sizes are ignored. Is this normal.
                    > > Am I
                    > > > missing something?
                    > > > Any help
                    > > > Neil
                    > >
                    > > Hi Neil,
                    > >
                    > > NC 4.5 - Is that NetCaptor? I don't use that, so I cannot give you
                    > > any advise on that.
                    > >
                    > > I'm not sure, but maybe your stylesheet(s) are linked to certain
                    > > media only ? ...
                    > >
                    > > <LINK REL=StyleSheet HREF="print.css" TYPE="text/css" MEDIA=print>
                    > > <LINK REL=StyleSheet HREF="esst2.css" TYPE="text/css" MEDIA=screen>
                    > >
                    > > Hugo

                  • Lotta
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 27, 2002
                      Hi Niel,

                      >I am using NC 4.5 with text size set in style sheet, but printing
                      >through browser print option, sizes are ignored. Is this normal. Am I
                      >missing something?

                      I don't know if this affects your printing problem, but I'm wondering if
                      you have looked at the page in another browser? If you intend the text to
                      be the size you see in Netscape I'm afraid I must tell you the main text is
                      itsy-bitsy in other browsers. Because of a bug in Netscape4x the font-size
                      for body doesn't inherit into tables. I'm sorry if I'm barking up the wrong
                      tree and this is how you intend it to be. If not, just holler if you want
                      the long story. ;)

                      Lotta
                    • ARTIS
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 27, 2002
                        Thanks Lotta,
                        The pixel sizing didn't fix the print problem but I'm having some success with
                        printing using "@media print", from the link John gave me -
                        http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/media.html
                        Neil

                        > Ouch! I don't know if a dare to answer this. It's a topic that causes WAR
                        > on some lists...

                      • hpaulissen
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 27, 2002
                          Neil,

                          >ps.. do I need something like the line you provided.. LINK=

                          I just saw you use an internal stylesheet, and then the answer is No,
                          but if you're working with external stylesheets you should use
                          something like ...

                          <head>
                          <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="style.css">
                          </head>

                          Looking at your page I couldn't really find what your problem exactly
                          is...

                          Sorry,

                          Hugo
                        • hpaulissen
                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 27, 2002
                            Hi john041650,

                            > When I want to make a web page printable, I do one of two things..
                            1. I create a second version of that page that is stripped of all
                            excess graphics and colors, and put a link to it called "Click here
                            for a printable version of this page"..

                            That's what I used to do as well, until I found out about the MEDIA
                            property. You can set your own rules (fonts, size, width etc.) for
                            different media, and (more interesting, leave complete secions out of
                            the page that needs to be printed, such as navigation elements); in
                            other words: I have quite some control over what will be sent to the
                            printer. I've seen an example that linked to a .DOC-file in the HREF -
                            which comes down to redirecting the print to a WORD-file.

                            I know, I do rely heavily on users with CSS-capable browsers, but in
                            my situation I know most of the visitors to websites I create have a
                            recent version of IE.

                            Regards,

                            Hugo

                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 27, 2002

                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 27, 2002
                                Niel,

                                >Ah! thank you Lotta, I understand. So, if I change my font sizes to "px"
                                >for body,
                                >p and td this should remedy Netscapes problem and still make sense to other
                                >browsers. Is this correct?

                                Yes, but you can still use %. Personally I use em a lot (which is in
                                practice the same as % when it comes to font sizes). I almost always have
                                text in paragraphs, so for me it's easy. I set the size for P (and headings
                                and so on of course). It's no problem to use % for a snip within a P as
                                long as one keeps in mind that it's now relative the size one has already
                                given the P.

                                The trick is to never by mistake set a size in % or em for two elements of
                                which one is the others parent . Find the lowest common denominator. (Geez,
                                did that even make sense?)

                                Another solution is to use classes. This would work for instance
                                (assuming what you _really_ want is 75%).

                                .smaller { font-size: 75% }

                                Yadda yadda
                                Yadda yadda</p>

                                I'll send you a screen shot of your page as I see it. Oh, and please tell
                                us if this affects how the page prints. It would be interesting to know
                                (and to lazy to do it myself).

                                Lotta
                              • john041650
                                Message 15 of 19 , Feb 27, 2002
                                  Excellent point there Hugo.. As I rarely have to be concerned about printing one of my web pages, I hadn't looked into that option before.. But I can certainly see the usefulness of this, especially with the newer browsers.. I've just now rewritten my clip for linking to external stylesheets to include a media choice, thanks..

                                  By the way, you can disregard the email I sent you earlier, I figured out what I was asking you..

                                  John :)

                                  --- In ntb-html@y..., "hpaulissen" <h.paulissen@f...> wrote:
                                  > That's what I used to do as well, until I found out about the MEDIA
                                  > property. You can set your own rules (fonts, size, width etc.) for
                                  > different media, and (more interesting, leave complete secions out of
                                  > the page that needs to be printed, such as navigation elements); in
                                  > other words: I have quite some control over what will be sent to the
                                  > printer. I've seen an example that linked to a .DOC-file in the HREF -
                                  > which comes down to redirecting the print to a WORD-file.
                                  >
                                  > I know, I do rely heavily on users with CSS-capable browsers, but in
                                  > my situation I know most of the visitors to websites I create have a
                                  > recent version of IE.
                                  >
                                  > Regards,
                                  >
                                  > Hugo

                                  > MEDIA=print>
                                  > MEDIA=screen>

                                • john041650
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Feb 27, 2002
                                    I can answer this for you Neil, as I just left that site:

                                    http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/media.html

                                    Bear in mind, this is for the newer browsers...

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Feb 27, 2002
                                      >Just reread your suggestion about puting all in p, setting the basic % or em
                                      >size there. And I am familiar with using classes for snips inbetween. Do you
                                      >think it is better to go that way than use a fixed size like pixels? I'm
                                      >one of
                                      >these people who likes to know why then bingo! If you have the time.

                                      Ouch! I don't know if a dare to answer this. It's a topic that causes WAR
                                      on some lists. But if you force me, well, em or % for the main text at
                                      least. That's because I think font size should be relative to the reader's
                                      preferred size and be possible to resize in the browser. Pixels can't be
                                      resized in most browsers, among them IE5x

                                      There are as many people that swear by pixels though. Some of them because
                                      they like control and precise layout and others because em and % has had
                                      poorer support and been buggy earlier. I think it's IE3 that renders them
                                      as pixels. That's small! ;) But there must be a limit somewhere. Mine
                                      definitely is NS4 or rather a little to this side of it.

                                      It's up to what you want. But you started with % so I guess you like it. :)
                                      Here's an (lengthy) article that speaks for pixels. It's a little old, but
                                      explains the problems.
                                      http://www.alistapart.com/stories/fear4/

                                      Lotta
                                    • Greg Chapman
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Feb 28, 2002
                                        Hi Neil,

                                        > I am using NC 4.5 with text size set in style sheet, but printing
                                        > through browser print option, sizes are ignored. Is this normal. Am I
                                        > missing something?

                                        Probably! Netscape's appalling Style Sheet support.

                                        See: http://developer.netscape.com/support/bugs/known/css.html

                                        which is horse's mouth "We've got a lousy product" stuff!

                                        Greg