[NH] Re: members' only area

    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 16, 1999
      Hi Mark,

      >> I just had them turn it on for me *on* mine, but not allow to
      >> get to my parent folder.
      >
      > YIKES! :)

      > Once you allow someone to walk around your site, you're opening
      > doors for people to find things that they may think they want.
      > If they even _think_ they want it, they will get it.
      >

      > Be careful out there... :)

      I understand all that, but *for me* everything I have on my site
      I have it there for people to get - I don't put anything on the
      web - even under a password protected area - that I would not
      want them to have. (Not that I have one - use to use Gatekeeper
      for fun, but took it down.)

      http://www.sureword.com/notetab

      The NoteTab and Html List...
      mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
    • Marco Bernardini
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 17, 1999
        >From: chrispye@...
        >Subject: [NH] members' only area
        >I want to create a 'members' only' page on my website

        >From: "Grey Cat" <greycat@...>
        >easier solution is to just give the name of the page to those who are
        >allowed on it. i.e. wanttoknow.com/secrets.html

        >From: Jody <KJB1611@...>
        >You need to go cgi or the like for good security.

        >From: Mark Pulver <mpulver@...>
        >You should bring it up to your site admin or tech support folks and have
        >them configure the server to not allow directory browsing.

        Remember also to add to your root directory the file "robots.txt" to
        disallow private directories: if you write the file "secrets.html" I guess
        you don't like a link on AltaVista... even if the file is password protected.

        To avoid directory browsing it's enough to put into it an index.html file
        pointing elsewhere with a META redirection. BTW, the file "default.htm" is
        a standard only on NT servers...

        If your provider use Apache you can do a lot of interesting things with a
        directory: for example, you can hide some files from browsing, leaving
        visible other files.

        I suggest you to download Apache server (it runs even on Win95!).
        You can run it locally at the address http://localhost (there is a way to
        add local web addressess, but it's out of topic here) and you can
        experience everything you need *before* to put online your stuff, even CGI,
        counters and so on.
        I use it to "teach Internet" without the need of a modem.

        Another solution can be a FileMaker 4.x server: the database can track
        users and passwords, giving a very personal access to visitors, and there
        is no need of CGI. Moreover, the same file can be used on Win and Mac.

        Hope this helps!

        Bye

        Marco Bernardini
        webmaster at