Re: [NH] Change browser?

  • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 6, 2002
      MCMAIER wrote:

      >Are you suggesting that IE should NOT be the default browser?

      I can't avoid the temptation to jump in here.

      Only NetCaptor Pro deserves to be the default browser. But that's just
      my person opinion, based solely on NetCaptor's beneficial features,
      rather than on any problems with Internet Explorer. In fact NetCaptor
      still requires IE. It just replaces the user interface. When using
      NetCaptor, it is still IE that is actually loading and displaying the
      page contents. NetCaptor's best feature is how it facilitates the
      handling of multiple browser windows, which would otherwise mean multiple
      instances of IE.

      But other than missing out on NetCaptor's features, there is no harm in
      having IE be the default browser.

      (See www.NetCaptor.com)

      >PS. From users of IE 6, I'd love to know pros and cons in the upgrade.

      I run Windows 2000 and use IE 6 with no problems. I upgraded to IE 6 at
      the same time I upgraded NetCaptor to its then current version. Doing so
      completely solved some stability problems I previously had.

      Of course big solution to the stability problems my system used to have
      was my upgrading the power supply... but that is a whole different story...
      and I've already rambled to much off topic here...

      --
      Wayne
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 6, 2002
        Hi MCMAIER,

        Since adding the path to NoteTab's main browser fixed NoteTab for
        you, all the following is simply to help you understand what I
        was trying to get at and other troubleshooting procedures. It
        may be time for some of the others to start filtering. ;)

        >"You can possibly fix it by having another browser take over as
        >your default browser." I thought that IE is my default browser.

        I was referring to a path problem being fixed in the registry.
        If another browser is installed, you should be told that it is
        not the default browser and would you like to make it so. If you
        choose yes, it should overwrite the default browser in the
        registry making a good path in it.

        >"I would reboot after changing your default browser"... Whoa.
        >Change it to what? I do not have any other browsers downloaded at
        >this time. Tried it with Opera and it was a disaster. That burn
        >hasn't worn off yet. Are you suggesting that IE should NOT be
        >the default browser?

        No, not at all on the IE being default, although some might argue
        that point. :-) If you do not have another browser to do it with
        to force the registry to be overwritten, then you will need to
        find where the registry settings are or reinstall IE, assuming
        that is the problem. (It would be best to sign up on the Off
        Topic list though to start messing with the registry, especially
        if it cannot be fixed in a couple more posts.

        FWIW, al lot of people that write HTML have at least the big 3
        browsers installed to make sure their pages look good in all of
        them. HTML code, browsers and bugs change too much to depend on
        just one browser,unless you are depending on visitors report
        display problems (which is rare for them to do so) or mailing
        lists like this. (That is why you see a number of posts going
        through that say something like,"This works great in IE, but not
        NS or Opera." That is usually due to using code that is not
        supported by the others, code used incorrectly, or a bug in the
        code or browsers.)

        >"When you added the path to IE in as your main browser you forced
        >NoteTab to use it instead. " But, it had no other choice anyway,
        >right? It's the only browser it can go to!

        Correct. I either assumed you have other browsers install since
        I have about six or so, ;) or you missed a part if I said, "If
        you have another browser installed," ...)

        >I "assumed" that IE did this automatically. First, where
        >precisely, is the default browser "checked"?

        It does make the check, but if it sees that it is the default
        browser, it will not tell you every time that it is already. You
        will only be told if it is not the default browser. The setting
        is in the registry. It is different for different Windows OS, so
        I cannot tell you where to check and do not know all the places.
        I've played with it before to make it work in Win95/98SE, but
        have not tried in XP Pro although I think I just saw where it is
        done. ;) If you feel brave you might open RegEdit.exe and do an
        Edit | Find, then search for browser or and/or default. If you
        do not make any changes,it is safe to do. If you do change
        something having to do with a browser default, *most likely* all
        you could mess up is the IE browser settings, and at the very
        worst have to reinstall Windows depending on what version of
        Windows you have. <g> (I suppose that most people would not
        recommend that you mess with the registry, but for me, on *my
        own* machine, how else am I going to learn it if I don't get
        burnt a few times a month since I seldom reference Help files.
        There is not fun when you are use to living on the edge to get
        those adrenaline bursts when a Help file tells you how to do it.
        <g>)

        >One strange thing I did find in IE>Tools>Internet Options>
        >Programs and that is "Adobe GoLive Application" is listed as the
        >HTML Editor. I didn't insert that. Strange, because I have never
        >installed the GoLive program. "ImageReady" is a part of Photoshop
        >which I use constantly, and it optomizes images for the web, but
        >it's no "editor" for me. The only other choice in that drop
        >down box is Notepad.( No, thanks.) GoLive cannot be removed,
        >unless I choose the "Reset Web Settings" which asks if the
        >original Internet Explorer defaults and homepage should be
        >restored. I don't want to do that, as I use Prodigy for homepage
        >and internet connections.

        The Abode thing could be a part of the PhotoShop install. I do
        not know since I do not have it. If you try to reset the default
        settings, that may fix your problem. You would then only need to
        change your preferences back to what you had them as. Other
        software that made changes may pop up a message saying something
        about no longer being the default or a cannot be found message.
        At that point you could reinstall the software. If the problem
        arises with NoteTab again after reinstalling the software, then
        you know where it is coming from.

        http://www.notetab.net

        Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
      • Scott Fordin
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 6, 2002
          1/6/02 3:40:13 AM, Wayne VanWeerthuizen <waynevanw@...> wrote:

          >MCMAIER wrote:
          >
          >>Are you suggesting that IE should NOT be the default browser?
          >
          >Only NetCaptor Pro deserves to be the default browser. But that's just

          Opera! Opera! Opera!

          >>PS. From users of IE 6, I'd love to know pros and cons in the upgrade.

          The biggest issue with IE6, as far as I'm concerned, is its lack of support
          Java and Netscape-style plugins like Quicktime. I mean, that's just nasty
          on Microsoft's part. They couldn't kill Java outright, so they're just trying
          to make it go away by denying its existence. Breaking literally millions
          of Web pages in one fell swoop does *not* benefit consumers in any
          way at all. You can download and install your own Java distro (though
          Netscape-style plugins remain unsupported), but all reports indicate
          that IE6 simply does not like Java. To me, this is reason enough to
          stop at IE5.5. I will not install IE6.

          Regards,

          Scott
        • zgasmi
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 11 4:46 AM
            i do not intend to change a browser..
            before having win me everything was fine..

            i suspect a bug in win me.
            is there a way to correct this through the command line, and how to
            use it? should it be saved as a clip??

            thank for ur help
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 11 1:14 PM
              Hi zgasmi,

              You might try starting NoteTab from the commandline using a
              feature to tell NoteTab not to use DDE when launching files to
              open in your browser.

              An example is inserting the following in your Windows Start | Run
              field. (You need to change the path if you installed NoteTab
              elsewhere.)

              "C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe" /dde=false

              From Help:
              /DDE=True/False
              By default, NoteTab uses DDE to communicate with the Internet
              Explorer, Netscape, and Opera browsers. However, on some faulty
              systems (notably Windows ME), DDE calls can cause a system crash.
              To avoid such crashes, you can disable the DDE feature by using
              the /DDE=False switch. If you want to re-enable DDE at a later
              stage, use the /DDE=True switch. It is only necessary to use this
              switch once as the setting is remembered across NoteTab sessions.

              DDE is an acronym for Dynamic Data Exchange, an interprocess
              communication system built into Windows. DDE enables two running
              applications to share the same data. For example, DDE makes it
              possible to load a new page in a browser from Album Express without
              executing a second instance of the browser.

              The switch is essentially for Windows ME users. Some ME systems have
              a glitch that cause software to hang when a DDE communication is
              initiated.

              >my question pertains to setting : dde false
              >
              >before having 'win me' everything was fine..
              >now while trying to launching a browser ain from notetab, the program
              >is hanging..
              >
              >i suspect a bug in win me.
              >is there a way to correct this through the command line, and how to
              >use it? should it be saved as a clip??

              Happy Clip'n!
              Jody