Re: [NH]How does some one cloak an email address ??

  • Bill Hartley
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 11, 2001
      Ask your hosting company....they all have different set-ups. I have been on
      about 10 different servers over time...and their interfaces and options are
      all different. If you get your mail on a remote site...go into your email
      client and set message rules. You just have a domain name that is one that
      people would use all of the time accidently.

      Bill

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 11, 2001
        Bill,

        At 06:34 PM 12/11/01 -0700, you wrote:
        >I have a website called domainsnregistry.com on a unix server and
        >I keep getting emails from merchants using my domainname and
        >then users I do not know .... like ashleys@...
        >does anyone know how this is done and how to stop it ???

        You need to go into your WebSite control panel/email setup and check out
        your setup criteria.

        If ashleys@... is getting through to you, then
        santaclause@... will too.

        Email advertisers know this and send stuff to anyname@....

        For 90% of the Web Sites, this stuff gets through to someone.

        The other 10% don't accept it or dump it off into a mailbox that gets full
        and starts bouncing all incoming mail.

        You can specify what is to be done with email addresses that don't meet
        your criteria.

        Regards,

        Jim
      • Piotr Bienkowski
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 11, 2001
          On 11 Dec 2001 at 17:14, Bill Scott wrote:

          > I have a website called domainsnregistry.com on a unix server and I
          > keep getting emails from merchants using my domainname and then users
          > I do not know .... like ashleys@... does anyone know
          > how this is done and how to stop it ???

          If they broadcast their emails through an open relay SMTP, they can put
          any "From:" address they like in their e-mail.

          Piotr
        • Adrian/ Rosemary Worsfold
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 12, 2001
            After Bill Scott

            It is too late! I have this problem too, and you notice how the email address changes around
            your own, either the sender or the receiver. All you can do is filter out those that have some
            regular repeat pattern, or likely to, via the email program, and just erase the rest physically
            and without looking. It is a curse, but unlike the rubbish that comes through the door you don't
            even have to look at them. They'll never give up though because it is too easy, but it is a
            waste of their time.

            Adrian Worsfold

            http://www.pluralist.co.uk