Re: [NH]How does some one cloak an email address ??

  • Jim Hall
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 11, 2001
      Bill,

      At 06:34 PM 12/11/01 -0700, you wrote:
      >I have a website called domainsnregistry.com on a unix server and
      >I keep getting emails from merchants using my domainname and
      >then users I do not know .... like ashleys@...
      >does anyone know how this is done and how to stop it ???

      You need to go into your WebSite control panel/email setup and check out
      your setup criteria.

      If ashleys@... is getting through to you, then
      santaclause@... will too.

      Email advertisers know this and send stuff to anyname@....

      For 90% of the Web Sites, this stuff gets through to someone.

      The other 10% don't accept it or dump it off into a mailbox that gets full
      and starts bouncing all incoming mail.

      You can specify what is to be done with email addresses that don't meet
      your criteria.

      Regards,

      Jim
    • Piotr Bienkowski
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 11, 2001
        On 11 Dec 2001 at 17:14, Bill Scott wrote:

        > I have a website called domainsnregistry.com on a unix server and I
        > keep getting emails from merchants using my domainname and then users
        > I do not know .... like ashleys@... does anyone know
        > how this is done and how to stop it ???

        If they broadcast their emails through an open relay SMTP, they can put
        any "From:" address they like in their e-mail.

        Piotr
      • Adrian/ Rosemary Worsfold
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 12, 2001
          After Bill Scott

          It is too late! I have this problem too, and you notice how the email address changes around
          your own, either the sender or the receiver. All you can do is filter out those that have some
          regular repeat pattern, or likely to, via the email program, and just erase the rest physically
          and without looking. It is a curse, but unlike the rubbish that comes through the door you don't
          even have to look at them. They'll never give up though because it is too easy, but it is a
          waste of their time.

          Adrian Worsfold

          http://www.pluralist.co.uk