[NH] Re: To capitalise or not to...

  • Nicole Simon
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 21, 1999
      Jody wrote:
      > I'm sure Ni' will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe she was
      > talking about jumping around in Clipbooks.

      Ack. Not the one you get when you've pressed esc.

      > hard time getting that out. If "b" is pressed the clip Bold will
      > be focused if next in line. However, if "o" is pressed would
      > find Open, and not stay on Bold.

      Ack. But if you have these four entries:
      Bold
      Better Blue
      Very blue
      Better go where no man has gone before..

      Activating the clb via click into the clbwindows and pressing b three times
      lets you get to 'Better go where no man has gone before..'

      So I espect 'comment' to be reachable through pressing c several times an I
      like the T to get to the table things.

      Nicole

      --
      »So, you're searching for alien life forms? Don't you meet
      enough strange people in discussion lists like this one? ;o)«

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 21, 1999
        Hi Nicole

        > I like the T to get to the table things.

        All your post was true and I like my tags upper too. I use to
        use lower, but switched about a year ago, hence another reason
        for some of my older ones still having lower. I have been
        changing them on the fly as I run into them 'cause I'm too lazy
        to find the clip I have around somewhere for it in storage.

        Yeah, I know I could do a S&R on the tags pretty quick and be
        done with it... time............ :(

        eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
      • Grey Cat
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 21, 1999
          From: <ChrisPye@...>
          Sometimes the HTML tags are capitals, sometimes not, numbers or values may
          be in quotes, or not. What is the wisdom on this? Does it really matter if
          we capitalise or leave out the quote marks (") in HTML?

          As I understand it, it does not matter whether tags are capitolized or not.
          Some of us learned one way, some the other. My thinking is that caps make it
          easier to sort the tags out of the text on the page, but I realize that it's
          just my personal choice.

          Quotation marks are an entirely different question and *YES* it is extremely
          important that variables be in quotes for those tags which require quotes!
          Without the quotation marks, the tag option will not occur! I'm afraid that
          the reason that the quote requirement differs from one tag to another is the
          fault of HTML and browser designers/programmers!

          And probably not a viable thought: Is there a case for asking Notetabbers as
          a group to decide on a format?

          Several of the HTML libraries are available with either caps or not. What
          *I* like most about NTP is that it doesn't *tell* me how I should enter my
          tags, it just does them the way I choose! I think it would be absolutely
          terrible for us to "get together and decide" and then more or less force
          everyone to go along with it.

          I believe you can even edit tags in your favorite library if you want to
          change case!

          Hey! just try shouting at FrontPage over how it chooses to enter tags!!!

          Cat

          eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
        • Glenn Dixon
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 21, 1999
            well, I guess I'm just very unobservant! I've had NoteTab since it was a
            $10 piece of shareware ... version 1 something I think......I just never
            tried the mnemonic jump thing on any clip view window before.....

            one question.....if I am typing in a document window, what's the fastest way
            to shift the focus back to the clip window so I can type 'b' and move right
            to Bold? Is there a keystroke combination for this?

            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 21, 1999
              <snip>

              >I believe you can even edit tags in your favorite library if you want to
              >change case!
              >
              >Hey! just try shouting at FrontPage over how it chooses to enter tags!!!
              >
              >Cat

              FrontPage???.......uh-oh, don't get me started!! *LOL*

              Just for kicks, I'll give an example of how I want HTML tags to pop up in
              NoteTab clips. For instance, if I want to insert an image into an HTML page
              I want the clip to prompt me for file name, Height and/or Width, Alt=,
              border, etc. Of course, we each have our own preferences so I doubt there
              could ever be a 'standard' NoteTab clip structure or syntax.....

              Glenn Dixon
              glenn@...
              http://thedixons.net

              eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
            • Raymond Fitzgerald
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 21, 1999
                Hi Glenn,

                >one question.....if I am typing in a document window, what's the fastest
                way
                >to shift the focus back to the clip window so I can type 'b' and move right
                >to Bold? Is there a keystroke combination for this?

                Try Shift+F4 to switch to the clipbook window (and Ctrl+G to switch back to
                the document). But it may be easier and faster to use the in-context
                clipbook (ESC). That way you never leave your document. But autoscroll works
                a little differently. The clipbook window understands just the first letter
                you key, so, for example, typing "bb" would jump you from "bold" to "break"
                and then typing "a" will take you to "anchor." The in-context clipbook
                reads every letter you type to find just one clip. So "b" for "bold, "br"
                will take you to "break," and "bb" won't do anything.

                Cheers,
                Ray

                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 21, 1999
                  Hi all,

                  Chris wrote:
                  >Does it really matter if we capitalise or leave out the quote marks (") in
                  HTML?

                  Personally, I don't quote attribute values when it's not mandatory because
                  hitting that quote key is too much work and it adds to the file size. I
                  follow the basic rule of thumb of all numbers (width=600) or all letters
                  (valign=top) OK to not quote. But quote mixed (size="+1",
                  bgcolor="#000000").

                  This is from the W3C's HTML 4.0 specs
                  (http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/html40.txt):

                  In certain cases, authors may specify the value of an attribute without any
                  quotation marks. The attribute value may only contain letters (a-z and A-Z),
                  digits (0-9), hyphens (ASCII decimal 45), and periods (ASCII decimal 46). We
                  recommend using quotation marks even when it is possible to eliminate them.
                  Attribute names are always case-insensitive. Attribute values are generally
                  case-insensitive. The definition of each attribute in the reference manual
                  indicates whether its value is case-insensitive.
                  Cheers,
                  Ray Fitz

                  eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
                • Kay Roath
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 21, 1999
                    06/21/1999 9:02 AM Glenn Dixon wrote
                    > one question.....if I am typing in a document window, what's the fastest way
                    > to shift the focus back to the clip window so I can type 'b' and move right
                    > to Bold? Is there a keystroke combination for this?

                    Besides jumping to thr clip area or using In-Context or F2,
                    there's now the HTML-ar Library. To get <b></b> inserted
                    into the document, you would type <b followed by a space
                    (check the About clip for other keys that work also). If
                    you have text that you want surrounded by <b></b>,
                    highlight the text and press Escape then <b then Enter.

                    Of course, you need to have auto replace turned on for
                    things to work as I've described in my mostly lower case
                    way:)

                    --- Grandma Kay ---
                    http://notetab.kay.net

                    eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
                  • Rod Davies
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 21, 1999
                      I feel Clip libraries are best seen as "samples" or "examples". They are
                      offered to the Note Tab community as a way for sharing what has proved
                      useful to an individual, (and free of charge too!). Therefore the
                      inconsistency.. but when you think about it, consistency is not what clips
                      are about really... and the USP of Note Tab is that you can customise it to
                      work the way you want, for a trade off in learning curves....

                      The key is to put all the clips you feel are useful for you in your own
                      personal library(ies), edit them if necessary, and away you go... My tip is
                      to choose an existing library which is close to what you want, review and
                      edit if necessary each clip, and then copy clips you like from other
                      libraries into it, again editing as you go, It could take as little as 30
                      minutes to an afternoon.... It takes a small investment of time for a
                      highly personal and customised solution.

                      I am forever grateful to those who upload their clip libraries as I didn't
                      have to start from scratch. But it would be almost impossible for someone's
                      customised solution to match exactly another person's needs.

                      Changing all tags in a clip library to upper or lower case is a 2 minute
                      job, I am sure, once you know...

                      And I'm pretty sure there is a menu item or clip which does it
                      automatically. ..Though I'm not sure where it is (:-)!

                      But I guess my main point is that Clips are not part of NT per se but like
                      add-ons or "macro's" which extend functionality and customization.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 23, 1999
                        Rod Davies wrote:
                        [Rod, please don't put a fullqoute after your message]

                        > The key is to put all the clips you feel are useful for you in your own
                        > personal library(ies), edit them if necessary, and away you go...

                        JAp. But it's nice if you give the author of the clip a tip what you have
                        missed and what you would have prefered. This way, the author can decide
                        wether to take this suggestion into the library or not.

                        Why should you do so?
                        Because the next time a new version of your best liked library comes out,
                        you have to do your changes again. And again.

                        > But I guess my main point is that Clips are not part of NT per se but like
                        > add-ons or "macro's" which extend functionality and customization.

                        Oh, there are clips - but you can't include all cliplibraries which are
                        available on the website. :o)
                        Nicole