Re: [NH] Change browser?

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 6, 2002
      Hi MCMAIER,

      Since adding the path to NoteTab's main browser fixed NoteTab for
      you, all the following is simply to help you understand what I
      was trying to get at and other troubleshooting procedures. It
      may be time for some of the others to start filtering. ;)

      >"You can possibly fix it by having another browser take over as
      >your default browser." I thought that IE is my default browser.

      I was referring to a path problem being fixed in the registry.
      If another browser is installed, you should be told that it is
      not the default browser and would you like to make it so. If you
      choose yes, it should overwrite the default browser in the
      registry making a good path in it.

      >"I would reboot after changing your default browser"... Whoa.
      >Change it to what? I do not have any other browsers downloaded at
      >this time. Tried it with Opera and it was a disaster. That burn
      >hasn't worn off yet. Are you suggesting that IE should NOT be
      >the default browser?

      No, not at all on the IE being default, although some might argue
      that point. :-) If you do not have another browser to do it with
      to force the registry to be overwritten, then you will need to
      find where the registry settings are or reinstall IE, assuming
      that is the problem. (It would be best to sign up on the Off
      Topic list though to start messing with the registry, especially
      if it cannot be fixed in a couple more posts.

      FWIW, al lot of people that write HTML have at least the big 3
      browsers installed to make sure their pages look good in all of
      them. HTML code, browsers and bugs change too much to depend on
      just one browser,unless you are depending on visitors report
      display problems (which is rare for them to do so) or mailing
      lists like this. (That is why you see a number of posts going
      through that say something like,"This works great in IE, but not
      NS or Opera." That is usually due to using code that is not
      supported by the others, code used incorrectly, or a bug in the
      code or browsers.)

      >"When you added the path to IE in as your main browser you forced
      >NoteTab to use it instead. " But, it had no other choice anyway,
      >right? It's the only browser it can go to!

      Correct. I either assumed you have other browsers install since
      I have about six or so, ;) or you missed a part if I said, "If
      you have another browser installed," ...)

      >I "assumed" that IE did this automatically. First, where
      >precisely, is the default browser "checked"?

      It does make the check, but if it sees that it is the default
      browser, it will not tell you every time that it is already. You
      will only be told if it is not the default browser. The setting
      is in the registry. It is different for different Windows OS, so
      I cannot tell you where to check and do not know all the places.
      I've played with it before to make it work in Win95/98SE, but
      have not tried in XP Pro although I think I just saw where it is
      done. ;) If you feel brave you might open RegEdit.exe and do an
      Edit | Find, then search for browser or and/or default. If you
      do not make any changes,it is safe to do. If you do change
      something having to do with a browser default, *most likely* all
      you could mess up is the IE browser settings, and at the very
      worst have to reinstall Windows depending on what version of
      Windows you have. <g> (I suppose that most people would not
      recommend that you mess with the registry, but for me, on *my
      own* machine, how else am I going to learn it if I don't get
      burnt a few times a month since I seldom reference Help files.
      There is not fun when you are use to living on the edge to get
      those adrenaline bursts when a Help file tells you how to do it.
      <g>)

      >One strange thing I did find in IE>Tools>Internet Options>
      >Programs and that is "Adobe GoLive Application" is listed as the
      >HTML Editor. I didn't insert that. Strange, because I have never
      >installed the GoLive program. "ImageReady" is a part of Photoshop
      >which I use constantly, and it optomizes images for the web, but
      >it's no "editor" for me. The only other choice in that drop
      >down box is Notepad.( No, thanks.) GoLive cannot be removed,
      >unless I choose the "Reset Web Settings" which asks if the
      >original Internet Explorer defaults and homepage should be
      >restored. I don't want to do that, as I use Prodigy for homepage
      >and internet connections.

      The Abode thing could be a part of the PhotoShop install. I do
      not know since I do not have it. If you try to reset the default
      settings, that may fix your problem. You would then only need to
      change your preferences back to what you had them as. Other
      software that made changes may pop up a message saying something
      about no longer being the default or a cannot be found message.
      At that point you could reinstall the software. If the problem
      arises with NoteTab again after reinstalling the software, then
      you know where it is coming from.

      http://www.notetab.net

      Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
    • Scott Fordin
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 6, 2002
        1/6/02 3:40:13 AM, Wayne VanWeerthuizen <waynevanw@...> wrote:

        >MCMAIER wrote:
        >
        >>Are you suggesting that IE should NOT be the default browser?
        >
        >Only NetCaptor Pro deserves to be the default browser. But that's just

        Opera! Opera! Opera!

        >>PS. From users of IE 6, I'd love to know pros and cons in the upgrade.

        The biggest issue with IE6, as far as I'm concerned, is its lack of support
        Java and Netscape-style plugins like Quicktime. I mean, that's just nasty
        on Microsoft's part. They couldn't kill Java outright, so they're just trying
        to make it go away by denying its existence. Breaking literally millions
        of Web pages in one fell swoop does *not* benefit consumers in any
        way at all. You can download and install your own Java distro (though
        Netscape-style plugins remain unsupported), but all reports indicate
        that IE6 simply does not like Java. To me, this is reason enough to
        stop at IE5.5. I will not install IE6.

        Regards,

        Scott
      • zgasmi
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 11, 2002
          i do not intend to change a browser..
          before having win me everything was fine..

          i suspect a bug in win me.
          is there a way to correct this through the command line, and how to
          use it? should it be saved as a clip??

          thank for ur help
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 11, 2002
            Hi zgasmi,

            You might try starting NoteTab from the commandline using a
            feature to tell NoteTab not to use DDE when launching files to
            open in your browser.

            An example is inserting the following in your Windows Start | Run
            field. (You need to change the path if you installed NoteTab
            elsewhere.)

            "C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe" /dde=false

            From Help:
            /DDE=True/False
            By default, NoteTab uses DDE to communicate with the Internet
            Explorer, Netscape, and Opera browsers. However, on some faulty
            systems (notably Windows ME), DDE calls can cause a system crash.
            To avoid such crashes, you can disable the DDE feature by using
            the /DDE=False switch. If you want to re-enable DDE at a later
            stage, use the /DDE=True switch. It is only necessary to use this
            switch once as the setting is remembered across NoteTab sessions.

            DDE is an acronym for Dynamic Data Exchange, an interprocess
            communication system built into Windows. DDE enables two running
            applications to share the same data. For example, DDE makes it
            possible to load a new page in a browser from Album Express without
            executing a second instance of the browser.

            The switch is essentially for Windows ME users. Some ME systems have
            a glitch that cause software to hang when a DDE communication is
            initiated.

            >my question pertains to setting : dde false
            >
            >before having 'win me' everything was fine..
            >now while trying to launching a browser ain from notetab, the program
            >is hanging..
            >
            >i suspect a bug in win me.
            >is there a way to correct this through the command line, and how to
            >use it? should it be saved as a clip??

            Happy Clip'n!
            Jody