Re: [NH] Change browser?

  • Scott Fordin
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 6, 2002
      1/6/02 3:40:13 AM, Wayne VanWeerthuizen <waynevanw@...> wrote:

      >MCMAIER wrote:
      >
      >>Are you suggesting that IE should NOT be the default browser?
      >
      >Only NetCaptor Pro deserves to be the default browser. But that's just

      Opera! Opera! Opera!

      >>PS. From users of IE 6, I'd love to know pros and cons in the upgrade.

      The biggest issue with IE6, as far as I'm concerned, is its lack of support
      Java and Netscape-style plugins like Quicktime. I mean, that's just nasty
      on Microsoft's part. They couldn't kill Java outright, so they're just trying
      to make it go away by denying its existence. Breaking literally millions
      of Web pages in one fell swoop does *not* benefit consumers in any
      way at all. You can download and install your own Java distro (though
      Netscape-style plugins remain unsupported), but all reports indicate
      that IE6 simply does not like Java. To me, this is reason enough to
      stop at IE5.5. I will not install IE6.

      Regards,

      Scott
    • zgasmi
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 11, 2002
        i do not intend to change a browser..
        before having win me everything was fine..

        i suspect a bug in win me.
        is there a way to correct this through the command line, and how to
        use it? should it be saved as a clip??

        thank for ur help
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 11, 2002
          Hi zgasmi,

          You might try starting NoteTab from the commandline using a
          feature to tell NoteTab not to use DDE when launching files to
          open in your browser.

          An example is inserting the following in your Windows Start | Run
          field. (You need to change the path if you installed NoteTab
          elsewhere.)

          "C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe" /dde=false

          From Help:
          /DDE=True/False
          By default, NoteTab uses DDE to communicate with the Internet
          Explorer, Netscape, and Opera browsers. However, on some faulty
          systems (notably Windows ME), DDE calls can cause a system crash.
          To avoid such crashes, you can disable the DDE feature by using
          the /DDE=False switch. If you want to re-enable DDE at a later
          stage, use the /DDE=True switch. It is only necessary to use this
          switch once as the setting is remembered across NoteTab sessions.

          DDE is an acronym for Dynamic Data Exchange, an interprocess
          communication system built into Windows. DDE enables two running
          applications to share the same data. For example, DDE makes it
          possible to load a new page in a browser from Album Express without
          executing a second instance of the browser.

          The switch is essentially for Windows ME users. Some ME systems have
          a glitch that cause software to hang when a DDE communication is
          initiated.

          >my question pertains to setting : dde false
          >
          >before having 'win me' everything was fine..
          >now while trying to launching a browser ain from notetab, the program
          >is hanging..
          >
          >i suspect a bug in win me.
          >is there a way to correct this through the command line, and how to
          >use it? should it be saved as a clip??

          Happy Clip'n!
          Jody

          http://www.notetab.net