Fwd: Re: [NH] line nos

  • Bruce Somers
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 6, 2002
      -- I think some html validators report line numbers for errors without
      -- counting the empty lines which are of no consequence to html.
      -- Don Passenger

      Indeed! And the line numbers are generally quite useless.

      It is important that they display the code itself, where they suspect
      errors.

      It's so very inspiring to find that the errors are in code which the
      host (Geocities, for example) has appended to the author's code!

      Bruce

      Berufsunfähigskeitversicherung von Mamax bei WEB.DE.
      Jetzt informieren! http://bu.web.de
    • Adam Weston
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 6, 2002
        Thats what you get if you use geocities... ;)

        Lines are usually defined by the line terminator (carriage return)
        So, NoteTab's line numbers are only accurate with Word Wrap turned off.

        IMO, blank lines should be counted as well, I think this is usually the case
        when a browser reports an error. Although they make no difference to the
        HTML parser, they do have significance to humans writing code :)

        Indeed! And the line numbers are generally quite useless.

        It is important that they display the code itself, where they suspect
        errors.

        It's so very inspiring to find that the errors are in code which the
        host (Geocities, for example) has appended to the author's code!

        Bruce

        Berufsunf�higskeitversicherung von Mamax bei WEB.DE.
        Jetzt informieren! http://bu.web.de

      • Lotta
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 6, 2002
          Bruce wrote:
          >-- I think some html validators report line numbers for errors without
          >-- counting the empty lines which are of no consequence to html.
          >-- Don Passenger
          >
          >Indeed! And the line numbers are generally quite useless.

          I don't know which tools you refer to but no validator I know does that. I
          don't remember, but I don't think Tidy does it either.

          >It's so very inspiring to find that the errors are in code which the
          >host (Geocities, for example) has appended to the author's code!

          Well, if you for instance use http://validator.w3.org/ and choose "Validate
          by URI" it can't do anything else than validate the document as the server
          sends it. Upload the file from your disk instead and the problem is gone.

          >I know what a spelling checker does. But what is a spell checker?
          >Are there programs that can determine, for example, whether I an under
          >the influence of a hypnotist or a voodoo priest?

          No, afraid not. Are you in need of one?

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 6, 2002
            Hi All,

            I did not see anybody mention making a copy of the file and using
            Modify | Lines | Number lines. All blank lines are skipped and all lines ending with a CR/LF are numbered whether word wrap is on or off.

            5. MailBag Assistant\ (Installation program - Trial - eMail management tool)

            6. NoteTab Light\ (Freeware installation program, Optional Std Shareware) NoteTab Light\ (Freeware, compressed to fit on floppy disk) Third Part Products (Related freeware and shareware: Agent Ransack, BK Colour Coder, CSEHTML Validator, NetCaptor, HTML Tidy, Top Style, Word Web, Xenu)

            (The lines did have a bunch of breaks, so I joined them for the sample.)

            I have a Library that especially deals with numbering lines. I
            think there is a simple Clip in it to copy the file and Paste
            New, then number them. If you number lines a lot you might
            consider getting it.

            Here is one to print automatically from the Library:

            <--- Copy below this line --->
            H=Number and Print Makes a copy of document, numbers lines, prints, and discards temporary doc.
            ; http://www.notetab.net
            ; Last Updated 12-20-2000, Sojourner@..., jody
            ; Makes a copy of document, numbers lines, prints, and
            ; discards temporary doc.

            ^!SetHintInfo Printing...
            ^!SetScreenUpdate Off
            ^!Toolbar Copy All
            ^!Toolbar Paste New
            ^!Select All
            ^!Keyboard Alt+M L N Enter
            ; Take out "Enter" below if you want to
            ; control the print dialog
            ^!Keyboard Ctrl+P Enter
            ^!Close Discard

            <--- Copy above this line --->
            <--- Right click over a Library, and --->
            <--- Add from Clipboard --->

            Version 4.6 or higher required.
            Last updated on 01-28-2002, 10:31pm, jody
            http://www.notetab.net/zip/nnnlines.zip

            Get more Clips, Libraries... at:
            The NoteTabbers Assistant Page
            http://www.notetab.net